C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Power Door Locks and Power Seats

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 10:02 PM
CorvetteRules
Drifting

Received 334 Likes on 233 Posts
Default Power Door Locks and Power Seats

So when I bought my 91 in October of last year both the power locks and seats worked. Due to winter and having summer tires it sat unused for many weeks except for me starting it from time to time. One issue I found over that time was that a number of times I'd have to jump it to start so I just thought it was a battery issue. Over the course of winter I went ahead a got a new battery, but found that was also being run down over time.

The only issue I recall is one time I had to jump the battery one of the connectors came loose and caused some sparking. When I did find the locks and seats not working I looked in the FSM electrical book and fount that both items were feed from the 30 amp breaker in main fuse box. the door locks also have a fuse in line after the breaker, but that fuse was fine. However I noticed that the breaker was tripping and resetting every few seconds.

I pulled the breaker and placed a new one, but that also tripped and reset. The good news was that my battery stopped discharging over time. My confusion comes in because during the time the battery had draining issue the doors and seats worked fine. I'm not very good in following the electrical FSM. Is there a fusible link that I'm missing. And if so that doesn't answer why were seats and locks worked fine prior to finding issue with breaker tripping.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:42 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

I also had a problem with that same circuit at one point in time. In my case I found that the wife had put a lipstick tube in the well by the seat switch and I'd put a couple of things on it and it was pressing down on the lipstick tube which in turn was pressing down on the seat switch. Taking the weight off it released the switch ending my issue. In your case, I'd try pulling the connector off the power seat and see if that ends it, I'd look into a possible stuck switch as a starter.

Good luck.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:59 AM
bud40oz
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

same exact problem i have on a 91, i did pull the connectors loose under each seat but it does the same thing. be careful if you try to disconnect those plugs as they seem like they could break pretty easy, i had to use a small pic type screw driver and slightly pull the lock tab of the connector, it was sort of hard to see and find but after a minute of looking it over, you will see it. if you can stand on your head that long. i will be removing the switches in the console today or very soon here and inspect that area next. will keep you posted as what i find wrong with mine since i am sure it is the same. i have read on here there is a diode or some thing on the switch itself that seems to be a common issue/problem. that is my next step. then from there if it doesn't work i will take door panels off and look for a problem in there at the locks. but i bet it's the switch in the console from what i have read here.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:04 AM
BillDurant
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

wife's lipstick ya sure
Old 03-24-2019, 10:04 AM
CorvetteRules
Drifting

Received 334 Likes on 233 Posts

Last weekend I did unplug both the driver and passenger power seat connectors, but that didn't change anything. In the FSM I did see there is a diode in the diagram. As I said before however, I'm a dummy when it comes to reading the wiring diagrams. Anybody know where it is actually located in the wiring?
Old 03-24-2019, 10:08 AM
bud40oz
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

i don't know for sure, like i said i read it here some place, it sounded like it is right there on the switches though to me. i am heading to the garage as soon as it warms up this morning. supposed to be 50 today. finally get a decent day to actually work on this thing i bought last winter.
kind of funny you bought the car in october, i bought mine at the end of november, same years same problem. i was working on my seats last weekend also lol. we'll figure it out man. it's just some wires. i am no pro but i know a bit. just thinking if you could take a couple pics of that schematic and post it, that would be really helpful for me here. i also need electric fan schematics

Last edited by bud40oz; 03-24-2019 at 10:13 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Power Door Locks and Power Seats

Quick Reply: Power Door Locks and Power Seats