C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Corvette C4 89 HEI distributor repaired, now running rough and backfiring.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 10:05 PM
RicG
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Corvette C4 89 HEI distributor repaired, now running rough and backfiring.

Hi All,Not sure if anyone can help me here…

My Corvette suddenly wouldn't start and as it turned out the small rotor button under the coil within the distributor cap had disintegrated. After seeing this, I replaced the distributor cap, coil and the rotor button. I still had no spark and on further investigation, I worked out that the pick-up coil was faulty. To replace this, you must remove the distributor. I have an OEM manual and followed this to the letter in terms of recording marks etc to ensure that the distributor and rotor were replaced exactly as they came out. I numbered all of the spark plug wires and ensured that they were all going to the correct cylinders in the correct firing order. Now I have spark but it's like the timing has just gone right out with backfiring and very rough, if you can, get it to idle. This is very frustrating considering I took so much care in removing and replacing the distributor. I'm now wondering if the control module might be at fault.

Does anybody have any ideas that could help as I've checked and rechecked to make sure everything is back as it was removed.

Old 04-28-2024, 11:04 PM
drive it
Drifting

Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

Sounde like it's either 180 off or just partially off. Start over-timing mark to TDC make sure it's compression stroke on number 1- and pull the cap-see where it's pointing.
The following users liked this post:
solar88 (04-30-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 12:50 AM
RicG
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you. I was heading in that direction but, I was wondering if a bad Control Module could be an issue with this.
Old 04-29-2024, 07:48 AM
Incorvettei
Burning Brakes

Received 310 Likes on 225 Posts

I think you are 180 degrees off on your distributor
Old 04-29-2024, 08:20 AM
slammin
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by RicG
Thank you. I was heading in that direction but, I was wondering if a bad Control Module could be an issue with this.
Before you start buying parts, you always start checking the last thing you did.
The following users liked this post:
kenmohr (04-30-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 12:55 PM
FostersPerformance
Melting Slicks

Received 692 Likes on 482 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

If it was 180 out, it wont run at all just backfire. Check what you did as mentioned above. Espically cyls 5 and 7. Easy to swap by accident.
Old 04-29-2024, 06:48 PM
ULTM8Z
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

Sounds like you might be encountering an issue I had with a replacement pickup coil

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...l-for-hei.html
Old 04-29-2024, 07:42 PM
auburn2
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Time it with a timing light. Correct the timing first, if you don't do this you are just shooting in the dark. If timing is close and it is running and backfiring it is not 180 degrees off. If it is just backfiring while cranking it could be 180 degrees off.

If timing is good and it is still backfiring then trace your wires and make sure you don't have 2 crossed up

Around the top of the distributor starting with the first wire and going clockwise it should be 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

If you confirmed the wires are all routed correct, the timing is correct, and you are confident the distributer itself is good I would replace the wires and plugs. You could troubleshoot and try to find out what wire or plug are bad, but IMO it is just better to buy new as you need to replace them periodically anyway.

Last edited by auburn2; 04-29-2024 at 07:48 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette C4 89 HEI distributor repaired, now running rough and backfiring.

Quick Reply: Corvette C4 89 HEI distributor repaired, now running rough and backfiring.