C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Adding Transmission fluid to a newly rebuilt 700r4

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 01:17 PM
littleredcorvette88
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Adding Transmission fluid to a newly rebuilt 700r4

As part of my new engine build I had the converter and transmission rebuilt. I added 1 quart to the torque converter so far and the transmission place said to add 5 quarts to the trans and let it run and add more as needed: I have seen 6 quarts, 8 quarts etc after researching as the capacity the trans shop says around 10 quarts..... and now I'm totally lost with something so simple.

What is the total fluid capacity for both trans and converter?
I added 1 in the converter already before installing in the trans.
Should I add 5 now and then more after engine start up?
How long should I run the motor before adding the additional quarts needed? I wouldn't think I want to run it to long.
Do you add them while car is running or off?

Any info would be great!
Old 07-11-2019, 01:21 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Pan is about 4 quarts and TC is one. Iirc it holds 12. I'd throw in 5 and check the level off. Start the car and check immediately. You won't hurt any thing just idling. Then add until it is in the cold full area on the dipstick. Let it warm and top off until good.
The following users liked this post:
littleredcorvette88 (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 01:29 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by littleredcorvette88
As part of my new engine build I had the converter and transmission rebuilt. I added 1 quart to the torque converter so far and the transmission place said to add 5 quarts to the trans and let it run and add more as needed: I have seen 6 quarts, 8 quarts etc after researching as the capacity the trans shop says around 10 quarts..... and now I'm totally lost with something so simple.

What is the total fluid capacity for both trans and converter?
I added 1 in the converter already before installing in the trans.
Should I add 5 now and then more after engine start up?
How long should I run the motor before adding the additional quarts needed? I wouldn't think I want to run it to long.
Do you add them while car is running or off?

Any info would be great!

You are right. You are lost on something so simple. If the transmission shop told you to add 5 quarts and more as needed, then add 5 quarts and more as needed! If they told you the capacity is around 10 quarts, then it is around 10 quarts. Put the 5 in, run the engine for 15-20 seconds, then put in 3 more. Start engine, go through all the gears to insure the forward. reverse and L/R clutches are all activated. Check level with engine running and top off. You will have cold oil so stay about 1/2 quart low and recheck after a run when the oil is hot.
The following users liked this post:
littleredcorvette88 (07-11-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Adding Transmission fluid to a newly rebuilt 700r4

Quick Reply: Adding Transmission fluid to a newly rebuilt 700r4