C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Silicone grease or heat sink paste on back of Ignition Control Module?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 12:16 PM
Lone Ranger
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Silicone grease or heat sink paste on back of Ignition Control Module?

Another nit pickin' question. The Haynes manual says to use silicone dielectric grease on the back of the ICM where it mounts to the ignition coil heat sink bracket. Most of the white colored heat sink compounds, including the one I used on back of my ICM, while made from a silicone base also contain zinc oxide. Zinc is a conductor of electricity. Hmm...

What say you all?

:chevy
Old 03-13-2003, 12:25 PM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

Default Re: Silicone grease or heat sink paste on back of Ignition Control Module? (Lone Ranger)

The white paste is usually regarded as the better of the two. But, silicone grease is more readily available and is a good heat conductor.
Most electronic circuits where you are concerned about electrical insulation but good thermal conductivity have an electrical insulator (mica, etc) used to electrically isolate the component along with silicone grease or the white paste on each side to conduct the heat.

Tom Piper
Old 03-13-2003, 12:32 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Silicone grease or heat sink paste on back of Ignition Control Module? (Tom Piper)

Zinc oxide is an electrical insulator but conducts heat well.
Old 03-13-2003, 05:30 PM
Lone Ranger
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Silicone grease or heat sink paste on back of Ignition Control Module? (jfb)

Zinc oxide is an electrical insulator but conducts heat well.
That clears it up. I didn't take into account that it is *oxide* ... I was thinking zinc = metal = conductor.

Thanks for the info :chevy
Old 03-13-2003, 06:14 PM
Corvette0096
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Silicone grease or heat sink paste on back of Ignition Control Module? (Lone Ranger)

I would just get you a tube of that Arctic cold from a PC store.
Old 03-13-2003, 06:36 PM
Iroc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Silicone grease or heat sink paste on back of Ignition Control Module? (corvette0096)

http://www.arcticsilver.com/ :cool: :thumbs:

Haven't used it for car purposes but it works great between my cpu & heatsink, IMHO its the best.

[Modified by Iroc, 6:37 PM 3/13/2003]
Old 03-13-2003, 08:27 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I just bought the ignition control driver that goes on the bracket holding the coil. It came (from the chevy parts depart.) with dielectric grease with instructions to apply on the back of the driver. Dielectric grease is available everywhere. I guess that's all you need.

Strick :cheers:
Old 03-13-2003, 08:29 PM
Lone Ranger
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Silicone grease or heat sink paste on back of Ignition Control Module? (Strick)

I just bought the ignition control driver that goes on the bracket holding the coil. It came (from the chevy parts depart.) with dielectric grease with instructions to apply on the back of the driver. Dielectric grease is available everywhere. I guess that's all you need.

Strick :cheers:
Is the dielectric that came with it clear or is it white?
Old 03-13-2003, 08:52 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

It's the clear stuff. If the General says to use it, I listen, most of the time.

Strick
Old 03-13-2003, 10:03 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Default Re: Silicone grease or heat sink paste on back of Ignition Control Module? (Strick)

Use the white grease for the ESC module. Radio Shack has it.

Get notified of new replies

To Silicone grease or heat sink paste on back of Ignition Control Module?

Quick Reply: Silicone grease or heat sink paste on back of Ignition Control Module?