Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 Rears on a C7 (Yes...you read that right)

 
Old 06-06-2019, 10:23 PM
  #1  
Casey Clark
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Casey Clark's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2019
Location: Sanger, Tx
Posts: 58
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default C4 Rears on a C7 (Yes...you read that right)

Howdy,

I am actually getting a set of MT ET Streets on C4 Wheels for a song for weekend strip use. I've read up a bit but I'm not sure if I will need a spacer or not. Current owner had them on a C5 and needed a spacer. He *thinks* the wheels are from an '84 if that helps.

They will be going on a 2014 C7 Stingray with the 19x10 rear wheels with the +79 offset.

The tires on the C4 Wheels are 26x11.50x16
My C7 tires are 285/35/19

Pic of wheels attached.

Casey Clark is offline  
The following users liked this post:
dizwiz24 (06-07-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 11:32 PM
  #2  
MatthewMiller
CF Senior Member
 
MatthewMiller's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2015
Location: St. Charles MO
Posts: 2,251
Received 321 Likes on 272 Posts
Default

I don't know much about drag tires on narrower wheels, but that's a wide tire for that rim. As far as spacers being needed, that doesn't make sense. These wheels already have way less offset than C7 wheels: if 8.5" they only have 32mm offset, and if 9.5 they only have 38mm. Compare that to the 79mm of your stock 10" wheels, there's almost 2" more offset (to the inside) on your stock wheels. And spacers would subtract from the offset even more. They may in fact fit inside the fenders of a C7, especially if they are the 8.5" wheels. It will be close as to whether or not they poke outside the fenders. But you really shouldn't need spacers!
MatthewMiller is offline  
Old 06-06-2019, 11:55 PM
  #3  
Casey Clark
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Casey Clark's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2019
Location: Sanger, Tx
Posts: 58
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller View Post
I don't know much about drag tires on narrower wheels, but that's a wide tire for that rim. As far as spacers being needed, that doesn't make sense. These wheels already have way less offset than C7 wheels: if 8.5" they only have 32mm offset, and if 9.5 they only have 38mm. Compare that to the 79mm of your stock 10" wheels, there's almost 2" more offset (to the inside) on your stock wheels. And spacers would subtract from the offset even more. They may in fact fit inside the fenders of a C7, especially if they are the 8.5" wheels. It will be close as to whether or not they poke outside the fenders. But you really shouldn't need spacers!
Thank you but now I am reading up a bit and it looks doubtful if they will clear the brakes on a C7. Luckily I donít have a Z51, but even my base modelís brakes might be too big.
Casey Clark is offline  
Old 06-07-2019, 07:41 AM
  #4  
MatthewMiller
CF Senior Member
 
MatthewMiller's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2015
Location: St. Charles MO
Posts: 2,251
Received 321 Likes on 272 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Casey Clark View Post
Thank you but now I am reading up a bit and it looks doubtful if they will clear the brakes on a C7. Luckily I donít have a Z51, but even my base modelís brakes might be too big.
That's always tough to know without a test fit.
MatthewMiller is offline  
Old 06-07-2019, 10:48 AM
  #5  
383vett
CF Senior Member
 
383vett's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2003
Location: moraga ca
Posts: 16,018
Received 734 Likes on 544 Posts
Default

No way 16's will fit on a C7 without a spindle lowering kit. Here's a picture of my 16Z with 18" wheels which barely clear the brakes.


383vett is offline  
Old 06-07-2019, 02:13 PM
  #6  
vetteLT193
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Jul 2002
Location: Tallahassee fl
Posts: 1,436
Received 160 Likes on 100 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Casey Clark View Post
Thank you but now I am reading up a bit and it looks doubtful if they will clear the brakes on a C7. Luckily I donít have a Z51, but even my base modelís brakes might be too big.
The rear brakes are the same on the C7 Z51 or not (other then the Z51 having slotted over ventilated rotors). The rotor size on the rear is 13.3 inches by itself. I can't imagine clearing that with a 16 inch wheel when you add another couple inches for the caliper.

The smallest I have heard of working are 17" Trans Am wheels or 17" C5 front wheels.
vetteLT193 is offline  
Old 06-07-2019, 10:17 PM
  #7  
dizwiz24
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2001
Location: NEwhere Ohio
Posts: 10,118
Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Casey Clark View Post
Howdy,

I am actually getting a set of MT ET Streets on C4 Wheels for a song for weekend strip use. I've read up a bit but I'm not sure if I will need a spacer or not. Current owner had them on a C5 and needed a spacer. He *thinks* the wheels are from an '84 if that helps.

