C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Redesigned Rear Control Arms for Wide Tire Clearance (update?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 02:30 PM
ROME
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Redesigned Rear Control Arms for Wide Tire Clearance (update?)

About a month ago I posted an inquiry regarding my attempt to fit 18x11.5 CCW wheels and 335's on the rear of my standard coupe. After receiving my wheel/tire combos from CCW, I determined that the proper fitment of this tire/wheel combo would require a slight redesign of the rear control arms, as well as the sway bar attachment points and the interior plastic wheel well skirt.

We're going to use a heat gun to reshape the interior of the wheel well, and my local fabricator is going to help redesign the sway bar outer attachemnt points to clear the inside wheel rim. The only factor left at that point will be the rear control arms.

One of the forum members here mentioned that they were in the process of fabricating some custom control arms with enough "relief" (1/2"+) to allow the wider wheels to clear them. I can't find the original thread on the forums, and I'm hoping to get an update on these modified control arms. Please let me know how your progress is going with these. If they work, I'm interested in buying a set from you. I'd also love to see some pics of the final product installed on the car. Thanks! :thumbs:
Old 02-24-2003, 02:35 PM
ROME
Racer

Default Re: Redesigned Rear Control Arms for Wide Tire Clearance (ROME)

Okay, I found the original thread at:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=479497

CorvetteZ51racer, sorry I forgot it was you that was planning to fabricate these. I'd love to hear any updates! Thanks :cheers:
Old 02-24-2003, 09:08 PM
TurboVette
Pro

Default Re: Redesigned Rear Control Arms for Wide Tire Clearance (ROME)

I'd love to hear any up-dates as well. Thanks
Old 02-24-2003, 09:56 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Redesigned Rear Control Arms for Wide Tire Clearance (TurboVette)

Hey folks! Sorry to say the project is on hold until next week (most likely) as my motor blew up about a week and a half ago. My Vette is my only source of wheels, so I've been working on trying to fix that. With any luck, the motor should be back in and that distraction taken care of by the end of this week. I should then be able to hit the trailing arm work next week.

Get notified of new replies

To Redesigned Rear Control Arms for Wide Tire Clearance (update?)

Quick Reply: Redesigned Rear Control Arms for Wide Tire Clearance (update?)