C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Car won't go in gear, clutch soft& when you give gas the speedometer moves

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2003, 02:57 PM
torchred89
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car won't go in gear, clutch soft& when you give gas the speedometer moves

1989 6speed when I put it away in Oct it was find, I went to start it today and the clutch was real easy to push in,when the engine started Icouldn't get it to go in gear. With the clutch in and the trans in neutral, when you step on the gas the speedometer goes up. This car has 24000 miles no leaks on the garage floor all fluids seem find. Help it's beautiful out I want to go for a ride
Old 03-15-2003, 03:21 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: Car won't go in gear, clutch soft& when you give gas the speedometer moves (torchred89)

If the speedo moves, the trans output shaft is turning. Possibly, motion is being transfered through the grease in the trans. One way or another, power is getting from the engine to the trans. If this happens with the clutch pedal, in, there is a problem up front (between the engine and trans, ie clutch). Worse yet, is that the output shaft is free to turn without moving the car. You didn't happen to remove the driveshaft last fall, and forget it, did you? Something, between the trans and rear wheels is broken or missing. Ouch!

RACE ON!!!
Old 03-15-2003, 03:55 PM
torchred89
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Car won't go in gear, clutch soft& when you give gas the speedometer moves (torchred89)

I am a dummy I haven't driven the car since oct and when i went out today to start it and it started right up and purred. I was so happy and then I put the clutch in and it was real soft and I couldn't get it in gear. so i stepped on the gas a little bit to try to get it in gear. Here comes the dumb part I was looking at the tact move not the speedometer. The car has 24000 miles on it and if it's the actuator cylinder again thats the third one. I need to drive it more
Old 03-15-2003, 04:36 PM
Raistlin
Burning Brakes

my car leaks clutch fluid from the master cylinder. doesn't show up on the ground, as far as I can tell. when it goes too low, the pedal has no resistance to it, it just goes to the floor, can't put it into gear. Have you checked the fluid level? On my '90, the fluid fill is on the drivers side, under the ecm, by the windshield.
Old 03-15-2003, 08:33 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I'm having a similar problem with my 87 but it won't go into reverse without a lot of grinding after driving for about 20 minutes. When that starts to happen, it becomes difficult to get the lever to move easily into any forward gear. I'm thinking there is something allowing air into the hydraulic system with repeated clutch pedal usage. The funny part is that everything works just fine in the morning after the car has set all night! Goes right into any gear with no problem.

I haven't found any drops of fluid nor are either the master or slave cylinders moist from leakage.

You can get rebuild kits for both cylinders for about $17 to $25 each. New units can run from $120 at NAPA to almost $220 at a dealer. One thing I discovered last week is that the short hose that connects the steel line from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder has been discontinued by GM :eek: . So far, I have not found an aftermarket source for this hose.

Get notified of new replies

To Car won't go in gear, clutch soft& when you give gas the speedometer moves

Quick Reply: Car won't go in gear, clutch soft& when you give gas the speedometer moves