C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

96 Corvette ABS and ASR lights on

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 12:34 AM
drifter5674
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 96 Corvette ABS and ASR lights on

I have a 96 Corvette Collector Edition LT4 six speed. ABS light and ASR light come on and stay on just as soon as I bring throttle of idle. Transmission in neutral car sitting still. It stays on till I shut off the ignition and restart the engine. Will idle without the ABS ASR light coming on till you bring throttle off idle. (transmission still in neutral car sitting still)Then the lights come back on and stay on.
Has after market wheels light stays of indicating tire pressure monitoring system not working. So am assuming tire pressure sensors weren't installed with the new wheels. Just guessing.
Just got the car today.
Also interested in finding out a good replacement clutch set. Clutch slips under hard acceleration. I see a lot of clutch sets listed. Some claiming OEM replacement all the way to stage 3 clutch sets. Not interested in a racing clutch, just a good smooth operating one.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:06 AM
C4Newb
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds similar to the symptoms my '96 had when I got it. ABS light on, ASR light on and the cruise control did not function. The fix turned out to be repairing bad grounds on the drivers side of the engine. There are at least four ground wires that hook to a bolt at about 10:00 position on the bellhousing, and three or four more that connect to the same bolt that holds the negative battery cable to the engine block. None of them are easy to see and get to.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:42 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

What is the fluid level in the reservoir?

Also, it is humbly suggested that you only post one problem per post. Enter a new post for your clutch concerns.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:29 PM
Tinman28
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was chasing my ABS light issue for over a year with no luck. Finally decided to pull ABS pump, remove ABS bulbs and hard line in the brake lines. Best decision ever. Car stops better then it ever did. Let me know if you need the fittings to do the job if you decide to go that route.

Last edited by Tinman28; 04-22-2019 at 01:30 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 96 Corvette ABS and ASR lights on

Quick Reply: 96 Corvette ABS and ASR lights on