C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

My '95 won't start at times

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 06:44 PM
Larryrice
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default My '95 won't start at times

Help!
I almost wasted the cost of a new starter, but read about a CCM glitch. I balked at the cost of a new starter, so I looked for other causes.
My car won't start or crank at times. I thought it was a solenoid contact on the starter. I then read about the CCM not allowing the circuit to complete if the battery voltage is not at its highest. I got it to act up again, so then I connected my battery charger to the car. It started as usual. Do I need a new CCM?
Please advise.
Larry Rice
Old 07-26-2021, 06:52 PM
SloJo
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Larryrice
Help!
I almost wasted the cost of a new starter, but read about a CCM glitch. I balked at the cost of a new starter, so I looked for other causes.
My car won't start or crank at times. I thought it was a solenoid contact on the starter. I then read about the CCM not allowing the circuit to complete if the battery voltage is not at its highest. I got it to act up again, so then I connected my battery charger to the car. It started as usual. Do I need a new CCM?
Please advise.
Larry Rice
Sounds like you need to take your battery out and have it tested! You say you connected your battery charger to it and it started ok. That sounds like your battery or something draining your battery.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:16 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

It does sound like an issue with the battery. When you get in the car, turn the key to "on" not start and see what the digital voltage reading is.
I believe that if it falls below 11.0 ..... the car engine will not turn over.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:44 PM
Larryrice
Advanced

Thanks, I will check the voltage with the system on. My battery is just one year old. My voltmeter just read about 12.4 to 12.6 volts when the car is parked.
I appreciate the help.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:23 PM
SloJo
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Larryrice
Thanks, I will check the voltage with the system on. My battery is just one year old. My voltmeter just read about 12.4 to 12.6 volts when the car is parked.
I appreciate the help.
When the car won't start is the time to check the battery voltage. There may be a drain so by the time you try to start it the battery may be too low. Another thing is sometimes a battery will read 12.5 volts but when you put a load on it, it will drop to less than 12 volts. That's why you need to take it some place that has a good battery tester. They will load test it!

Last edited by SloJo; 07-26-2021 at 09:27 PM. Reason: add information
Old 07-27-2021, 08:51 PM
Larryrice
Advanced

I checked the voltage with the ignition on, and it read 12.5 volts. My battery is one year old.
I think I may have found the problem. When the car starts, the door locks make a clicking noise. I pulled the fuse, and now haven't had the starter failure. I question the ECM for proper performance.
Time will tell. Thanks again for all of you providing good advice.
Larry Rice

Get notified of new replies

To My '95 won't start at times

Quick Reply: My '95 won't start at times