C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Seems weird but ... trouble finding shop to mount tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 04:31 PM
BubbaKahuna
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Seems weird but ... trouble finding shop to mount tires

I have a 92 convertible & just scored some C7 wheels & bought some new tires to go with them, tires are not mounted.
Shopping around I'm finding trouble finding a shop willing to mount the tires.
It's not because they we're bought there, but because they are wide tires on nice new chrome rims.
I keep getting 'we don't want to risk messing up those beautiful wheels'.

I'm not even looking to have them put on the car, just put the rubber on the chrome.

Seriously? Do I have to go to a Chevy dealership to get these tires on the rims?
Not looking forward to the cost there but if they're the only place that'll touch them ...

Last edited by BubbaKahuna; 06-17-2019 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:33 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

I did buy the tires there, but Discount Tire was more than willing to mount the tires on new chrome rims I had just purchased. Very affordable and done well.
The following users liked this post:
BubbaKahuna (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 09:52 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 398 Posts

Try one of those rent a wheel/buy bling rims places, by me they mount tires on chrome rims I can't afford to look at let alone buy.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:05 PM
Gibbles
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 151 Posts

Find a shop that has the hunter roadforce equipment.
The hunter website has a find a shop app.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:58 AM
daverulz
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I had trouble recently like this - I just wanted to find a shop that was willing to tell me that they wouldn't mess up my wheels. None of them wanted to take responsibility for it. I finally found a shop that serviced very high end cars (there were 3 Ferraris in the day I dropped off the wheels) I found them by looking for shops with Hunter Road Force balancing on Tire Rack's website. Then all the 5 star reviews sealed the deal. It cost a little more than taking it to Firestone, but at least they were willing to back up their work. On top of that they cleaned the wheels front and back and put a nice tire product on the sidewalls (not slimy or glossy). In this scenario I paid more, but I def also got more.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:13 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Try to find a Big O Tire. Never had an issue. I never bring my entire car to anyone for wheels/tires... I do it the same way youre doing it. Also, they have a Road Force Balance Machine. Do yourself a favor and get them Road Force Balanced...
Old 06-18-2019, 08:15 AM
KyleF
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 173 Posts

This is very common with some of the monstrous wheel/tire packages coming out. FWIW, a buddy of mine with a 16 Z06, the Chevy dealer messed his rims up... under warranty!

Get notified of new replies

To Seems weird but ... trouble finding shop to mount tires

Quick Reply: Seems weird but ... trouble finding shop to mount tires