Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Turbo 4.8 swap makes 559 wheel on 8PSI

 
Old 07-03-2019, 06:39 PM
  #41  
84 4+3
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2017
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,008
Received 310 Likes on 247 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Krusty84 View Post
KyleF = Negative Nancy

GTFO of here with all your personal definitions of what a LS swap is. I still haven't figured out why you are so hung up on 30+ year old beater cars having to have functional stock gauges, functional cruise and functional A/C.
My thing is, if it worked before it should work after. Cruise... meh. But if it had working A/C it should end with it. I have a hard time breathing as it is so I prefer having it... that's me though.

The truth of the matter is, that last 10 percent is your most expense no matter what. LS swap or not the final details add up real quick on anything. See it at work all the time.
84 4+3 is offline  
Old 07-03-2019, 07:26 PM
  #42  
slow_zo6
CF Senior Member
 
slow_zo6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: WV
Posts: 521
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Krusty84 View Post
KyleF = Negative Nancy

GTFO of here with all your personal definitions of what a LS swap is. I still haven't figured out why you are so hung up on 30+ year old beater cars having to have functional stock gauges, functional cruise and functional A/C.
I donít believe the OP had intentions of this thread being about the cost of an LS swap. Itís a shame they went in that direction. Things can def get expensive doing the swap but at least itís towards something that has benefits all the way around. I just hate to hear about someone spending thousands of $ on a old tired setup (cliche 383 or some other tpi build) with the end result still being slow lol 🤷*♂️

Last edited by slow_zo6; 07-03-2019 at 07:27 PM.
slow_zo6 is online now  
Old 07-04-2019, 09:16 PM
  #43  
Mike Holmen
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2015
Location: Airdrie Alberta
Posts: 566
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Default

Congrats Joe, its one hell of a decent number, regardless of the engine or on a d36 . Funny how something so simple can divide everyone. I enjoy my LS and couldn't think of drive my car any other way.
Mike Holmen is offline  
Old 07-05-2019, 10:00 AM
  #44  
JoeNova
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Sep 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 297
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen View Post
I enjoy my LS and couldn't think of drive my car any other way.
Same. When the car was stock with an L98, it was less fun to drive than than my girlfriend's Ford Fiesta.
More torque, just less fun to drive.

The LS swap started before the body came off. The engine was in and ready to fire in no time. Adapting it to the car was WAY easier than anyone thinks it is.
Even the stock 4.8 had more power than the L98 and drove better. Honestly, if I had to own a stock C4 with the TPI, I would've probably chosen to just not own one.
JoeNova is offline  
Old 07-05-2019, 11:03 AM
  #45  
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor
 
Pwnage1337's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: Custer, WI
Posts: 3,392
Received 65 Likes on 58 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JoeNova View Post
Same. When the car was stock with an L98, it was less fun to drive than than my girlfriend's Ford Fiesta.
More torque, just less fun to drive.

The LS swap started before the body came off. The engine was in and ready to fire in no time. Adapting it to the car was WAY easier than anyone thinks it is.
Even the stock 4.8 had more power than the L98 and drove better. Honestly, if I had to own a stock C4 with the TPI, I would've probably chosen to just not own one.
Man these statements be looking for drama! Lol!

Awesome build. Can't wait to get my LS fired up, I'm gonna blow the ******* tires off right in front of the police station because Murica
Pwnage1337 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
64Scout (07-08-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 12:17 PM
  #46  
slow_zo6
CF Senior Member
 
slow_zo6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: WV
Posts: 521
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Pwnage1337 View Post
Man these statements be looking for drama! Lol!

Awesome build. Can't wait to get my LS fired up, I'm gonna blow the ******* tires off right in front of the police station because Murica
Whatve you got left?
Just bled my clutch yesterday. Gotta get the damn c-beam back in and Iím ready to go-easier said than done of course.
slow_zo6 is online now  
Old 07-05-2019, 12:37 PM
  #47  
84 4+3
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2017
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,008
Received 310 Likes on 247 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JoeNova View Post
Same. When the car was stock with an L98, it was less fun to drive than than my girlfriend's Ford Fiesta.
More torque, just less fun to drive.

The LS swap started before the body came off. The engine was in and ready to fire in no time. Adapting it to the car was WAY easier than anyone thinks it is.
Even the stock 4.8 had more power than the L98 and drove better. Honestly, if I had to own a stock C4 with the TPI, I would've probably chosen to just not own one.
Dude, the tpi in my cousins third gen is lame. Tis why I don't drive mine much anymore. After I had an intake that breathed up to 5500 cleanly (cam limit) and had to go back to stock... I just didn't enjoy it anymore. That's why I'm planning out a build. But I'm a ways away from that still lol.
84 4+3 is offline  
Old 07-05-2019, 07:08 PM
  #48  
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor
 
Pwnage1337's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: Custer, WI
Posts: 3,392
Received 65 Likes on 58 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by slow_zo6 View Post
Whatve you got left?
Just bled my clutch yesterday. Gotta get the damn c-beam back in and Iím ready to go-easier said than done of course.
Finish up headers
Wire ignition
Prime engine
Put driveshaft in

Let er ****** eat

I'm waiting for my DS to be finished. So that's my biggest hold up
Pwnage1337 is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by Pwnage1337:
knikula (07-06-2019), slow_zo6 (07-05-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 11:09 AM
  #49  
Tom400CFI
CF Senior Member
 
Tom400CFI's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Location: Park City Utah
Posts: 14,582
Received 711 Likes on 617 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 84 4+3 View Post
Dude, the tpi in my cousins third gen is lame. Tis why I don't drive mine much anymore.
What!? How can you SAY that?? The TPI is the famous "TPI TOWAK MONSTAH"!! Nothing can make big towak like a TPI!




.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 07-06-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Tom400CFI is offline  
Old 07-06-2019, 11:13 AM
  #50  
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor
 
Pwnage1337's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: Custer, WI
Posts: 3,392
Received 65 Likes on 58 Posts
Default

my TPI made so much torque i sold everything and swapped to an LS
Pwnage1337 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
knikula (07-06-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 11:28 AM
  #51  
slow_zo6
CF Senior Member
 
slow_zo6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: WV
Posts: 521
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Pwnage1337 View Post
my TPI made so much torque i sold everything and swapped to an LS
I remember getting beat by a fox body mustang years ago, fvck that 80s TPI crap.
slow_zo6 is online now  
Old 07-06-2019, 11:42 AM
  #52  
93 ragtop
CF Senior Member
 
93 ragtop's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2000
Location: Manassas VA
Posts: 5,361
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by slow_zo6 View Post
I remember getting beat by a fox body mustang years ago, fvck that 80s TPI crap.



That dont mean alot, LOL I have a friend who lives pretty close to you, races at mason dixon. He has a 93 fox body, that is street driven, but it has run a 9.01 at 151mph. I feel sure it will smoke your ZO6 or anything else you have!!
Even though mustangs are not my cup of tea, they are usually some of the fastest cars at dragstrips.
93 ragtop is offline  
Old 07-06-2019, 12:24 PM
  #53  
84 4+3
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2017
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,008
Received 310 Likes on 247 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop View Post


That dont mean alot, LOL I have a friend who lives pretty close to you, races at mason dixon. He has a 93 fox body, that is street driven, but it has run a 9.01 at 151mph. I feel sure it will smoke your ZO6 or anything else you have!!
Even though mustangs are not my cup of tea, they are usually some of the fastest cars at dragstrips.
Light and cheap. Ford made it really easy to strip down those cars and they always sold them with pretty stout drivelines. In the words of my dad: thirdgens and foxbodies were both **** boxes. But the fox bodies definitely seemed to be built for the sole purpose of having the **** kicked out of them. That and the fact that trying to do anything other than going in a straight line they tend to gravitate towards crowds... Ford knows their market.
Originally Posted by Tom400CFI View Post
What!? How can you SAY that?? The TPI is the famous "TPI TOWAK MONSTAH"!! Nothing can make big towak like a TPI!




.
Well that's a ******* throw back. Two more times in a week and we get a guest appearance.
84 4+3 is offline  
Old 07-07-2019, 08:03 PM
  #54  
Mike Holmen
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2015
Location: Airdrie Alberta
Posts: 566
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Default

Joe, you got a build thread. Crazy that your getting that much power with 2400lbs curb weight. My car just spins the tires way to easy to get any decent 0-60 times or quarter mile runs.I'm sure that my dana 36 wouldn't take sticky tires, as my posi unit is nearly burnt out.

My cruise works fine but spins the spins during acceleration. I don't have AC. Really I don't care, we never get above 80 deg's F here. Taking off the top is good enough, I like the heat anyways. I just put in a stock LS LQ9 6.0L just to see how it would workout. Been impressed with how everything has turned out. I average over 550 miles/900km per tank, not sure on fuel mileage but I'm sure its in the high 20's.

I run dana 36 and 2.73 gear. I'm sure there enough power to push over 160mph, if you could want to. Most I've done so far is 120mph a few times. I have the quick steer rack pinion and the car get twitchy at speed
Mike Holmen is offline  
Old 07-07-2019, 11:19 PM
  #55  
84 4+3
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2017
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,008
Received 310 Likes on 247 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen View Post
Joe, you got a build thread. Crazy that your getting that much power with 2400lbs curb weight. My car just spins the tires way to easy to get any decent 0-60 times or quarter mile runs.I'm sure that my dana 36 wouldn't take sticky tires, as my posi unit is nearly burnt out.

My cruise works fine but spins the spins during acceleration. I don't have AC. Really I don't care, we never get above 80 deg's F here. Taking off the top is good enough, I like the heat anyways. I just put in a stock LS LQ9 6.0L just to see how it would workout. Been impressed with how everything has turned out. I average over 550 miles/900km per tank, not sure on fuel mileage but I'm sure its in the high 20's.

I run dana 36 and 2.73 gear. I'm sure there enough power to push over 160mph, if you could want to. Most I've done so far is 120mph a few times. I have the quick steer rack pinion and the car get twitchy at speed
If the suspension is set up right that twitch goes away around 130, it settles back down with the slight downforce... best I went was 143 on a closed course... I literally ran out of RPMs on the stock manifold. It would spin more but made no more power. That's with 3.08s and only a 1:1 final drive... I was not about to test the overdrive at those speeds on the 4+3 lol. Also, getting to 120 was pretty easy. That last 20 took forever though. You need at least 300 to do 160. 400 gets you another 20 mph or even less. And it just goes on inversely from there.
84 4+3 is offline  
Old 07-07-2019, 11:31 PM
  #56  
JoeNova
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Sep 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 297
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Default

Probably wrong to admit, but I've been over 120 in my neighborhood lol.

2nd gear with the 3.08 tops out at 130 or so. I've never gotten to the point where I had to shift into 3rd under power yet because I haven't been to the track.

My custom window net is on it's way. Then I'll get an alignment from a friend and I should be set. Hoping to take the Dana 36 record my first time out on just wastegate boost.

If all goes well, I'll double the boost and see how far I can get.
JoeNova is offline  
Old 07-08-2019, 08:36 AM
  #57  
84 4+3
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2017
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,008
Received 310 Likes on 247 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JoeNova View Post
Probably wrong to admit, but I've been over 120 in my neighborhood lol.

2nd gear with the 3.08 tops out at 130 or so. I've never gotten to the point where I had to shift into 3rd under power yet because I haven't been to the track.

My custom window net is on it's way. Then I'll get an alignment from a friend and I should be set. Hoping to take the Dana 36 record my first time out on just wastegate boost.

If all goes well, I'll double the boost and see how far I can get.
1000lbs compared to mine with my fat *** in it and a few 1000 extra RPMs makes a big difference. That's bad *** man.
84 4+3 is offline  
Old 07-08-2019, 09:34 PM
  #58  
Mike Holmen
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2015
Location: Airdrie Alberta
Posts: 566
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 84 4+3 View Post
If the suspension is set up right that twitch goes away around 130, it settles back down with the slight downforce... best I went was 143 on a closed course... I literally ran out of RPMs on the stock manifold. It would spin more but made no more power. That's with 3.08s and only a 1:1 final drive... I was not about to test the overdrive at those speeds on the 4+3 lol. Also, getting to 120 was pretty easy. That last 20 took forever though. You need at least 300 to do 160. 400 gets you another 20 mph or even less. And it just goes on inversely from there.
Not sure if your quoting rear wheel HP, but my car dynoed around 350rwhp. I can only dream about 550rwhp at this point. I'm pretty sure I can get to 160mph, but would need a fresh pair of underpants afterwards. I wished that I had 3.07 gears, but then I would need fresh rear tires more frequently and I'm cheap skate.
Mike Holmen is offline  
Old 07-09-2019, 01:22 AM
  #59  
84 4+3
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2017
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,008
Received 310 Likes on 247 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen View Post
Not sure if your quoting rear wheel HP, but my car dynoed around 350rwhp. I can only dream about 550rwhp at this point. I'm pretty sure I can get to 160mph, but would need a fresh pair of underpants afterwards. I wished that I had 3.07 gears, but then I would need fresh rear tires more frequently and I'm cheap skate.
It depends. If you have the rpms its flexible. ZR-1 does 186ish with 400. LT1 around 160 with 300. Weight, aero etc play a lot too. 3.07 is very underrated. Great cruising and power. 3.31 would be a little better but with how short our tires are its adequate.
84 4+3 is offline  
Old 07-09-2019, 08:12 PM
  #60  
Mike Holmen
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2015
Location: Airdrie Alberta
Posts: 566
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 84 4+3 View Post
It depends. If you have the rpms its flexible. ZR-1 does 186ish with 400. LT1 around 160 with 300. Weight, aero etc play a lot too. 3.07 is very underrated. Great cruising and power. 3.31 would be a little better but with how short our tires are its adequate.
I think a four turbo cart (800+rwhp, 2400lbs), 7200 rpm rev limit and 3.31 gear rear would a crazy silly fast ride. Probably the tires would still be spinning at 100 mph, probably a sub 10sec quater mile car. I probably be needing a diaper for that ride. Its awesome to see what you can really do with these cars.
Mike Holmen is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo 4.8 swap makes 559 wheel on 8PSI


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: