C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1990 C4 cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 02:08 PM
c46
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1990 C4 cranks but won't start

Hi,

There's a c4 for sale near me for just $1200, and the listing goes as follows:

Chevy Corvette, 1990, doesn't run, interior poor, clean title. I thought I could get it running but don't know enough about them, does turn over but wont start. new starter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil & Ecm. Complete car,It will have to be towed.
So, my question is, what could be wrong with it and what would it take to get it up and running (difficulty/cost of possible repairs)?
Is buying this car a huge mistake, even at this price, or are they pretty resilient?

Here is a picture of the engine from the listing:

Thank you for any advice!
Old 04-22-2019, 03:23 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Could be something simple, but probably not, based on the money the owner has already dumped into the car. Sounds like a mechanics special. Do you have the experience and tools to tackle a big unknown? First questions: What's missing . . . fuel pressure to the injectors, . . . or spark? It could be more than that, but there's no way to know until you are sure those two things are good.

Looks like it's been sitting for a long time. It will need new tires.

Old 04-22-2019, 03:32 PM
pacoW
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Well pretty simple to check for fuel and spark. If you don't know how bring someone with you who does.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:34 PM
CorvetteRules
Drifting

Received 334 Likes on 233 Posts

If owner actually replaced all of the ignition parts and still won't start it could just be on fuel side (fuel pump, filter, injectors etc.). Like said above it looks like hasn't been treated very nicely just looking at engine bay. For $1,200 and you realize going in it will be a project for you to play with understanding it may cost a few hundred to fix or may cost much more.

I'm a recent owner (October last year) and I made sure the 91 I bought ran decent because I'm at the stage of life that laying on my back or getting my older tired hands trying to bend in directions they just don't do anymore are things I just can't do anymore.

But as I said, for $1,200 you can't go too wrong and I'd bet if you end out parting it out you can easily make your initial investment back.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:26 PM
c46
Cruising

I appreciate all your replies, and I was highly considering the car and planning to go check it out, but unfortunately the listing has just spontaneously disappeared.

I suppose it wasn't meant to be
Old 04-22-2019, 08:35 PM
CorvetteRules
Drifting

Received 334 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by c46
I appreciate all your replies, and I was highly considering the car and planning to go check it out, but unfortunately the listing has just spontaneously disappeared.

I suppose it wasn't meant to be
Keep looking, it took me 3 months of looking before I found one I wanted.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:39 PM
c46
Cruising

Originally Posted by CorvetteRules
Keep looking, it took me 3 months of looking before I found one I wanted.
It took me a year to find my current car! Hoping it doesn't take that long this time

Get notified of new replies

To 1990 C4 cranks but won't start

Quick Reply: 1990 C4 cranks but won't start