C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Service ASR light came on, Service Engine Soon... (???)

Old 02-23-2003, 01:44 AM
mooncricket
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Service ASR light came on, Service Engine Soon... (???)

On the way home tonight, my 92' LT1 stumbled a little, then the Service ASR light came on. The the Service Engine Soon Light came on, and it would occasionally stumble some more, and idle up or down slightly.

Additionally, when I pulled into the driveway, I sat with the motor running, and noticed that occasionally the Security light on the left side of the dash would flash three times, and the letters "SYS" would flash with it simultaneously three times in the speedo readout, next to mph where it would normally read temp., etc..

I shut it off, and restarted it a couple of times and got the same thing each time. Finally, I shut it off and restarted it one more time, and everything was back to normal, idle was fine, no ASR light, no Security/SYS, no Service Engine Soon light, no stumble.

Anybody have a clue what the heck this was this all about? Anybody have this happen, and what was the outcome? The has been a lot of snow here in Jersey, then tonight there was a whole lot of rain and some pretty good puddles I may have went through, so could it have been some water from a puddle? :confused: :confused: :confused:
Old 02-23-2003, 02:49 AM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: Service ASR light came on, Service Engine Soon... (mooncricket)

I dont know how this would make your engine stumble... but the ASR and Check engine light are notorious for comming on when you have low brake fluid... this happens as the pads wear out.. GM has a SB out on this and there is a new sensor that will fix it.. or you can just top off the brake fluid.. anyways, hope that helps
Old 02-23-2003, 09:55 AM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the way home tonight, my 92' LT1 stumbled a little, then the Service ASR light came on. The the Service Engine Soon Light came on, and it would occasionally stumble some more, and idle up or down slightly.

Additionally, when I pulled into the driveway, I sat with the motor running, and noticed that occasionally the Security light on the left side of the dash would flash three times, and the letters "SYS" would flash with it simultaneously three times in the speedo readout, next to mph where it would normally read temp., etc..

I shut it off, and restarted it a couple of times and got the same thing each time. Finally, I shut it off and restarted it one more time, and everything was back to normal, idle was fine, no ASR light, no Security/SYS, no Service Engine Soon light, no stumble.
I can't say for sure. But, a similar thing happened to me about two years ago.
In my case, I got the ASR/ABS lights, the SYS flashing, and the climate control LED flashing. For me, it only happened after the engine warmed up -- in the end, this was an important clue.
My problem was cured by replacing the ECM. What was happening was, after the ECM got hot from the engine heat under the hood, it would quit sending the engine RPM signal to the ABS/ASR, and the climate control system. Since the CCM is the master computer and the others are slaves, this RPM signal that goes out over the serial-bus goes to the CCM first and then the CCM sends it to the climate control and ASR/ABS computers. Even though I never got a "Service Engine Soon" light, the ECM was the problem.

Tom Piper
Old 02-23-2003, 10:46 AM
mooncricket
Pro

Default Re: Service ASR light came on, Service Engine Soon... (Tom Piper)

I remember some posts here about low brake fluid making strrange things happen. I just put new front brakes on it last week, I remember that one of the calibers was a little wet inside....

I'm going to check it all out today, and look at the caliber again. I'm also going to check the codes.

:rolleyes:
Old 02-23-2003, 11:09 AM
ShawnZR-1
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'10-'11-'12

It sounds more like a problem with the ECM and its communications. The SYS light comes on when there is a serial communications failure between the ECM and the CCM. When my ECM went flakey on me, nearly the same thing happened. The Security light came on, SYS flashed on the dash then about every other light blinked and it went into Limp mode (stumbled badly too).

Check the wiring at the ECM, reseat the chip in it, and keep an eye on the whole thing.
Old 02-23-2003, 12:11 PM
mooncricket
Pro

Default Re: Service ASR light came on, Service Engine Soon... (92Shawnster)

So what's an ECM going to cost me if that's the case? Is it okay to unplug things to look at connections, or will that cause me headaches? Do I need to take it to a dealer (ugh!) or could I change it myself if need be...

Also, if it goes completely, will my it go into limp mode as yours did so I won't be stranded somewhere... :(
Old 02-23-2003, 12:57 PM
vetteweiser
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'13- '14
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Mine had similar problems. I replaced any damaged vacuum line, that didnt cure it (though it raised my voltage output by 1 full volt :crazy: )

I replaced a broken crankcase vent tube, still didnt cure the problem. I then replaced the TPS, and everything is PERFECT now!! I was getting a code 22 and 64. The new TPS (20 bucks at Discount Auto) cured mine.

Have you pulled the codes on it? That should help shed some light too. I forget the website, but I'm sure someone can chime in as to which website it is that lists the codes.

