C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Water pump weeping

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 04:01 AM
helives4u2
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Water pump weeping

Hello, any recommendations on a replacement manufacturer? AC Delco $300, GMB $83. Big difference. Thanks Mike
Old 06-16-2019, 04:08 AM
helives4u2
Instructor

Nevermind, Rockauto $104
Old 06-17-2019, 09:02 AM
GregMartin
Drifting

Received 283 Likes on 219 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by helives4u2
Nevermind, Rockauto $104
RockAuto generally have a number of brands for sale so you can compare the price, description and the picture. I tend to buy AC Delco if the price is reasonable. I recently bought an AC Delco water pump from RockAuto for my 84 and it was fine. One thing to note the pump didn’t come with the heater hose fitting and that fitting is longer on a corvette than some other chevys.

Last edited by GregMartin; 06-17-2019 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:50 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 875 Posts

If your car has no "cooling issues" then use a stock replacement. If your car runs hotter then you might want to have more flow. I purchased an Edlebrock aluminum Pump as it works well on cars that get hot. The aftermarket pumps have better impeller designs that work more efficiently and frequently flow more coolant.

Don't use more anti-freeze than you need for your area of the world, here in Virginia I use 70% water, 30% anti-freeze. Water is better than AF at transferring the heat so the more water you have the better it will cool. Also be sure to change the hoses, clamps, radiator cap and thermostat while you are at it to make the job and your car last longer.

RockAuto is a great source of stock parts! Their shipping amazes me, never more than 2 days and you get the right parts.

Be careful though, RA shipped me a "New" AC Delco MAP sensor for a car I own and when I got it the box contained a "used" part in the new appearing box. When I approached RA about this they accused me of trying to pull a fast one on them. I sent the "New" one back to them and have not received a replacement or refund in over a year now. They told me that they don't take back "used" electrical parts, they sent me a "used part" in a new box so somebody pulled one over them. I am out the $40 for the part and shipping and then returning the part to them. I am not happy about this mess but suspect it is never going to be resolved to my satisfaction. Buyer beware! Why are they willing to give up a long time customer who has spent literally several thousands of dollars over some part that was returned to them and put back on the shelf without checking the parts first. The MAP sensor was oil and dirty and obviously a "used" part. By the way, it was a dead MAP sensor they sent me. This is STRIKE 1 for them, after two more I will give up on them forever and pay more just because I don't like the way they treated me on this matter.

I hope you all have better experiences with the folks at RockAuto!

I went to NAPA and bought a new one from them.

Best Regards,
Chris
Old 06-17-2019, 03:01 PM
85WHITEZ51
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

I gave up on RA as their prices aren't that much better when you account for all the shipping you get charged for now. You buy 3 parts they come from 3 separate warehouses unless you want to get stuck buying a brand you don't want because it is in the same warehouse. They were good about taking bad parts back but I also started getting more bad parts than it was worth. I'm starting to think they get the "seconds" from manufactures or something. Example:
- Needed a waterpump for one of my cars. Ordered a Cardone re-manufactured unit. Part comes in and the mating surface wasn't machined and was as rough as the casting was. Replaced with RA and the 2nd one was the same. Replaced again by RA and the THIRD was the same. I started to think that it was Cardone. Went to local parts store that had one in stock (think it was an O'Riles) and they opened the box. Was perfect.
- Needed a waterpump for my corvette. Ordered from RA. It looked good so I installed it (don't recall brand). Leaked real bad. Thought I messed up install so redid with new gaskets. Same thing. Leaked just putting coolant in the car. Took the pump off and took my straight edge to the mating surface. Sure enough, it was cupped.... RA wouldn't accept this return as it was installed and because it was a couple months after purchase, moved to a new house.

Same things with all kinds of other parts now. I spend a little more now and get my hands on the part before buying. No longer have to deal with shipping stuff back and forth anymore. I used to LOVE rock auto but now I refuse to even look at them.

One key note as well. Water does cool better than Coolant but your protection is in the coolant (not just for anti freeze needs). The additives in the coolant does a lot more. Not an issue to run lower than 50/50 but if you do, I strongly encourage you to change your fluid more often.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:41 PM
helives4u2
Instructor

Well, I've never had a problem with Rockauto in the last 12 years, I've sent a few bad parts back over the years and all went well. I replaced every coolant part except the water pump and heater core, go figure the pump goes out after two months. Just finished the harmonic balancer on the C5Z,,, It never ends
Old 06-17-2019, 05:06 PM
95LT1ZF
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

When you find the part you want on RA, copy and paste the part number to Amazon. I've bought the same parts from RA off Amazon much cheaper and with free shipping on several. I bought the same AC Delco water pump you're looking at off of Amazon for $86 last October. and depending on the year of your car, don't forget to add a weep hole drain to preserve the opti.

Last edited by 95LT1ZF; 06-17-2019 at 05:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Moser28 (09-15-2021)
Old 06-17-2019, 09:49 PM
helives4u2
Instructor

Originally Posted by 95LT1ZF

When you find the part you want on RA, copy and paste the part number to Amazon. I've bought the same parts from RA off Amazon much cheaper and with free shipping on several. I bought the same AC Delco water pump you're looking at off of Amazon for $86 last October. and depending on the year of your car, don't forget to add a weep hole drain to preserve the opti.
Price went up to 103 on Amazon, but still would have saved 10 bucks. I did the hose thing on my 93, will definitely do it on this one too. Thinking of using clear silicone this time and running it where I can see it. Just in case it starts weeping again.
Old 09-12-2021, 01:17 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default water pump fitting

Price went up to 103 on Amazon, but still would have saved 10 bucks. I did the hose thing on my 93, will definitely do it on this one too. Thinking of using clear silicone this time and running it where I can see it. Just in case it starts weeping again.
Info on fitting size and where to get ?
Old 09-12-2021, 01:17 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default water pump fitting

Info on fitting size and where to get ?

Get notified of new replies

To Water pump weeping

Quick Reply: Water pump weeping