C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

rides like a tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 06:05 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Certain tires are definitely sensitive to air pressure. I run 32psi cold, and whenever I've gone up to 35 it didn't do well, but below 30 in the tires I've used didn't seem good either, so I keep it in that range.

Shocks can make a big difference, its not everything but they can keep your fillings in place. KYBs are more for a cruiser and will ride easy, I run these now and don't like them, but if you just cruise around then they are what you need. I'm going back to Bilsteins when these wear out because I prefer their feel.

At this age, some rubber bushings will have disintegrated, so you will definitely want to check those. The rubber bushings will ride better.

Last edited by vader86; 04-22-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:13 PM
bud40oz
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 92ragtop
The date code on the tires is found on the side-wall in an oval marking. The code is the week # and year #. E.g. 1018 = 10th week of 2018.
okay, i will go in the garage n look now... so yeah, i found a 4312 on the sidewall, so 43 week of 2012 he probably bought them the spring of 2013 drove it for 13 and 14.. then had the fire in 15 and never drove it again. so the tires are a good 6 years old, i wont feel too bad about burning them off for the summer then .. .

also i know what you mean about the bushings being old, i should put that on the to do list for down the road as well. but honestly i have never in my life seen a car that is what 28 years old look about new on the under side. i was in awww while i was under it changing that hurst shifter out.. was just like my god man a power wash and this thing would look brand new. the guy probably never even drove it in the rain by the looks of it

Last edited by bud40oz; 04-22-2019 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:30 PM
bigfish_Oh
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

what does it say inside your door for tire pressure?, doesn't mean anything on tires. My first Corvette 7 months ago rode rough like I always heard, then i saw why, you don't go by tires , you go by the car., rides like a dream now. and on 23 year old tires.

Last edited by bigfish_Oh; 05-02-2019 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:14 PM
bud40oz
Racer

Originally Posted by bigfish_Oh
what does it say inside your door for tire pressure?, doesn't mean anything on tires. My first Corvette 7 months ago rode rough like I always heard, then i saw why, you don't go by tires , you go by the car., rides like a dream now. and on 23 year old tires.
yeah, i drove it today to get my new wind shield installed, it drove great when the road was smooth, with no pot holes or humps, 3'rd gear is fun... i can only imagine what it would be like with 4.10. instant neck snappage lol...can't wait

Last edited by bud40oz; 05-02-2019 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:27 PM
lotsofspareparts
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

My 88 Z52 Convertible is a pretty smooth ride going down the highway or the freeway. It can certainly jar the car a bit if I run over a rough rail road crossing or hit a larger pothole. I am currently running the OEM Bilstein shocks with 120,000 miles on them, and have ordered B6 Bilsteins as their replacements.

No experience with Gabriel or Sensa-Trac shocks, I did install new KYB's on our 06 Durango and was impressed with the ride quality..... but it weighs 6000lbs and is a floater going down the road anyways.

I've heard the KYB's are fine for the C4's as long as the car is just a cruiser, but are not valved correctly for the spring rates in our cars..... which can be different depending on the suspension package you have. ALOT of body roll is the most widely used complaint.

The biggest improvement in my ride quality came form the Toyo Proxes + 4's that I just had installed. They cost $1100 but I have always installed Toyos on our vehicles because of the longevity of them and the fact that they are a really quiet tire. My Vette had 19 year old Dunlop Sport tires on it when I purchased it, even with 9/32 tread left on the tire, they were hard and had flat spots in them and the car rode like crap!!

I actually had to experiment with my tire pressures. The sidewall max is 51psi, I started at 32psi and worked my way up to 40psi to get the combination of ride quality with drivability. There was a small sacrifice in ride smoothness running a higher pressure but the lower pressure was causing these 275mm wide tires to disagree with the grooves in the freeway and I felt like I was driving a pinball down the road. With the higher pressure it doesn't really pinball anymore.

Just my experience and the 2 cents to accompany it.

Jared
Old 05-02-2019, 09:40 PM
bud40oz
Racer

when /if i do buy tires it will be the original type goodyear eagles......
and since you can not buy them with raised white letter any more for some reason... i will make it myself that way

Last edited by bud40oz; 05-02-2019 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:07 PM
lotsofspareparts
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by bud40oz
Since you can not buy them with raised white letters anymore for some reason... i will make it myself that way
Man I wish you could buy white letter tires in our sizes. I think they would look sharp and would be a throwback look!!

Jared
Old 05-05-2019, 04:57 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by bud40oz
do all these C4's ride rough as a tank, The rpo code says soft ride suspension. i don't know what gm's idea of soft is but wow, this thing is supposed to have new shocks on it according the the paper work i found in the glove box . is there a good afer market shock that helps the ride? i know the shocks they put on were not the bilsteins or whatever it probably had new. i think there were a gabriel brand i would have too look at the paper work again to find out exact model. it's pretty bad when my 4 wheel drive truck rides smoother than my corvette. i admit the roads here in michigan are wrecked after a winter but i certainly was expecting a much better ride than this
very
Hi

There are Z51 rated shock absorber's that make a non Z51 car ride very very hard, look for standard shock absorber's and the car should ride a lot better.
Check the 3 digit code on the spring (on passenger side near the lower control arm), google the code to make sure that someone has not changed them..

They all look similar if you can easily compress the shock absorber it will be fine, the Z51 rated ones are very hard to compress quickly by hand.
Because you are just about sitting on the rear suspension, the rear shocks will affect ride feel the most.

Cheers
Old 05-05-2019, 09:54 AM
GRIS
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Not to be snarky, but my tanks rode pretty damn smooth, even cross country :-)
Old 05-05-2019, 10:22 AM
auburn2
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

The C4 rides like a sports car, plain and simple. Not like a sports car trying to be a grocery getter.

On the plus side the seats are soft and the cushions take up a lot of the bumps.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:26 AM
auburn2
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by GRIS
Not to be snarky, but my tanks rode pretty damn smooth, even cross country :-)

Ha Ha. .... not a tanker myself, but I do have some experience driving Russian tanks and other Russian tracked vehicles. I must say based on limited experience I have to agree with you, I could drive cross country in a Russian tank pretty smooth at 50kmh (25-ish) when a 4x4 would bounce me out oin the same terrain if I was trying to do more than 10.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:31 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by lotsofspareparts
Man I wish you could buy white letter tires in our sizes. I think they would look sharp and would be a throwback look!!

Jared
There are kits you can buy to install raised white letters on any tire.

Quick Reply: rides like a tank