I'd definatly check the TPS.
Old 02-23-2003, 05:45 PM
dscottr
Racer

Default Re: Service ASR light came on, Service Engine Soon... (vetteweiser)

The same thing kept happening to me. The dealer replaced the ECM $225 plus labor. Started again same day I got my car back, but the dealer couldn't fix it. I went to another shop, they said the ecm was bad again. Replaced the ECM, and it drove fine for a week, then the same codes. Except this time the speedo went out also. It appears to be fixed now, a transmission fluid leak was shorting out my speed sensor. They also cleaned up the ground connections. No codes yet, but its early.

Best of luck, My guess is these are all very common codes for electrical problems. Sys flash, security light, service ASR, and Engine light.
Old 02-24-2003, 12:06 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 299 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I had the exact same symptoms last month...I mean exact !...ECM was the culprit...$225.00 plus labor...all fixed...good luck
Old 02-24-2003, 07:17 AM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Service ASR light came on, Service Engine Soon... (golfboy1)

My car is a '92 (see my post above).
I've noticed that everyone that has had this problem has listed their car as a '92. I don't think you will see this problem on a '94 and up -- after that, GM went to a different ECM.

As an added note, the ECM, CCM, ABS/ASR, and C68 climate control are on the same serial bus. You can disconnect the ABS/ASR and C68 climate control computers from the serial-bus to eliminate them. If you still have the problem after disconnecting the ABS/ASR and C68 climate control computers, you have narrowed the problem to the ECM and CCM -- the CCM seems to be more reliable than the ECM.

If I had my Vetronix Tech-1A scan-tool connected when the problem occurred, I got a "loss of communications" message, but no ECM error codes.

Tom Piper

[Modified by Tom Piper, 7:28 AM 2/24/2003]
Old 02-24-2003, 08:27 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

I had the same problem as you but a little bit worse. I was driving and EVERYTHING went out. Every light on the DIC lit up, all of the gauges froze where they were, even the tach, the speedometer went to zero, the security light started flashing and SYS started flashing as well.

It would run fair, enough to limp home but anything over just minor throttle changes would make it stumble like crazy. Right before I got home I hit a big bump and everything came back to life. It did this for a day or two, I replaced the ECM and haven't had another problem with it.
Old 02-25-2003, 07:53 AM
mooncricket
Pro

Default Re: Service ASR light came on, Service Engine Soon... (Nathan Plemons)

Here's the latest :rolleyes:

I drove to my folks house on Sunday (about a 45 minute ride), then ran to the local Autozone and back to pick up my new brake rotors... (another half hour) Everything was fine, but it did stumble once and give me the Service Engine Soon light... but only for a split second then it went back to normal.

When I went to jump in it to come home from my folks house, it started, ran horrible and gave me all the same lights as before. :mad I shut it off, thinking I could restart it and it would straiten out so I could make it home. It would crank, but never started again.

So I had my code reader at my folks house, just by luck but I think the bulb in my Service Engine Soon light went bad. It was working when I tried to start it, because I remember it flashing... but it must have burnt out when I was trying to get it started because it stopped coming on and it wouldn't come with the key switch in the check-bulb position. Can you believe it!!!

I had to miss work yesterday to wait for a rollback to take it to Conte's Corvettes in Vineland, NJ. He can't get to it until Wednesday at the earliest so I'm thumbing it for now. What a PITA!
Old 02-25-2003, 08:36 AM
ShawnZR-1
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'10-'11-'12

http://www.tld-corvette.com/Merchant...4-96+COMPUTERS

$140 (but there's a core charge). Just replace it.

Yes, you can completely remove the ECM, unplug everything and check the connections without screwing anything up. I would disconnect the battery first, just in case. When you swap the ECM, you'll use your own chip. Once you have the ECM out, flip it over and you'll see a panel with 4 screws, under that panel is your chip. Carefully remove it and put it in the new ECM when you get it.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:53 AM
mooncricket
Pro

Default Re: Service ASR light came on, Service Engine Soon... (92Shawnster)

http://www.tld-corvette.com/Merchant...4-96+COMPUTERS

$140 (but there's a core charge). Just replace it.

Yes, you can completely remove the ECM, unplug everything and check the connections without screwing anything up. I would disconnect the battery first, just in case. When you swap the ECM, you'll use your own chip. Once you have the ECM out, flip it over and you'll see a panel with 4 screws, under that panel is your chip. Carefully remove it and put it in the new ECM when you get it.
Thanks, but unfortunately I'm not in a position to DIY the thing, since it died completely, and was clogging up my folks' driveway. I actually saw remanufactured ECMs (with core charge) for $84.95 on this site, I think from ZIP. I was hoping that it was just an intermittant issue, and I could get some good advice from this site (which I have of course) and fix it myself but it just aint going to work out that way.

