C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Crap!! car won't start...it's clicking at me even when key is out.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 01:10 PM
Crispyc21
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Crap!! car won't start...it's clicking at me even when key is out.

I attempted to start my car this morning but ran into problems. I turned the key and the dash and other lights came on for a second then when out. The car did not turn over or anything. This has happened before and I would just take out the key wait a couple seconds and try it again and it would work. The strange thing that happened this morning was after the light flashed the car made a clicking sound. It wasn’t the starter or anything because it would make the sound after the key was turned into the off position and even taken out. The sound sounded like it was coming from behind the stereo, and it went away after a minute or so. I know the usual routine is to wait 15 minutes and try it again but I was running late for work so I just grabbed the keys to my truck and took that. Any ideas of what I should do\look at if it doesn’t start when I get home???
I did have a new stereo (kenwood MP3 player) installed over a month ago but I don’t think that has anything to do with it because this has sort of happened in the past.
Old 03-14-2003, 01:14 PM
SPD DMN
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Crap!! car won't start...it's clicking at me even when key is out. (Crispyc21)

Check your battery, sounds like it is dead. The clicking noise you hear is a relay inside the dash that is clicking open and closed because it does not have enough juice to stay open.
Old 03-14-2003, 01:30 PM
ittlfly
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Crap!! car won't start...it's clicking at me even when key is out. (lani's 93)

:iagree: I would just add that you should check all the battery terminals (both ends) including the gound to the frame for clean and tight.
Old 03-14-2003, 02:07 PM
tucsonvette
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Crap!! car won't start...it's clicking at me even when key is out. (ittlfly)

the same thing happened to me a while back...but it was when my alternator died....on the middle of the highway...at night...the day i bought the car....
Old 03-14-2003, 02:15 PM
El Guapo
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '03

Default Re: Crap!! car won't start...it's clicking at me even when key is out. (ittlfly)

like the others have said, check both terminals and make sure they are clean. Don't just look at the outside, disconnect them both. You don't want to run into what I have had to deal with. My battery went dead and when I tried to take the positive cable out the whole damn terminal ripped off of the side of the battery. I had the bolt and the lead terminal from the battery pretty much welded to the positive wire. I had to call in sick today and drill the bolt out. PITA.

From now on I will disconnect and clean the terminals every 6 months.
Old 03-14-2003, 04:48 PM
RUSS105
Instructor

Default Re: Crap!! car won't start...it's clicking at me even when key is out. (El Guapo)

I just recently had the almost the same thing. I turn key but no turn over. Clicking came from beyond the stereo. It turns out that it's the factory alarm activated. Try manualy locking both dors with key and then unlock and start. Worked for me. :steering:
Old 03-14-2003, 05:10 PM
knp
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Crap!! car won't start...it's clicking at me even when key is out. (Crispyc21)

I had the exact same thing happen to me (all the dash lights coming on for a split second and then everything dying, the clicking noise, etc.). I'm betting you have a dead battery.
Old 03-14-2003, 05:17 PM
GS919
Pro

Same thing here this fall. Battery is toast. :yesnod:
Old 03-15-2003, 03:52 PM
Crispyc21
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys, you were right. My battery was dead. The negative terminal was crapping out on me. Actually it broke off from the battery when I tried to loosen it. I panicked a little thinking I was going to need to be rewired for my negative cable but I was able to get in undone.
Now for my rant. Could they make it any harder for something that should be very simple as changing a battery? I was loosening the bolt that holds the batter down one click of the ratchet at a time. Oh well, I’m back on the road. Thanks again guys.

Get notified of new replies

To Crap!! car won't start...it's clicking at me even when key is out.

Quick Reply: Crap!! car won't start...it's clicking at me even when key is out.