C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

GS upgrade "problem"......please help if been here done that.....ASAP!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 11:16 PM
kittmaster
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default GS upgrade "problem"......please help if been here done that.....ASAP!!

Added pictures below to show the installation

I upgraded to the GS from Jeff/Chris, they work absolutely perfect, no squeels not pulling, brake bleed was right on, and new hoses have already been installed.

The problem is this: If i'm moving forward and brake naturally or panic, no problems, if I "pulse" the brakes, press/release/press/release while moving forward I can hear the pads on both sides "clanking" within the bracket, it is VERY noticeable. I can physically see the pads moving within the bracket and it looks just like minor mechanical machine of the bracket to Factory GS pads, and is the same on both sides. I put antisqueel on both pads and push throughs. I didn't put any on the "ears" of the floating pads guides. Does anyone else experience this? I also have the guide pins that came with the calipers installed and the "E" clip has 1/8 inch space from the caliper body, is this normal??

The car stops on a dime and no noises under normal/emergency braking, but I know I'm missing something what is it? Does the pad make a difference on what side its on? I followed the 12 inch caliper and I believe the pad with the wear indicator is on the outside of the caliper.

Thanks
Kitt

[Modified by kittmaster, 11:43 AM 6/16/2003]
Old 06-15-2003, 11:19 PM
Ericthewolf
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: GS upgrade "problem"......please help if been here done that.....ASAP!! (kittmaster)

You did put the anti rattle clips in correct? Otherwise you may need to bend the anti rattle clips slightly. Also be positive you have the correct pads..

[Modified by Ericthewolf, 10:22 PM 6/15/2003]
Old 06-15-2003, 11:26 PM
kittmaster
Race Director

Default Re: GS upgrade "problem"......please help if been here done that.....ASAP!! (Ericthewolf)

There where no anti rattle clips that came with the pads?..... :confused: Only the pads where in the box. Anyone have a pic of the clips in question?
Old 06-16-2003, 12:00 AM
chaos on wheels
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: GS upgrade "problem"......please help if been here done that.....ASAP!! (kittmaster)

It's hard to see but...

Old 06-16-2003, 03:36 AM
edsalinas
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: GS upgrade "problem"......please help if been here done that.....ASAP!! (chaos on wheels)

same thing happened to me once, I forgot to put in the clips shown here, that should take care of the problem..

:thumbs:
It's hard to see but...

Old 06-16-2003, 07:38 AM
kittmaster
Race Director

Default Re: GS upgrade "problem"......please help if been here done that.....ASAP!! (edsalinas)

Yes both clips were already attached to the brake pads and are making contact. It looks like there isn't enough clip pressure to endure the transitioning as the pads seems to be "slipping" back and forth in bracket.

I got the brackets from Superior Chevrolet as part of the 12" to GS upgrade and was a direct bolt on fit.......

Now I'm not super nervous about the condition, but I do know something just isn't right............it is doing it on BOTH calipers which leads me to believe I may have not done something right.

I'll also use that picture to see if I put the pads in correctly, assuming yours are set up properly.

Any other insite guys and from others???

Thanks for the responses, getting closer to the problem it seems
Old 06-16-2003, 11:26 AM
kittmaster
Race Director

It was mentioned to me that I may be missing another mounting bracket??..... :confused:

Here are some pics of the install. See what you think

Looks good to me no??????

[Modified by kittmaster, 11:49 AM 6/16/2003]
Old 06-16-2003, 11:39 AM
edsalinas
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor

It's hard to see where the hanger bkt mates /w the knuckle, but you obviously have it installed, a question 4 the forum brake gurus, when did this mod NOT require an after market adapter plate to complete the install ???

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Old 06-16-2003, 11:43 AM
kittmaster
Race Director

Default Re: GS upgrade "problem"......please help if been here done that.....ASAP!! (edsalinas)

I'll take another shot of the knuckle and post it
Old 06-16-2003, 01:39 PM
Wheelman
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's hard to see where the hanger bkt mates /w the knuckle, but you obviously have it installed, a question 4 the forum brake gurus, when did this mod NOT require an after market adapter plate to complete the install ???

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
The c5 brake upgrade requires an adapter plate but just upgrading to the later (gs) c4 big brakes does not. :cheers:
Old 06-16-2003, 01:41 PM
Wheelman
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: GS upgrade "problem"......please help if been here done that.....ASAP!! (Ericthewolf)

You did put the anti rattle clips in correct? Otherwise you may need to bend the anti rattle clips slightly. Also be positive you have the correct pads.. [Modified by Ericthewolf, 10:22 PM 6/15/2003]
:withstupid:
Sometimes the clips on the pads get bent and dont hold the pads where they should. They should apply pressure when they are in the caliper, as to keep them a snug fit. If they dont, try pulling out the brake pads and bending the clips and reinstalling. :thumbs:
Old 06-16-2003, 01:43 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Only the 84-87 cars require an additional bracket ot mount the J55 brakes. In 88 you could get the J55's with the Z51 package.

