C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

90 convert air blend door repair, done

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 08:26 AM
wedgeheaded
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 convert air blend door repair, done

First, I've gotten good tips from this site so I thought I'd give back. The FSM does NOT address this but the electrical book does. It's not helpful though. See 8A-68-2, pg 201-0 fig 1. This started out as replacing a cracked brake booster and morphed into fixing the air blend door motor since I was in so deep. The 1st pic is the gutted dash. I had to remove the duct that runs side to side. The second pic shows OE and BK wires laying on a small plastic duct that is rivited onto the dash with 2 large BK rivits. The air door blend motor is behind it, in a tiny cubby hole. I had to drill out the rivits. You will need a tiny 7mm box end wrench and 7mm socket with U joint for the screws. The 3rd pic shows the hole I cut using a Dremal with a round head burr bit. I had to unplug it from the motor side due to wire length. (The second screw is under the windshield edge lip.) I still have to cover the hole and seal it. (My plan is to use foil furnace duct tape and Flex Seal) Anyway I had 15-16 hrs in this but that does include the brake booster replacement. I still have to put everything back too. Not for the faint hearted but it's doable. I'm 59, can never see what I'm working on, and have joint issues. So, no excuses from the young pups.

Last edited by wedgeheaded; 05-12-2019 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:23 PM
Red86Z51
Melting Slicks

Received 444 Likes on 322 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by wedgeheaded
....I'm 59, can never see what I'm working on, and have joint issues.....
I can relate!

Good job...were you able to keep all of the hardware bagged, tagged, separated, and put in a safe place until it was time for reassembly? I always do that, and somehow, in the chaos, I always manage to misplace a bag!

At this point ere you reassembled, or is that fun still to come?
Old 05-12-2019, 06:28 PM
wedgeheaded
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Red86Z51
I can relate!

Good job...were you able to keep all of the hardware bagged, tagged, separated, and put in a safe place until it was time for reassembly? I always do that, and somehow, in the chaos, I always manage to misplace a bag!

At this point ere you reassembled, or is that fun still to come?

Nothing is bagged, tagged, or labled. However, I remember where everything goes. (Yea, right) The FSM addresses about everything under the dash except this air door motor. I work this week, 7am-7pm but, off next week. I'll hit it then. I've been the dash several times for other projects so it's getting to be old hat. My dash skin is peeling up so it will get re-glued before going back in. Owning any classic car is a labor of love/hate. Guess where I stand right now.

Get notified of new replies

To 90 convert air blend door repair, done

Quick Reply: 90 convert air blend door repair, done