Sometimes your the windsheild, sometimes your the bug. Looks like I'm the bug this week.
Old 02-27-2003, 05:35 PM
mooncricket
Pro

Oh boy, I need some advice now....

I got the call tonight, my car was fixed. They said it was the IAC... it was loose, and damaged, and something about the spring was screwed up......... a few months back, I had it changed by the transmission shop who did the latest transmission service because of an occasionally very high idle, and an occasional no idle at all. They had a special wrench for it, and it was just easier to have them install it. The new IAC didn't fix the problem back then. (My hunch is NOW that it never got installed)

So last week, when I dropped the car off for the Security/SYS/Service Engine Soon/Service ASR/stumble/no start issue that I originally posted about, I mentioned the idle thing and asked them to check it out as well.

Here is my theory, tell me what you guys think: I have an ECM (or otherwise) problem that is intermittent......... when they went to work on it, it WAS WORKING FINE. Maybe from the ride on the roll-back, hitting a bump or something(????) I am afraid to drive it out of there now, because I'm afraid it will come back and I will be stranded and back to square one.

They said the battery was too low to start the car... so they had to jump it so I might have lost some codes. After they jumped it, it stored only the IAC code, because that was the only thing wrong with it when they got it restarted as far as the car was concerned. Any ECM related codes would have been lost with the dead battery, if the ECM was working again. I probably hurt the battery pretty good trying to get it started...

Am I making any since to anybody?

The question is, should I heed my fellow forum members' experiences with the same problem, and just get an ECM??? I discussed my concern with the mechanic, and he tends to think that I might be right. So he got some prices. Check this out: they want $534 plus labor (cheap they said, easy job) for a new one, OR $172.43 with a 3-4 day turn around to rebuild mine (they didn't have any cores available where-ever he was going to send it)

Will the IAC cause any of the problems I had anyway? The mechanic explained all of the lights that I got by the car just dying when the IAC caused the car to stall by choking off it's idle air, as in the bulb-check position on the key switch, when the key is in the "run" position but the engine isn't running yet. He said they will all come on anyway, then I told him that doesn't explain the flashing SECURITY/SYS three times every ten seconds.... cause' I've never seen that one when starting the car (or ever).

Should I just score an ECM for $85. from ZIP or otherwise and cut my losses before they start racking up? I'm sure I can get a better deal and save the labor costs...

Any thoughts would be highly appreciated. :confused:
Old 02-27-2003, 06:09 PM
PTz-92-LT1
Racer

The last time I had those same symptoms in my 92 it was the ECM. Got a rebuildt unit from MAD for $99. The first one they sent didn't work. The second one worked for over a year now.
Old 02-28-2003, 10:08 AM
mooncricket
Pro

Default Re: Service ASR light came on, Service Engine Soon... (PTz-92-LT1)

New ECM on the way. ZIP, $89.00 remanufactured.

;)

Get notified of new replies

To Service ASR light came on, Service Engine Soon... (???)

Old 03-02-2003, 07:40 PM
DHealey
Racer

Last year on my 92, the SYS light began flashing three times then OK for a while then three times again.
Someone on the forum suggested the battery may not be holding a charge properly. I had it checked, it wasn't , so I replaced it and havent had a problem since.
Old 03-03-2003, 11:52 AM
mooncricket
Pro

Default Re: Service ASR light came on, Service Engine Soon... (DHealey)

I read a similar post just recently here. I think I had bigger problems, with the other lights and the stumbling/no start issue.

I do have an extra brand new Delco Gold that I am going to put in as soon as winter breaks, just because I have it. I wound up with an extra battery when the one in my 88' died. It was cheaper and quicker to walk to Pep-Boys and just buy a new one, then I returned the old one under warranty to Sears.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:11 PM
SkyKohl
Intermediate

Default Service ASR; Service Engine Soon; SYS flash; no codes stored

I realize this thread is dated, however a search of the forum showed similar problems I have.

The problem arises when I go over a bump. The Service ASR light on the DIC comes on along with the Service Engine Soon light; Intermittently the Security warning light will flash, while the SYS light in the speedometer will flash on and off with 0 MPH showing while the car is moving. Despite all this, it will buck for an instant, and then run normally with all these warning indicators still on! Turning the engine off erases all the lights and everything works fine. There are no codes stored.

Did replacing the ECM cure the problem?

Did checking the ECM wiring and reseating the chip work?

Originally Posted by mooncricket
I read a similar post just recently here. I think I had bigger problems, with the other lights and the stumbling/no start issue.

I do have an extra brand new Delco Gold that I am going to put in as soon as winter breaks, just because I have it. I wound up with an extra battery when the one in my 88' died. It was cheaper and quicker to walk to Pep-Boys and just buy a new one, then I returned the old one under warranty to Sears.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Service ASR light came on, Service Engine Soon... (???)