C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

96 C4 Convertible, mystery.!!!

Old 04-07-2019, 10:22 PM
digaf

Recieved 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 C4 Convertible, mystery.!!!

Thanks Hi, new to the site and seeking help from more knowledgeable Vette owners. I have a 96 C4 Convertible with an auto gearbox. The symptoms are as follows, the car always starts first time but upon engaging drive, will stay in a low gear and sometimes the engine will cut out . Usually when restarted, will run ok for a short distance and then cut again. I should mention the service engine light is on and flashes when this happens and the security light to the left of the dash illuminates. Start the engine again, the security light will go out and the service engine now light will be on continuously, put the gearchange in D and it will then drive normally with smooth gear changes etc. Could this be caused by a faulty computer board as has been suggested to me by another Vette owner. !!!?? Thanks for any advice.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:27 AM
Kevova
CF Senior Member

Recieved 343 Likes on 327 Posts

You need to find out what code(s) are stored. When service engine soon light is on the engine control module recognizes a fault. The ECM stores a code indicating failure.

https://tech.corvettecentral.com/201...trouble-codes/
The following users liked this post:
digaf (04-08-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 08:52 AM
pacoW
CF Senior Member

Recieved 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Need to pull the codes, good news is you have OBD2, the code scanners are more common. Have someone with a scanner run the codes and report back. In the meantime try and check fuel pressure at the rail, key on engine off, then start it and check again.
The following users liked this post:
digaf (04-08-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 03:08 PM
digaf

Had a new ECM programmed and fitted today and, fingers crossed, the car runs smoothly with everything functioning as it should. Will,weather permitting, do a good run tomorrow to confirm problem is rectified.!!!!! Thanks for the advice received, nice to know there are knowledgeable Vette owners willing to share their experience.!!!!!
Old 04-15-2019, 03:15 PM
Saxpro1

I have a 1992 C4 Corvette and I cannot get my headlight to go down I try installing a new headlight module but got the same result headlight will not go down but they do pop up just not down Help
Old 04-15-2019, 03:54 PM
Kevova
CF Senior Member

Recieved 343 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Saxpro1 View Post
I have a 1992 C4 Corvette and I cannot get my headlight to go down I try installing a new headlight module but got the same result headlight will not go down but they do pop up just not down Help
You need to start this as its own thread.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: