Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Bolt sizes in FSM

Old 05-06-2019, 05:50 PM
az_camaro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bolt sizes in FSM

Where in the Factory Service Manual does it refer to the bolt size used for a specific application/part install?
I'm trying to put my car back together after the person who took it apart just dumped the bolts in a Rubbermaid tub all mixed together.
All help appreciated!!!!
Old 05-06-2019, 08:47 PM
1971chevroletnova

good luck! mine in PDF format only shows "bolt" seems to be a mix of metric and US on the engine at least
Old 05-07-2019, 02:59 PM
ctmccloskey
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 176 Likes on 154 Posts

That is good information to know! Thank you ihatebarkingdogs!

I used to have a couple early 1960's British motorcycles that used Wentworth Threads (sp?) I used to have three tools sets to be able to work on my early British Toys. Then I learned about Lucas, The Prince of darkness and his connection with British Engineers and gave up on British cars and motorcycles.

In the assembly manual they list out the bolts used where and when. I have always wondered why they don't make any assembly manuals for the C4 Corvettes. They are very handy.

Best Regards!
Chris
Old 05-08-2019, 08:30 AM
Randy M
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Chris,

I agree, it would be nice to have an assembly manual for the C4. Unfortunately the C3 was the last assembly manuals they offered.
The following users liked this post:
ctmccloskey (05-08-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 09:14 AM
NavAir
CF Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ctmccloskey View Post
I have always wondered why they don't make any assembly manuals for the C4 Corvettes. They are very handy.
Probably because the manufacturer wanted to discourage non-dealer mechanics (including DIYs) from sourcing fasteners from suppliers other than the (way overpriced) dealers. If you needed to get a part, you would go to the dealer, who would look it up in the parts manual, and order by part number (not SAE or DIN designation).
Old 05-08-2019, 02:11 PM
Randy M
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Well, I am thinking that, no assembly manuals, and assembly manuals that exist and are not available for us to buy is kinda the same thing.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:41 PM
az_camaro

Thank you for the responses. Knowledge is a powerful thing
Old 05-13-2019, 08:02 PM
Joe C
CF Senior Member

Received 518 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by az_camaro View Post
Where in the Factory Service Manual does it refer to the bolt size used for a specific application/part install?
I'm trying to put my car back together after the person who took it apart just dumped the bolts in a Rubbermaid tub all mixed together.
All help appreciated!!!!
in most cases, the factory parts and illustration manual, will list the specs of the hardware. here's a simple case showing the alternator mounting for a 1984, L83 corvette. in addition to the FSM, parts manuals are a must have. some of the abbreviations in the description can be a bit challenging at times. hard copies are available thru 1993 (last printing), 94-96 (i'm thinking) on-line .pdf.

note mixture of unified national thread and metric.

Last edited by Joe C; 05-14-2019 at 06:31 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:35 AM
Joe C
CF Senior Member

Received 518 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by 1971chevroletnova View Post
good luck! mine in PDF format only shows "bolt" seems to be a mix of metric and US on the engine at least
engines (long blocks) are assembled in national fractional. anything that bolts to the engine, e.g., accessories, will be metric.

Originally Posted by ctmccloskey View Post
That is good information to know! Thank you ihatebarkingdogs!

I used to have a couple early 1960's British motorcycles that used Wentworth Threads (sp?) I used to have three tools sets to be able to work on my early British Toys. Then I learned about Lucas, The Prince of darkness and his connection with British Engineers and gave up on British cars and motorcycles.

In the assembly manual they list out the bolts used where and when. I have always wondered why they don't make any assembly manuals for the C4 Corvettes. They are very handy.

Best Regards!
Chris
"whitworth" - major difference between national and british whitworth is the thread profile - in most cases unified national hardware will have a "V" cut @ 60 thread, whereas, whitworth are smooth cut at 55. I have an old 74 Norton Commando 850 - in a pinch and in non-critical applications, I've swapped out whitworth for national. they seem to torque OK, however, I only do this if it's my only option, and always with blue thread locker.

https://www.rustmag.com/gear/2018/1/...thread-systems

Originally Posted by NavAir View Post
Probably because the manufacturer wanted to discourage non-dealer mechanics (including DIYs) from sourcing fasteners from suppliers other than the (way overpriced) dealers. If you needed to get a part, you would go to the dealer, who would look it up in the parts manual, and order by part number (not SAE or DIN designation).
only partially true - see my post on the parts and illustration -

speaking of other suppliers, I've purchased small quantities from the Bolt Barn - they are fleabay vendors/sellers. stuff appears to be decent quality, along with decent pricing. here's an example -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-M10-1-5x3...IAAMXQgb1RP9LZ

Last edited by Joe C; 05-14-2019 at 07:29 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bolt sizes in FSM

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: