C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

FINALLY BYPASSED MY ABS SYSTEM

Old 03-06-2003, 06:44 PM
alfonso gomez
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default FINALLY BYPASSED MY ABS SYSTEM

:lol: Call me crazy but I've had it with the "ABS system from hell" in my 87 Coupe. In previous posts I griped about the problems with my brakes. In few words, the right front caliper "stuck" after aplying the brakes and the pads in that caliper "dragged" constantly. I wore the OEM pads in five months. I had the system flushed and crud came out of that side brake hose. I also had the master cylinder, front calipers, rotors and brake hoses replaced and the car still dragged the right front pads. After extensive checking by four different mechanics, they all concluded that the ABS modulator valve was to blame. The price in a GM dealership: $1,913.00 :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :
Shipping time was an estimated 2-3 weeks :mad :mad I could not leave the car in the shop that long since it is my daily driver. The last mechanic I took it to removed the ABS unit, installed a "distribution block" connected to the brake lines and: VOILA!!!!!!! The brakes work perfectly sans the ABS. He gave me the unit and I am planning to mount it on a wooden base and use it as an ornament in my living room's entertainment center. :lol: :lol: :lol: This "fix" cost me a mere $478.00. :yesnod: :yesnod: My wife is not too happy with the expense but now she can ride on Sundays with the targa top off. :D :D :D
Old 03-06-2003, 07:39 PM
kittmaster
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: FINALLY BYPASSED MY ABS SYSTEM (alfonso gomez)

So you didn't take anyones advise to search for an alternate replacement? Safety should be the first concern, and you've probably put both you and you wife at risk now that you now longer have abs (If i understand the fix you mention)....... :nonod:
Old 03-06-2003, 07:45 PM
snaketr
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: FINALLY BYPASSED MY ABS SYSTEM (kittmaster)

I had to say this now, but I would have sold you a used for $150.
Old 03-06-2003, 07:49 PM
kittmaster
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: FINALLY BYPASSED MY ABS SYSTEM (snaketr)

thanks for proving my point...... :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To FINALLY BYPASSED MY ABS SYSTEM

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FINALLY BYPASSED MY ABS SYSTEM