C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Newest ways of avoiding excessive heat on the LT1's

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 07:52 AM
StanJarensky
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Newest ways of avoiding excessive heat on the LT1's

Hi guys, first time poster here.

I just inherited a 1994 LT1 that my dad owned for a very long time. It's been taken good care of but I do know that it runs hot but my dad never took much action against it because he knew that the system was inherently designed to run that way. Me; it makes me a little worried. It'll run hot in stop and go traffic, it'll be fine when it's moving and getting air, or it'll pretty much always be fine if the A/C is on and the fans are running. I'm looking for ways to either get the fans to come on at earlier temperatures or I suppose adding in a manual fan switch would work. I'd be lying if I said that I wouldn't prefer the former.

Anyway, I've done a bit of researching and one thing I found was Corvettemods.com's Low Temperature Cooling Fan Kit which seems like it would potentially work, however when I researched it a little bit more (quite a few of the threads were on this forum, actually), I saw a lot of people stating that a kit like that would be a lot less useful without a ECM re-program. Those same people recommended seeing certain vendors or names but the problem is that all of those posts are from more than a decade ago. I haven't tried contacting anyone (yet) but I'm not even sure if those people are still in the business.

Point is: my LT1 runs hot like all LT1's do. I don't like it and I'd like for the cooling fans to come on a bit quicker. As of 2019, what's the best/easiest way to achieve this? Will the kit that I linked above work or will I also need to find someone to re-program the ECM?
Old 03-26-2019, 09:23 AM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,288 Likes on 870 Posts

Don't have much to say on the kit, but avoid corvettemods. They are the worst when it comes to customer service. Do a search on the forum.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:26 AM
BlowerWorks
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

LTx's do not run hot other than by GM design !!!!!! OMG when will we stop all this CRAP ?????? greg
The following 2 users liked this post by BlowerWorks:
KyleF (03-26-2019), Tom400CFI (03-26-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 09:29 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

100%.

You're looking to treat a psychological problem....not an actual one.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 03-26-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:44 AM
pacoW
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

that kit you referenced goes up to '91, you have a '94.

Cheapest way I found was this, https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...041398&jsn=446

Installed in my '96, works fine, don't even have to open up the cooling system.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:03 AM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

first and easiest thing to do is make sure there is no debris between the radiator and the condenser, lots of stuff accumulates there
The following users liked this post:
GRKLGHTNG (04-12-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 10:15 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

It is by design the car runs warmer, but if the fans are staying on there are some things you can do to help.

1. Make sure t-stat is working. It opens at 180F. If you see the digital gauge pause here for some time in the morning, its working. If it skyrockets beyond, it may be sticking. Don't trust analog gauge.
2. Make sure space between radiator and condensor is clear, it fills up with leaves and blocks airflow. You wouldn't think it would suck up that much but it can.
3. Verify fans are working, main should come on around 228F. If there is a pusher in front, it'll come about 10F higher.
4. Check that WP is not weeping.
5. If coolant has never been changed, change it all out. You should do it every few years anyway.

If you still feel uncomfortable after that, it does require PCM reflash to change the fan settings. You should not need a lower temp stat, 180 is fine. Upgrading the radiator to a thicker unit like DeWitt will solve any overheating issue that isn't coming from something internal to the motor like blocked passages, but normal coolant temps for the engine in traffic will be around the factory fan temps. Once youre moving the temps should be in the 200-215 (oil) and 180-190 (coolant) range.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:18 AM
StanJarensky
Instructor

The space between the radiator and condenser is clear. I'm already well aware that leaves and crap like to accumulate.

And I know that the LT1's run hot, but it still makes me paranoid. The last time it was inspected (which was a few years ago as NJ no longer requires inspection on cars that old), while sitting in line at the DMV on a 90F day, temperatures were a hair below the max line...like I said, temps seem to stay fine with the A/C and fans on. But if that's truly how things are designed, maybe I'll just learn to ignore it.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:01 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

The analog gauge will go to, or very near to "the max line" right before the fans come on. It's dumb, totally inaccurate/misleading...and almost worthless. THink of the analog gauge as a "cold/warm/HOT" indicator...not as an actual gauge. If you want real information, scroll to engine temp in the DIC and observe the digital display.

You're right; the gauge is disconcerting. Once you realize that it's virtually worthless, it becomes a lot less "stressful".
Old 03-26-2019, 11:09 AM
StanJarensky
Instructor

Got it. While the car has come out of hibernation, we're still seeing ~40F weather here in Jersey so I don't expect temps to be a problem for another couple of months but I'll keep that in mind. I'll start monitoring the electronic readout instead of the analog gauge. What's the "normal" temperature that I should be seeing on a hot day? Is 220-240 normal for sitting in stop and go traffic during a 90F day? I have seen those types of temps in those circumstances but that was also bright, Sunny, and with the targa top off so the A/C was off as well. Maybe it'd be better just to keep the A/C and fans on even with the roof off....
Old 03-26-2019, 12:18 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by StanJarensky
Got it. While the car has come out of hibernation, we're still seeing ~40F weather here in Jersey so I don't expect temps to be a problem for another couple of months but I'll keep that in mind. I'll start monitoring the electronic readout instead of the analog gauge. What's the "normal" temperature that I should be seeing on a hot day? Is 220-240 normal for sitting in stop and go traffic during a 90F day? I have seen those types of temps in those circumstances but that was also bright, Sunny, and with the targa top off so the A/C was off as well. Maybe it'd be better just to keep the A/C and fans on even with the roof off....
When you start going above 240 just driving around you have a problem. Otherwise I wouldn't worry too much. Mine has a hard time going above 230. Even breaking in the cam sitting at 2500 it wouldn't go above 230 in my drive way on 4th od July 2017 in jersey... temp was about 92 that day.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:35 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

240 (coolant) would be somewhat worrisome, 250 is the danger zone, 260 you better pull over and cut it off.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:50 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

What's the "normal" temperature that I should be seeing on a hot day? Is 220-240 normal for sitting in stop and go traffic during a 90F day?
Originally Posted by vader86
240 (coolant) would be somewhat worrisome, 250 is the danger zone, 260 you better pull over and cut it off.

It's my opinion that the fan should draw down the temps pretty fast, when "sitting in stop and go traffic". Bottom line? If MY temps went above 235 sitting in traffic, I'd be doing some cooling system maintenance. If I'm running my AC in traffic (which forces the fan on), then I don't expect it to ever go above 210.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:50 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...er-wetter.html
Old 03-26-2019, 01:09 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Hi guys, first time poster here.

I just inherited a 1994 LT1 that my dad owned for a very long time. It's been taken good care of but I do know that it runs hot but my dad never took much action against it because he knew that the system was inherently designed to run that way. Me; it makes me a little worried. It'll run hot in stop and go traffic, it'll be fine when it's moving and getting air, or it'll pretty much always be fine if the A/C is on and the fans are running. I'm looking for ways to either get the fans to come on at earlier temperatures or I suppose adding in a manual fan switch would work. I'd be lying if I said that I wouldn't prefer the former.

Anyway, I've done a bit of researching and one thing I found was Corvettemods.com's Low Temperature Cooling Fan Kit which seems like it would potentially work, however when I researched it a little bit more (quite a few of the threads were on this forum, actually), I saw a lot of people stating that a kit like that would be a lot less useful without a ECM re-program. Those same people recommended seeing certain vendors or names but the problem is that all of those posts are from more than a decade ago. I haven't tried contacting anyone (yet) but I'm not even sure if those people are still in the business.

Point is: my LT1 runs hot like all LT1's do. I don't like it and I'd like for the cooling fans to come on a bit quicker. As of 2019, what's the best/easiest way to achieve this? Will the kit that I linked above work or will I also need to find someone to re-program the ECM?
reprogram the ECM change fan setpoints (i can dig into my program and get you the temp on /off points)

add 160 tstat. Theres strong opinions both ways on this.

All i can say is mine used to run 220F, now runs at 170F as a result of those 2 changes

May get more worse emissions - i believe thats why gm made them run hot. May create a stinkier
exhaust (esp if you dont have cats).

good luck
Old 03-26-2019, 01:41 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I take it that you have read this through completely ..... and you are still concerned? No need to be concerned. BUT learn to use the digital temp readouts.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...peratures.html
Old 03-26-2019, 04:01 PM
2airtime2
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I've had my '92 for 3-4 yrs now. It took a little time to get used to but you will. Don't worry about it. My analog gauge just about pegs before the fans come on. The digital gauge goes to 220 something before they come on. Driving down the road on a cool day without the AC on mine will range from 198-207. Never overheated. It's a great engine, drive it.

Get notified of new replies

To Newest ways of avoiding excessive heat on the LT1's

Old 03-26-2019, 05:03 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Honestly, I have never heard anyone having problems related to the factory cooling system design. The temps can get higher than most people are used to, but not by much. If modern cars had digital temp gauges, you'd see them in the 210-220F range on a regular basis, maybe higher. Having said that...
The best way to keep things cool is to check everything as stated in post #7 -- and if you flush the cooling system, you MUST pull the knock sensors. Then, when everything is in good working order and you notice the temps getting too high for your "comfort," just turn on the AC as stated in post #13. This forces the fans on and the temps will drop quickly. Mine drops at least 15 degrees in 2 minutes once the AC is turned on. I don't mind my LT1 getting up around 220-225F but I don't like it to stay there, so if there's no sign of traffic moving soon, I simply kick on the AC. But whenever it needs a smog check, of course it sits there idling for like 20 minutes while the tech does their thing. Ya it gets hot but never had a problem.
Installing a cooler thermostat on your factory system will not make it more efficient. It simply lowers the temperature at which the thermostat begins to open. Once it's open, it's open. The engine temperature really depends on the capacity of the cooling system, i.e. how much heat it can dissipate.

Last edited by DGXR; 03-26-2019 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:17 PM
Joe93
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DGXR
Installing a cooler thermostat on your factory system will not make it more efficient. It simply lowers the temperature at which the thermostat begins to open. Once it's open, it's open. The engine temperature really depends on the capacity of the cooling system, i.e. how much heat it can dissipate.
This bears repeating. It seems to confuse a LOT of people.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:24 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

The space between the radiator and condenser is clear. I'm already well aware that leaves and crap like to accumulate.
That is only part of the problem; get a dental pick and be prepared to spend a couple of hours picking a thousand bug pieces, grains of sand, and who knows what, that have lodged themselves into the cooling fins of the A/C condenser and radiator. This I know.

Quick Reply: Newest ways of avoiding excessive heat on the LT1's