C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

GMP Low Temp Cooling Fan Kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 03:04 AM
Cresencio Aragon
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GMP Low Temp Cooling Fan Kit

Recently I bought a GMP low temp cooling fan kit from Ecklers. My Corvette is an 86 and the instructions said it should be located on the left cylinder head, I looked and there was no place to install the part. I know they may have rebuilt or swapped the motor prior to me owning the car. I have a switch on the right cylinder head but I think its the temp switch that reads to the dash? I am completely lost on how to install this switch. Thank you for any advice.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:59 PM
3D-Aircrew
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Cresencio Aragon
Recently I bought a GMP low temp cooling fan kit from Ecklers. My Corvette is an 86 and the instructions said it should be located on the left cylinder head, I looked and there was no place to install the part. I know they may have rebuilt or swapped the motor prior to me owning the car. I have a switch on the right cylinder head but I think its the temp switch that reads to the dash? I am completely lost on how to install this switch. Thank you for any advice.
Do you still have the Tuned Port Ignition ? You may have an LS. Let me look up the switch location in the FSM for an 86.

OK on the 86 the fan temperature switch is located on the passenger side aft of the dipstick ~ 2 inches.

Last edited by 3D-Aircrew; 04-16-2019 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:41 AM
Cresencio Aragon
5th Gear

Yes I still have the Tuned Port Injection, I pulled the switch and tried to install the new one but it does not fit. I am wondering if this part will even work? Thanks for your help.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:00 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,102 Likes on 874 Posts

Hello CresencioAragon!

Welcome to The Corvette Forum!! WE are glad you are here!

I just opened my 1988 Factory Service Manual and it shows the sensor mounted between cylinder #1 and #3 as being the "COOLANT FAN TEMPERATURE SWITCH". It has a green wire with a white stripe I think going to the sensor on my 1988 C4. Check for the hole and see if someone removed the switch as the car will run fine without it, just don't expect the cooling fans to work properly. I would imagine that your new switch just turns the fan earlier.

Just to be sure that we are speaking the same language the engine has cylinder numbers. While facing the front of the car standing in front of the radiator. The very front spark plug on the drivers side is Number 1,then #3,#5 and #7. On the passengers side bank you have cylinders (Starting at the front) #2,#4,#6 and #8.

The Factory Service manuals for your particular year are one of the first things any new Owner should get. They are available on DVD or in print. My 1988 has two separate books and supplement and is more expensive than the DVD version.

Good Luck with your Corvette, We'll help keep you on the Road!
Old 04-18-2019, 11:48 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

If you have the RPO B4P booster fan option there will be a temp sensor between #1 & #3, else there will be a plug.

Try removing that plug and install your new temp sensor in that location.
The following 2 users liked this post by 65Z01:
ctmccloskey (04-19-2019), ijakie1 (03-12-2020)
Old 04-18-2019, 12:30 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Originally Posted by 65Z01
If you have the RPO B4P booster fan option there will be a temp sensor between #1 & #3, else there will be a plug.

Try removing that plug and install your new temp sensor in that location.
More importantly 'maybe' if the RPO and fan do exist make damn sure the fan actually works before doing a thing. If the fan doesn't power up from direct B+ the rest is wasted!!

OP also seems to be very unsure of what it is that's been purchased! OP could do him self a favor perhaps in mentioning 1st the part # of the kit purchased from Eckler.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 04-18-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:29 AM
Cresencio Aragon
5th Gear

Hello,
I know my fan works because I bought an OBD1 scanner from Auto Zone and plugged it in and my fan kicked on. The part number is 25-113224-1 This switch is supposed to replace the old switch located between cylinder 6 and 8. I know cylinder 6 and 8 are located on the passenger side close to the oil dipstick. This switch is too big and will not fit in the cylinder head, I do not have the RPO option which is the extra cooling fan.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:16 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Do you know were is the coolant fan relay?
Is it is located on the left hand fender under the brake MC?
If so, remove the plug below #1 & #3 and tap into the control line for the relay.

Does your FSM show which wire into the relay comes the temp sw and which one comes from the ECM?
Old 05-10-2019, 09:10 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
If you do NOT have the B4P aux cooling fan, there should still be a switch between #1 and #3 with a grn/wht wire. It is an over-ride switch for the main fan. (If the ECM controls fail, the switch takes over). Find the grn/wht wire. It is in the sub-harness branch that goes to the alternator. With the key = ON, but engine not running, ground the grn/wht wire. Main fan should run. If = YES, you've identified the wire, and verified that the circuit is intact. Just need a switch that fits the hole in the head.
I've 'never' seen this mentioned previously and I've never seen a FSM that had an 'over-ride' mentioned in diagnostics.

The kit by part # the OP says he purchased should 3/8-18 NPT switch and 'IF' his car had B4P he could use this switch for B4P OR he could choose to install it and use it as an 'over-ride/supplemental' as you've mentioned. Someone would need to offer up installation to be used as such. OP says he doesn't have B4P so there should be a plug.@ 1 & 3. OP hints it's still an L98.

OP seems very confused ..........................

OP - do you have the FSM (Factory/Field Service Manual)

Eckler install:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Eckler install.pdf (859.7 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-10-2019 at 09:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ijakie1 (03-12-2020)
Old 05-10-2019, 02:18 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
So I was wrong. BFD. I don't mind being corrected, that's how we learn ****. But you're such a dic about it.
IHBD, you're a pro, and we count on your answers being reliable. I think WVZR-1 was being courteous to you, when he questioned your information. I think you owe him an apology.

Old 03-12-2020, 10:26 AM
ijakie1
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ABSOLUTELY EXACT.

Get notified of new replies

To GMP Low Temp Cooling Fan Kit

Quick Reply: GMP Low Temp Cooling Fan Kit