C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Who has long term success with a blower?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 10:20 AM
Hammer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Who has long term success with a blower?

I'm doing a stroker and I'm starting to think about adding a blower.

I would like some real world experience (including tuning).

Thanks
Jim
Old 02-21-2003, 04:47 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Default Re: Who has long term success with a blower? (Hammer)

Hammer,

Well, it depends if you mean by sucess. Tuning is the key to achiving performance and to some extent reliability. It is not just a simple bolt-on.

On the positive side, I have had my ATI in for more than 4 years. After fighting repeated alternator failures for years I found that PowerMaster make it very reliable. I have not had any problem with the blower itself :hurray: but belts need to be replaced every year. Frequent oil changes are a must.

If you are building an engine ground up you really should have the engine built with that in mind. I think forged parts and lower compression are the major considerations, but a matched cam is also important. Make sure the heads and intake can handle the extra flow and work on the exhaust will pay off well.

The point is to make sure everything matches and works together, not just thrown together from some catalog.
Old 02-21-2003, 04:48 PM
Ruby6spd
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have any experience with the blown motors but I would say go for it. If you can build the correct compression ratio and get a good blower cam and tune I don't see why you would have any problems. If the engine is built for the right purposes and tuned right they should last

Good Luck
Old 02-21-2003, 05:06 PM
Hammer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Who has long term success with a blower? (Ruby6spd)

If I decided to add the blower it would have to be now, and I would adjust the build for it (lower compression, cam, already forged).

Tuning is my concern, I can't find anyone locally to dyno tune. It would probably be better to just go DFI or FAST.

Jim
Old 02-21-2003, 06:21 PM
StealDads67
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If I decided to add the blower it would have to be now, and I would adjust the build for it (lower compression, cam, already forged).

Tuning is my concern, I can't find anyone locally to dyno tune. It would probably be better to just go DFI or FAST.

Jim
What about Vette Doctors for the dyno tune?? I say go with the Supercharger :yesnod:
Old 02-21-2003, 07:13 PM
Hammer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Who has long term success with a blower? (StealDads67)

Kevin,
The VD don't do my year on site, they do from '93 and up.

Tuning is a huge issue for supercharging, if I can't find anyone to do it semi-local I will use nitrous.

Jim
Old 02-23-2003, 05:24 PM
black bart
Drifting

Kevin,
The VD don't do my year on site, they do from '93 and up.

Tuning is a huge issue for supercharging, if I can't find anyone to do it semi-local I will use nitrous.

Jim
Install a gen. 7 wide band and tune it yourself.
I have been building and driving blower motors since 1976 wouldn't think of doing iit any other way. IF IT'S NOT BLOWIN IT SUCKS :lolg:
Old 02-23-2003, 05:59 PM
StealDads67
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Who has long term success with a blower? (black bart)

Black Bart.... Im guessing by your post... the Gen 7 does accomidate for boost?? Also... I have been told they are almost plug and play.... Tuning isnt hard at all..... Is this correct... Im trying to get familiar with these systems
Old 02-23-2003, 09:05 PM
Hammer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Who has long term success with a blower? (StealDads67)

Bart,
I've been reading a little about DFI and FAST. Is the Gen 7 DFI better than the FAST? Roughly, how much are these systems, complete and installed?

Jim
Old 02-24-2003, 05:25 PM
black bart
Drifting

Bart,
I've been reading a little about DFI and FAST. Is the Gen 7 DFI better than the FAST? Roughly, how much are these systems, complete and installed?

Jim
Opinions are like azz holes we all have one here is mine you may disagree.

When FAST came out with there latest unit accel was still using the 6.32 and fast was way ahead but I look for fast to come out with a new unit because the new gen.7 is the most advanced on the market now.
Both sell for about the same price. msrp on the gen.7 with wide band is a little over $ 2400. I have no idea what the install would be I do all of my own work. Best way to learn more about it is go to http://www.mrgasket.com click on the dfi section then click on download demo. This will let you see how it looks when engine is running. If you burn a chip you may get it tuned close but with the dfi you can tune it dead nuts on. Also the gm ecm will not allow you to go beyond about 500 hp regardless of what chip you use in it so I had no choice I had to go to dfi but it is cheaper in the long run you can tune it while driving or on a dyno. :steering:
Old 02-24-2003, 07:25 PM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Default Re: Who has long term success with a blower? (black bart)

Hammer, My 2500 Suburban has 90k plus mile's on it. With the blower & alot of towing.Max 7lbs. boost. Long term sucess = fantastic. Go for it !!!!!!!!!!!
HTH :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To Who has long term success with a blower?

Quick Reply: Who has long term success with a blower?