C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Sticky/ reluctant power door locks

Old 04-14-2019, 02:25 PM
Dominic Sorresso
CF Senior Member

Recieved 150 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Sticky/ reluctant power door locks

I just swapped door panels and in the interim also tried to loosen up the power door lock operation. However, once I got things put back together, the locks now donít move at all. And even trying to operate the locks manually is difficult. The operation is jerky not smooth. Anyone else have experience w this? Any tips or tricks?
Old 04-14-2019, 02:46 PM
Tom400CFI
CF Senior Member

Recieved 611 Likes on 544 Posts

I have experienced the same thing. What I've learned is that I'm not qualified to R&R door panels. So....I'm on this thread.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:11 PM
VikingTrad3r
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Recieved 395 Likes on 367 Posts

what year
Old 04-14-2019, 05:17 PM
Tom400CFI
CF Senior Member

Recieved 611 Likes on 544 Posts

We both have '92's.
The following users liked this post:
Dominic Sorresso (04-14-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 05:28 PM
Sleazy Rider
CF Senior Member

Recieved 35 Likes on 33 Posts

the passenger side door lock is sticking while trying to lock. what i have been doing is to hit the door lock a couple times for it to lock. it unlocks fine and the drivers side works as it is supposed to. one of these days i will pull the door panel and see what's going on.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:28 PM
confab
CF Senior Member

Recieved 311 Likes on 276 Posts

I don't have a 92.. But cleaning and working and reworking every part of the windows and door locks, along with a liberal application of sil-glide and silicone spray did wonders for both.

It had some kind of dried up, yellowed, grease on it (White Lithium, maybe?) that was doing nothing but causing problems.

Once the parts inside the door worked smoothly, I noticed I needed to be careful when attaching the panel and the controls on the panel, because it would then bind up there and behave poorly. The parts that go behind/with the handle on an 85.

Old 04-14-2019, 06:10 PM
Dominic Sorresso
CF Senior Member

Recieved 150 Likes on 111 Posts

My passenger side worked well enough. I had to keep bumping the switch on the D/S to get it to Lock. Even w the door panel, there just wasn’t enough uuumph to get it to lock. The whole mechanism is a bit klugie frankly. That little lever that the locking rod snaps into looks like an engineering joke. The actuator pushes vertically to get the rod to move horizontally.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:24 AM
fasttruck
CF Member

Recieved 1 Like on 1 Post

I removed the entire door lock and soaked it in carb cleaner. Once cleaned and lubed they worked like new.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: