C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Drivers side headlight bouncing???

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 12:28 AM
austinseanchris
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Drivers side headlight bouncing up & down??? Whats broke?

Was hoping I could get some guidance on what particular issue Ive got goin on here. So Ive got an On/Off switch on my battery on my 96. Everytime I turn the battery on, the headlight motors begin to spin on both sides. However, the drivers side entire headlight assembly bounces. The passenger does not bounce. Not sure if this is the start of the motor going bad or whether the gears are stripped out inside of it. This lasts for roughly 5 seconds and then stops. When turning on the headlights, they pop up and go down fine with no issues. Doesnt seem to cause any other issues, just at first when turning the battery on. I attached a link to a youtube video I shot so all could see what Im describing. Thanks to anyone who may know...

Last edited by austinseanchris; 07-03-2019 at 04:42 PM. Reason: N/a
Old 07-03-2019, 07:48 PM
CorvetteRules
Drifting

Received 334 Likes on 233 Posts

If my battery is unhooked when the battery is re- connected the motor on the passenger side will run for a few seconds. Why, I don't know, but never bothered to see why.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:34 AM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 398 Posts

Odds are your bushings in your headlight motor are worn out. you can do it yourself. I would recommend if you're car has not had the bronze gear installed it would be a good time, I use to swear by the the plastic gears because every time I would always just find the pucks where failed but now in the last two fails the gears were cracked causing a jam.

You keep the car very clean has there been an oatmeal looking dust on frame, usually when bushings are on the way they leave plastic dust under light

Last edited by s carter; 07-04-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:44 PM
Deepa
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts

Mine do the same thing. New bushings and everything. Ignore it. They act a little cranky when first attaching the battery or when jump starting a dead one
Old 07-04-2019, 05:20 PM
austinseanchris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by s carter
Odds are your bushings in your headlight motor are worn out. you can do it yourself. I would recommend if you're car has not had the bronze gear installed it would be a good time, I use to swear by the the plastic gears because every time I would always just find the pucks where failed but now in the last two fails the gears were cracked causing a jam.

You keep the car very clean has there been an oatmeal looking dust on frame, usually when bushings are on the way they leave plastic dust under light
Nope, no dust of any kind below motors or on the frame...
Old 07-04-2019, 06:26 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Still think something is worn in the headlight motor, and can be investigated/rebuilt in about an hour.

Last edited by s carter; 07-04-2019 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:08 PM
austinseanchris
Burning Brakes

Still think something is worn in the headlight motor, and can be investigated/rebuilt in about an hour.
Could you guide me towards what parts I would need for the rebuild? Thanks.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:23 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Here's a link to a place I have used a lot for my parts. I also gave you links to you tube give a look at a few of the Videos get a feel of the job.

https://m.youtube.com/results?search...eadlight+motor
https://corvetteparts.com/item/gear-...otor-1988-1996
https://corvetteparts.com/item/dowel...ings-1988-1996

This is a link to the source to get the bronze gears they are much more expensive but not a bad investment if the car is a long term keeper

https://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corvette-headlight-motor-gear-kit-1988-1996.html

Last edited by s carter; 07-04-2019 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:37 PM
austinseanchris
Burning Brakes

Definitely appreciate the links. So to make sure Im looking at it correctly, it looks like if you get the bronze gears, that it comes with the dowels, right?
Old 07-04-2019, 09:47 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

I believe so that's the way they present it, they have come down in price. they use to be something like $65.00 a side so now it's just worth getting.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:50 PM
austinseanchris
Burning Brakes

I believe so that's the way they present it, they have come down in price. they use to be something like $65.00 a side so now it's just worth getting.
Yessir, just what I was thinking. Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Drivers side headlight bouncing???

Quick Reply: Drivers side headlight bouncing???