C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Wheel bearing question, when broke, do they "Pop" or "click"

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2002, 07:56 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Default Wheel bearing question, when broke, do they "Pop" or "click"

Just curious, I have had them go out, but never really heard any noises. Now when I leave the garage on a right turn they POP, like something binding then letting go. The Ujoints are new. Any suggestions before replacing 20 bearing?
Old 12-14-2002, 09:03 PM
Richard G
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Wheel bearing question, when broke, do they "Pop" or "click" (steve40th)

Replaced right front bearing and left rear on my 94 LT1. I heard no noises prior to raising car to find movement in wheels. A pop or click in turning might be a differential noise or u-joints.
Old 12-14-2002, 10:56 PM
gbody5
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Wheel bearing question, when broke, do they "Pop" or "click" (Richard G)

They can make that kind of noise when they go, along with many others, or nothing at all. I would check the U-joints first just to make sure something was not missed there, then move to the wheels.
Old 12-14-2002, 11:43 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Default Re: Wheel bearing question, when broke, do they "Pop" or "click" (gbody5)

Well thanks guys replaced the right rear bearing. Nothing changed. The bearing had purged grease out of the bearing and was loose. But the noise, popping is still there. Th erearend is a DANA 44 by Ikerds, and isnt more than a year old. 6 Months it wasn teven driven, due to being out at sea. I have ujoints ready to go, but they looked fine, no cracks, plenty of grease.
What about calipers, brakes etc?
Old 12-20-2002, 02:52 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Re: Wheel bearing question, when broke, do they "Pop" or "click" (steve40th)

Steve

Hi Bill Curlee from Groton CT. I'm the guy you met at the hobby shop. (I have the 85 and 98 vette)
I see that your now on the island!!! Sorry to hear that your car is giving you problems. Did you ever consider that it might be your posi clutches causing the noise.
A rear wheel bearing that is going bad will "sometimes" make noise when you take off hard from a dead stop. A front bearing sees lot of loading in a turn. Did you check the other front bearing? I would jack up the car and see if you get ANY play from any of the old bearings. Grab the top and bottom of the wheel and push and pull. Thats how I have found all of the ones that I have repaired. If you have play that exceeds spec, change it out.
Another thing to consider is do you drive down hill from your drive way into the street or over a bump. Could be a suspension componet that is making the noise i.e. sway bar bushing, ball joints, tie rod ect.

Check it out and get back on line.

Bill C

Old 12-20-2002, 02:54 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

When a wheel bearing is BROKEN your wheel passes you on the highway. :D

On mine when they are worn the backend shimmies around when you transition from gas to cruise. Also tight corners will make them howl at you.
Old 12-20-2002, 02:57 PM
Ruby6spd
Melting Slicks

Give those ujoint straps a check to make sure they are all at the correct torque. A few years back I had a strap loosen and it clicked slightly when pulling away from a stop... Hopefully it's something simple like that
Old 12-20-2002, 04:36 PM
GS583
Burning Brakes

Received 309 Likes on 201 Posts

I seem to recall someone in our local club finding that a dry spline on an axle did this. I don't remember if it was on the differential end or if there is a spline in the wheel hub (anyone care to confirm?). He had to clean the corrosion off and coated it with antisieze compound. Also the Positraction needs to have the special lubricant added periodically. It will really make some strange noises if it needs this added. The lube is relatively cheap, so I would probably try that befoer anything else. When I worked at a local dealership, we always tried the additive before anything else and the vast majority of times it fixed the problem.
Old 12-20-2002, 10:29 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Usually when it makes a clicking sound its the U-joints, ive learned that much here recently.

My rear bearing is likely on its way out, have to wait until xmas funds get in before its gonna get taken apart and looked at. Mine is making a creaking/shaking noise at low speeds (kinda sounds like its wobbling) but otherwise there is no feel of anything going on. No handling changes in the slightest.
Old 12-21-2002, 12:42 AM
vmi_vette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Wheel bearing question, when broke, do they "Pop" or "click" (GS583)

I agree that you should replace the diff fluid with the GM gear oil and with the posi additive. Sounds like it might be a posi clutch not being lubed properly. Just my opinion. Good luck.

[Modified by vmi_vette, 9:50 PM 12/20/2002]
Old 12-21-2002, 08:59 AM
john738
6th Gear

I've got the same type of noise coming from the rear of my 85, only I hear it when first starting out after putting the car in gear, either Drive or Reverse. Just one loud click and then it goes away. My rear wheel bearings were replaced within the last year. Took the left wheel off, this is where the noise sounds like its coming from and did an inspection, everything looked fine. Going to try the lube in the differential like was mentioned here. I'll let you know if that does it.
Old 12-21-2002, 01:27 PM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Wheel bearing question, when broke, do they "Pop" or "click" (john738)

Make sure that if your Ujoints have zerk fittings (originals didn't) that the zerk's aren't rubbing against something or other at one of the extremes of motion. When I redid the rear suspension one half shaft had zerk fittings (which I never noticed before) and were totally shot (since I never greased the buggers). :eek: It's also possible that if you have some rotor runout and your e-brake isn't adjusted quite right it can be dragging a bit making a noise, but that might not be a click sound. ~Juliet
Old 05-03-2016, 09:16 PM
Carla Diffee
Cruising

I have a question maybe one of you can help me okay where do I start. I blew my old engine which had a cam. Had a new one put in but the guy was an idiot and I have had all kinds of problems since I got it back. When he put the engine in he messed up my hood it doesn't fit down right. The first day I got it back I had to take it to dealership to get it reprogrammed without a cam. I drove it 2 miles and it started throwing up codes then power reduced. They charged me 600.00 because he messed up wires by the crank shaft. For the last 6 months it was getting hot I found out he didn't put my air dam pieces back on its okay now. But the problem I'm worried about driving it because every other day I had a active handling code come up. So I took it to O'Reilly to have the scan it. He said steering sensor malfunction and traction control system error. For the past last week which has gradually gotten worse every day gotten worse. When I turn the wheel either way it pops sounds like from the front. Then last night I was driving it home and on the floor board it felt like a vibration there and a little in the steering. I don't want to have a wreck until I can get it fixed. Oh I forgot to mention the idiot didn't change out the clutch while he had it out so when I got it back the throw out bearing is bad. Keep in mind that when he put the other engine in he messed up my wiring harness they tell me it was chewed up. My car is lowered also and the roads are horrible here. Can anybody tell me what it could be possible. Help I'm a girl I know computers but haven't a clue about cars except I can tell a difference in the way my car handles.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:37 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by Carla Diffee
okay where do I start.
My thoughts exactly.

What about if you started a new thread of your own, rather than tagging onto an unrelated, 14 year old thread? Or, how about starting by telling us the year of the car. Sounds like a C5 or newer...but one can only guess.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:19 PM
Carla Diffee
Cruising

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
My thoughts exactly.

What about if you started a new thread of your own, rather than tagging onto an unrelated, 14 year old thread? Or, how about starting by telling us the year of the car. Sounds like a C5 or newer...but one can only guess.
Well Tom if that's your name I'm new to all this thread posting stuff and didn't know exactly how to do it. But thanks for letting me know I will do that now think I have figured it out.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:44 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Well Tom if that's your name I'm new to all this thread posting stuff and didn't know exactly how to do it. But thanks for letting me know I will do that now think I have figured it out.
The better that you can help us...the better that we can help you.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:40 AM
Carla Diffee
Cruising

It's a 2002 Z06

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel bearing question, when broke, do they "Pop" or "click"

Old 05-04-2016, 06:33 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

It's a 2002 Z06
Put your new thread in the C5 forum, that's where your car falls into.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:47 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by steve40th
Well thanks guys replaced the right rear bearing. Nothing changed. The bearing had purged grease out of the bearing and was loose. But the noise, popping is still there. Th erearend is a DANA 44 by Ikerds, and isnt more than a year old. 6 Months it wasn teven driven, due to being out at sea. I have ujoints ready to go, but they looked fine, no cracks, plenty of grease.
What about calipers, brakes etc?
Mine was making clicking sound. When i've replaced rear bearing, i've put a lot of grease on teflon washer....

Did you make it? Usually it that makes click crack, when dry

Last edited by Christi@n; 05-04-2016 at 07:47 AM.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:54 PM
Cory Vette
Cruising

Default same problem on my 89

Originally Posted by john738
I've got the same type of noise coming from the rear of my 85, only I hear it when first starting out after putting the car in gear, either Drive or Reverse. Just one loud click and then it goes away. My rear wheel bearings were replaced within the last year. Took the left wheel off, this is where the noise sounds like its coming from and did an inspection, everything looked fine. Going to try the lube in the differential like was mentioned here. I'll let you know if that does it.
did the posi lube solve the problem?

Quick Reply: Wheel bearing question, when broke, do they "Pop" or "click"