Brakes look like they are fine. Althought the persistant clunk is perplexing. When you mount the caliper in to the bracket it should a tight fit, meaning that you have to keep constant pressure on the caliper in order to slide the locking pin in. You may have to much slack in the mounting tab.......
Old 06-16-2003, 02:12 PM
kittmaster
Race Director

Default Re: GS upgrade "problem"......please help if been here done that.....ASAP!! (Jeffvette)

I have rebent the caliper retainers to apply more pressure. The pads and caliper seem to snap into place, I have to push the retainers in to get the pin in. Seems like a very simple operation. I added some brake juice into the pad ears to see if that will act as a "shock" absorber. This is perplexing and driving me nuts.......errrrrrrrr
Old 06-16-2003, 02:29 PM
John Row
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting! My pin and clips are on the bottom of the calipers! (At least that's what I think I remember. Wife has the car today).
Old 06-16-2003, 02:56 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Default Re: GS upgrade "problem"......please help if been here done that.....ASAP!! (John Row)

Interesting! My pin and clips are on the bottom of the calipers! (At least that's what I think I remember. Wife has the car today).
John has a point..... although I don't see how it would make a difference. As reference here is a J55 from a Left front

Old 06-16-2003, 03:53 PM
jsaunde2
Racer

Default Re: GS upgrade "problem"......please help if been here done that.....ASAP!! (Jeffvette)

The pins and clips are on the bottom on my '96 also.

Perhaps the pads are on the wrong side and hence don't fit perefectly? Just an idea.

Jason
Old 06-16-2003, 03:59 PM
edsalinas
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor

......Only the 84-87 cars require an additional bracket ot mount the J55 brakes. In 88 you could get the J55's with the Z51 package........
There's something missing from this equation....... In '97 or '98, I mod'ed my'92 to the GS/ZR1 front set up, and I had to have adapter plates to complete the job. They were difficult to find and expensive. Now I think the General may have designed (perhaps by accident) an f-body hanger bkt that also happens to elliminate the need 4 adapter plates in later C4 J55 upgrades.
The only person that comes close to confirming this is Chri May @ Superior.

Feel free to chim in and prove me wrong, anyone.

Get notified of new replies

To GS upgrade "problem"......please help if been here done that.....ASAP!!

Old 06-16-2003, 04:50 PM
kittmaster
Race Director

I did the work.........problem is found and solved........The brackets were mixed up and I ended up puttin the spring retainers at the top of the caliper and they belong on the bottom.......tested and problem is eliminated

I found this out first by calling Jeff Kopp directly and he told me exactly what I did wrong.

John I am just reading this at 4:06 PM my time, you answer is correct the clips belong at the bottom and I had them at the top by reversing the brackets by accident. All of this mess is done by my own hand and lack of knowledge of the corvette brake setup. Lesson is learned, I'll never forget it and its a good troubleshooting skill enhancer. Jeff even admitted that the blow up pictures suck, so I don't feel like a complete moron.

THANK YOU EVERYONE who responded, I hope my faulter helps others who are in a position for the upgrade........was worth the time and effort......... :yesnod:

I tell all my students when all else fails set it up right...... :D .........takiing my own advise...... :lol: .....I'm just glad I nailed it, caravan is approaching quickly and now have piece of mind for the root cause........

Thanks again all.......this is truly a great place for this info...... :yesnod:

Kitt

[Modified by kittmaster, 4:58 PM 6/16/2003]
Old 06-16-2003, 04:55 PM
edsalinas
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

I love happy endings.............

:thumbs:
Old 06-16-2003, 05:09 PM
edsalinas
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor

......Only the 84-87 cars require an additional bracket ot mount the J55 brakes. In 88 you could get the J55's with the Z51 package........

There's something missing from this equation....... In '97 or '98, I mod'ed my'92 to the GS/ZR1 front set up, and I had to have adapter plates to complete the job. They were difficult to find and expensive. Now I think the General may have designed (perhaps by accident) an f-body hanger bkt that also happens to elliminate the need 4 adapter plates in later C4 J55 upgrades.
The only person that comes close to confirming this is Chri May @ Superior.

Feel free to chim in and prove me wrong, anyone.
Well I was mistaken, my friend (the ZR1 owner) just cleared it up. It was a ZR1 bkt that we had to find for my '92. Just the one piece, no adapter.

:banghead:

Quick Reply: GS upgrade "problem"......please help if been here done that.....ASAP!!