They will be going on a 2014 C7 Stingray with the 19x10 rear wheels with the +79 offset.

The tires on the C4 Wheels are 26x11.50x16
My C7 tires are 285/35/19

Pic of wheels attached.
Nice putting C4 parts on a C7 (to make it go faster).

my dream is to buy a C7 and swap out the C7 LT1 for a late c4 optispark LT1 - just to prove the point that theres nothing magical with the LSx line (post SBC) engines !
dizwiz24 is offline  
Old 06-09-2019, 03:02 PM
  #8  
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor
 
Pwnage1337's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: Custer, WI
Posts: 3,334
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dizwiz24 View Post
Nice putting C4 parts on a C7 (to make it go faster).

my dream is to buy a C7 and swap out the C7 LT1 for a late c4 optispark LT1 - just to prove the point that theres nothing magical with the LSx line (post SBC) engines !

That would take the value of the car and cut it into nothing
Pwnage1337 is offline  
Old 06-09-2019, 03:28 PM
  #9  
dizwiz24
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2001
Location: NEwhere Ohio
Posts: 10,118
Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Pwnage1337 View Post
That would take the value of the car and cut it into nothing
Its not about value.

its about proving a point.

the lsx series (and its new direct injected counterparts) are not really any different than the SBC. Cost taken out of the picture / its only real benefit is a weight savings.

it doesnt have dilithium crystals, warp drive, etc.

you can do a max effort build on either platform. If you make 1400 rwhp on an lsx motor and 1200 rwhp on an optispark lt1 - so what.

Note that supercharging , fuel, and tuning technology has evolved since the Optispark lt1 was the newest motor out there. All that same technology being applied to lsx engines can easily be retrofitted onto SBC

Theres a new revolution in place - electric cars. Those will likely be unmatchable by gasoline engines .
dizwiz24 is offline  
Old 06-09-2019, 03:47 PM
  #10  
slow_zo6
CF Senior Member
 
slow_zo6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: WV
Posts: 461
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dizwiz24 View Post
Its not about value.

its about proving a point.

the lsx series (and its new direct injected counterparts) are not really any different than the SBC. Cost taken out of the picture / its only real benefit is a weight savings.

it doesnt have dilithium crystals, warp drive, etc.

you can do a max effort build on either platform. If you make 1400 rwhp on an lsx motor and 1200 rwhp on an optispark lt1 - so what.

Note that supercharging , fuel, and tuning technology has evolved since the Optispark lt1 was the newest motor out there. All that same technology being applied to lsx engines can easily be retrofitted onto SBC

Theres a new revolution in place - electric cars. Those will likely be unmatchable by gasoline engines .
I remember when trolling used to mean something.
😳
slow_zo6 is offline  
Old 06-09-2019, 04:03 PM
  #11  
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor
 
Pwnage1337's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: Custer, WI
Posts: 3,334
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
Default

I just read an article that said GM is going to cease all R&D on new engine technologies and start building C4 era LT1s again because they realized they screwed up by stopping production.

A long meeting was held with the board of directors and they all unanimously decided that the OptiSpark and it's imminent failure when it finds out it's going to rain next week was the best path forward for the company.
Pwnage1337 is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by Pwnage1337:
dizwiz24 (06-09-2019), slow_zo6 (06-09-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 04:29 PM
  #12  
slow_zo6
CF Senior Member
 
slow_zo6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: WV
Posts: 461
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Default

Rumor has it the C7Rs currently being used by the Corvette Racing team have Gen II LT1s In them.
😉

Last edited by slow_zo6; 06-09-2019 at 04:30 PM.
slow_zo6 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
dizwiz24 (06-09-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 04:43 PM
  #13  
Casey Clark
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Casey Clark's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2019
Location: Sanger, Tx
Posts: 58
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default

This thread turned into gold! lol.

I ended up picking up a set of 18" C6 GS knock-offs with NT05rs on them. 305/45/18 and they clear but do poke a little.
Casey Clark is offline  
The following users liked this post:
slow_zo6 (06-09-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 07:13 PM
  #14  
dizwiz24
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2001
Location: NEwhere Ohio
Posts: 10,118
Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Casey Clark View Post
This thread turned into gold! lol.

I ended up picking up a set of 18" C6 GS knock-offs with NT05rs on them. 305/45/18 and they clear but do poke a little.
Love it.
you put c4 parts on your c7 to make it faster 🙌

thank you for posting this
dizwiz24 is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C4 Rears on a C7 (Yes...you read that right)


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: