C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Blown 377 - Crankcase pressure and oil problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 09:11 AM
steveelsbury
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Blown 377 - Crankcase pressure and oil problem (ziggy57)

Since it is blower motor, I would probably buy a piston too along with rings . I have seen it many times on blower motors. Hopefully that is not the case but since you mentioned difficulty in getting parts, just a thought on being prepared. I see your results from the compression test, but have you down a leak down yet?

Good luck and please post the results after you tear it down. :thumbs:
After I identified one bad cylinder, and it became apparent the heads were coming off, it didn't seem worth the effort of chasing round hardware stops for pipes and syringes to make up a leakdown tester!

I'll do a photo documentary of the tear-down and post it on my web-site, fo anyone who's interested. That last time someone on this forum saw one of my photo-docos, they said it was like I was working on a "freakin Triumph" - must admit that lost me a bit as I'm not sure what you'd do to a Triumph that would be wrong for a Corvette (or vice-versa) - but I know which car I'd rather own :lol:

Good call on the new piston, as that might be difficult to source!

Gaskets: Any suggestions on a good brand? I'll need exhaust (d-ports for AFR to TPIS long-tube), heads and inlet (mini-ram to AFR). I really should take the opportunity to replace those messy original exhaust bolts with some nice shiny new ones too - preferably torx or allen headed, as the long-tubes do not give a lot of clearance for a ring-spanner or socket!

Damn - must contact the engine builder and find out if the head bolts are 'torque to yeild' or standard! Standard can be reused with no problems, right?

Finally.....what the hell causes ring probs on a brand new motor in the first place? People talk about too rich a mix 'washing the rings out', which may have been what happened to me, if only I knew what it really meant!

Cheers,
Steve
Old 05-13-2003, 09:44 AM
GRX
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Blown 377 - Crankcase pressure and oil problem (steveelsbury)

Are you running a Carroll kit? Also, have you considered gapless rings? Do your pistons (forged hopefully) have enough ring land area? Most likely, you have fatigue or failure of the rings.
Old 05-25-2003, 12:29 PM
steveelsbury
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Blown 377 - Crankcase pressure and oil problem (GRX)

Hi GRX

Yes, it's a Carroll kit
Yes, the pistons are SRP forged

But I've just finished tearing down the engine, and it is the piston lands on number 2.

I posted some pics under this topic:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=568736

Steve

[Modified by steveelsbury, 6:30 PM 5/25/2003]
Old 09-06-2017, 08:34 PM
oscarm98
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default so what did you find?

Originally Posted by steveelsbury
Hi Joe

A bore-scope? Don't forget I'm in the UK, where the motor spares shops and garages stock the bare minimum parts and tools! I suppose I could go to the local proctologist and borrow an endoscope! Anyway, the heads have to come off this weekend, so it should all become clear then.

S

[Modified by steveelsbury, 2:59 PM 5/13/2003]
So what did you find? I know this is an old post but I spent all that time reading it and never found out what the problem was.

Quick Reply: Blown 377 - Crankcase pressure and oil problem