C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Californians who want to install headers please read.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 10:15 PM
swoosh
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Californians who want to install headers please read. (Mikedril)

I propose a new law. Everyone must own and operate a HYDROGEN FUEL VEHICLE. All secondary vehicles are exempt from any more EMISSIONS RESTRICTIONS. Plus all the ammendments pertaining to this bill. This is a WIN/ WIN option for both the people and the government :hurray: OPEN HEADERS FOR EVERYONE!!!!!
Old 02-12-2003, 02:07 AM
gpagaduan
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I wish there were CARB headers for mine too. My ZZ4 engine can't breathe with the stock L98 exhaust. I just got my DMV registration renewal...but it didn't require a smog test this time. Let me ask you guys this...Are shorty headers a completely bolt on job, absolutely no sort of welding required? If so, I wouldn't mind swapping them out and putting the stock manifolds back on every two years for the inspection and emissions test. (Not that I would really do that) :reddevil
Old 02-12-2003, 03:32 AM
TIMSPEED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone else written to Holley?
I did a LONG time ago, when I got my 85 Corvette. That's where I got the $10k number. They told me that they weren't and had NO plans to apply for a CARB E.O.# for the L98 Corvette's, because they said it would cost them the money, and they said there wouldn't be a large enough demand. I say BS on that though. On a set of $700 (we're including the Y-pipe) headers, I'd imagine that their PROFIT would be more like $400 for EACH SET. But I mean, when they spend $10k outta pocket, they wanna get back $10m, ya know? Even if we came up with 100 people to sign a CONTRACT saying that if they'd make the headers CA legal, we'd buy them THAT day...that still wouldn't do it. Maybe one day...but don't go waiting on that to change the smog law for your car...it'd be smarter to wait for the 30 year exemption date. :rolleyes:
Old 02-12-2003, 04:53 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Californians who want to install headers please read. (TIMSPEED)

..it'd be smarter to wait for the 30 year exemption date. :rolleyes:
Hmm, so I have 12 years to save up for mods! :lol: I like the idea suggested before, we need more exemptions, like having another daily driver, or just passing the sniffer test. Hell, they could even charge you more for a sniff-only test.. but at least make it legal!

Stupid laws turn honest men into criminals.
Old 02-12-2003, 05:38 AM
Mikedril
Advanced

Default Re: Californians who want to install headers please read. (TIMSPEED)

This post has been viewed 350 times. If all 350 viewers wrote to Holley, they may take notice!!!! (OK maybe I viewed it more than once) :lol:
Old 02-12-2003, 03:38 PM
Rick86
Burning Brakes

I don't know if this might help or not, but I purchased the 49 state legal, kit from Ecklers that eliminates the pre-cats. It has E.O. numbers. From what I understand you have to use the entire system for the E.O. to apply. Anyway I moved here to CA from TN and brought my Vette with me. When I went to have it smogged the certifcate said I only had to meet Federal emmission standards, and they gave me no grief about the catless front Y. I'm wondering since I'm legally not running pre-cats, could I install headers if they were 49 state legal? I don't think asking for 49 state legal headers is a stretch. Walker got rid or the pre-cat problem already.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:47 PM
james holley
Pro

I've got Hooker long tubes and have no problems registering my car. No I can't tell the world how I do it. :yesnod:

Quick Reply: Californians who want to install headers please read.