C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Automatic Shift Knob Removal...How To??

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 05:03 PM
rubyred93
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic Shift **** Removal...How To??

Okay, I hate to ask what seems like such a simple question, but I have checked both the Factory Manuals and the Chilton's Manual and I am at a loss.

This afternoon I removed my AC Delco Bose unit to send off to Dr. Don's (yes, the infamous bad CD player issue) and the job would have been a bit easier if I could have removed the shifter **** instead of working around it and the console cover (can't remove the console cover with the shift **** in place).

So, can someone please explain how to remove the shifter **** on an automatic? Thank you.

:banghead:
Old 02-22-2003, 05:09 PM
1STVETTE90
Advanced

Default Re: Automatic Shift **** Removal...How To?? (rubyred93)

On my 90, you just pull the button straight upand out and then there is a C-clip down inside that you have to remove. :cheers:
Old 02-22-2003, 05:54 PM
biggrizzly
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist

Default Re: Automatic Shift **** Removal...How To?? (1STVETTE90)

:iagree:

If you have a long pair of needle nose pliers you can use them instead of the correct tool to remove the C-clip. It is a PITA this way but will work just fine. Once the C-clip is off you need to tug real hard on the **** if it aint been off before.

Good Luck :cheers:
Old 02-22-2003, 06:07 PM
Vette9d1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Automatic Shift **** Removal...How To?? (biggrizzly)

Just like they said. On my '91 it is very easy...a three minute step if that!
Old 02-22-2003, 10:41 PM
PurpleC4
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Currently Corvette-less

The answer to your question is in the first few steps of my stereo R&R procedure.

Steps for Removal Of the Delco-Bose Radio for light bulb replacement

Before doing anything, take a good look at your unit at night and determine where the dark areas are. This will help you understand which bulbs require replacement once you get the radio apart.

Parts Required
Radio Shack
12 volt, Bi-Pin, 50 milliamp bulbs
P/N 272-1154 ($1.39 each)
1 per package

If your car is equipped with an automatic transmission;

With car sitting on a level surface, apply emergency brake and select neutral with shifter.
Turn ignition switch to off.
Pry shifter button out of shift **** by inserting a thin blade screwdrivers on each side of button.
Use a pair of straight nose snap ring pliers to remove spring clip on shifter ****.
Pull shifter **** off of shift lever.
Remove shifter trim plate by first removing two 7 mm screws inside console. Pull corners of carpet up to reveal screws.
Remove the one 7 mm screw that is found inside cup holder.
Gently lift up trim plate until you can unplug shift indicator light. Rotate light socket to disengage from plate.
Unplug cigarette lighter socket by prying the two tabs and slide socket off of lighter receptacle.
Leave rear deck release wiring attached to button, and swing trim plate to the passenger seat.
Lower steering wheel by tilting to the lowest position.
Remove two cross head screws in A/C duct, and remove grill
Remove radio trim plate by first removing two screws at bottom of plate and one at top right. Be careful when removing trim plate because there is a spring clip on left side. Pull straight out to disengage clip.
Radio has 4 screws that hold it into dash. Remove all 4 screws, being careful not to drop any. They are hard to find once you drop them.
Remove radio from dash, by sliding out and at the same time prying the trim away to allow room for the radio attachment ears. If you are not careful, you will scratch the trim work.
When radio is out sufficiently, unplug the two electrical connectors. Don’t worry; they are keyed so you can’t mix them up when plugging back in.

Take radio to workbench, or table, and lay a soft cloth or cardboard down to protect both the radio and counter top. Remove the top cover of radio. There are about 13 small screws located on the top, back and sides. With top off, remove the volume, balance, and tone ***** by pulling off. These ***** are specific to each function, so don’t mix them up. If you do, no big deal, you just have to sort it out.

Next, you want to remove the faceplate. This is done by gently prying the tabs that are located on the top and sides. The face will rotate out at the top first. Continue rotating until you can disengage the tabs on the bottom side. Pull the plate out far enough to disconnect the two connectors on the ribbon cables going to the back of the faceplate. Once the cables are disconnected, the plate can be completely removed from the radio.

There are 4 small socket head screws on the circuit board that hold the circuit board to the faceplate. Lay the face plate face down and remove the four screws. Gently lift the board away from the face plate. Be careful and don’t accidentally dump out all your face plate push buttons, cause then you won’t know which button goes where…unless you have a better memory than me. My savior was a picture of the radio in the MidAm Catalog. Need I say more? Now, where were we?

You will see 3 lights around the display, and four lights in the pushbutton area. The 3 lights around the display are identical to the ones you bought at Radio Shack. Unsolder the old ones and replace. The 4 in the pushbutton area are not an exact match in size, but they work, and are easy to solder into the board.

When all lights are replaced in the board, set it aside and look at the two light bulbs by the volume and balance controls. The top light is replaceable, and can be removed by grasping with your fingers and pulling out. Replacement bulbs are available at AutoZone or at the dealer. Don’t ask the dealer to look the part up on his computer, cause he won’t show it. Just show him the bulb. The bottom light is hard soldered and if you must replace it, use one of the bulbs you purchased at Radio Shack. Again, the bulbs won’t be an exact match, but they work just fine.

Re-assembly is pretty straightforward. Be careful, and when re-installing into the dash, slide the unit in far enough to hook the two connectors up, then try the lights prior to final assembly.

Don’t forget to slide the shift indicator slot over the shifter tab when lowering the console plate back into position.

:seeya Purp
Old 02-22-2003, 10:46 PM
ckgunn
Pro

Cool info, i've been needing to do that. :cheers:
Old 02-24-2003, 12:44 AM
John Row
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Automatic Shift **** Removal...How To?? (PurpleC4)

...Before doing anything, take a good look at your unit at night and determine where the dark areas are. This will help you understand which bulbs require replacement once you get the radio apart.
:iagree:
These are superb instructions. It's a good cheap "might as well..." service.

Also, get a good pair of circlip pliers. They only cost about $7. They save a lot of aggravation. They don't call those clips "jesus clips, as in jesus where'd that go..." for nothing.
Old 02-24-2003, 01:43 PM
_freakmonkeydogboy_
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Automatic Shift **** Removal...How To?? (PurpleC4)

Pry shifter button out of shift **** by inserting a thin blade screwdrivers on each side of button.
Use a pair of straight nose snap ring pliers to remove spring clip on shifter ****.
Pull shifter **** off of shift lever.
:withstupid:
Old 02-24-2003, 03:39 PM
PurpleC4
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Currently Corvette-less

Default Re: Automatic Shift **** Removal...How To?? (John Row)

Actually ~ the fun begins when putting the circlip back on. Practice makes perfect. Good lighting helps!
~ Purp :steering:

Get notified of new replies

To Automatic Shift Knob Removal...How To??

Quick Reply: Automatic Shift Knob Removal...How To??