C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Help Finding Oil Leak in Front of 96 LT1

Old 05-18-2019, 02:48 PM
ajd3rd
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Help Finding Oil Leak in Front of 96 LT1

I have a small amount of oil dripping from the crankshaft position sensor. I'd appreciate any tips to try to locate the leak. I'm thinking it's either the water pump drive, crank seal or just the crank sensor.

Does anyone have any tips on how to look at the crank seal and water pumps seal. Looking from underneath it's really hard to see anything. I've tried to reach up and feel around the crank but it's pretty hard to tell if its wet.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:53 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 563 Posts

I had a leak exactly there on my 96. It was the crank position sensor o-ring. Dan
Old 05-19-2019, 11:04 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Florescent dye is available. It can help identify small leaks. It at can come in a kit; with black light and tinted glasses to enhance ability to see dye.
Old 06-22-2019, 03:25 PM
Steener
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default water pump replacement solves oil leak

Not likely going to help with your specific problem, but my 95 LT1 has leaked a bit of oil since I got it five years ago. I keep a flattened-out cardboard box underneath it, and change as required.

First tech to look at it said he could replace all the seals for about $2500, but said it'd probably be leaking again within a couple weeks...just the nature of the beast. So I let it go.

It's also leaked a small amount of coolant as long as I've had it, but until taking it in for its spring once-over this year, no one identified the water pump as the source of that leak. As for the oil leaks, they said it needed new oil pan gasket, timing cover gasket, new "distributor" ("they all fail, so we might as well replace it while we're in there") etc., etc.. Estimate was nearly $3000 (canadian $)

Anyway, I said just do the water pump for now. I've had the car back for a month -- no coolant leak and SURPRISE -- there's no more oil dripping onto my garage floor anymore. Just got lucky, I guess.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:25 PM
juliosz
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My 96 with 18000 miles had the same leak. It made a pretty good mess. You can still get the o-ring from AC Delco (it was about $13). Replaced and totally fixed it.

Last edited by juliosz; 06-23-2019 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:44 AM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 98 Posts

If you pull it apart just replace all the seals. Front cover set is under $20 with all the seals.

Get notified of new replies

To Help Finding Oil Leak in Front of 96 LT1

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help Finding Oil Leak in Front of 96 LT1