C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

HELP, question on A/C repair.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 12:36 PM
HG
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default HELP, question on A/C repair.

First hot day of the season, and the A/C on my 88 won’t work. Found the clutch is bad. Now the problem. The shaft into the compressor turns as it should after the clutch is pulled off. Could the compressor be a problem after running for a while and this is what took out the clutch. Or is the clutch bad. New compressor with clutch is $425 and the clutch alone is $180. So if I just have the clutch replaced and it was the compressor that took out the clutch , I’m out $180. Or if it is only the clutch and I decided just to change that, I’ll save $245. Just changing the clutch, does that loose the refrigerant charge. If so, I guess I’ll change to R134. Any ideas or suggestions .
Old 06-16-2003, 01:42 PM
Wheelman
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: HELP, question on A/C repair. (HG)

How did you determine the clutch is bad?? I think mine might be but I don't know how to check this. What symptoms does a bad clutch have :crazy:
Old 06-16-2003, 07:17 PM
HG
Melting Slicks

When you set the A/C, you can hear the clutch click in. It starts to turn and just stops. The outer part of the clutch gets very hot. It does not loose the 12 v circuit to the compressor.
Old 06-16-2003, 10:44 PM
RichardJ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the info you gave, it's hard to determine if the compressor is bad. If the clutch is still engaged and it stops turning, then either the cluch bearing locked up or the compressor locked up. If you determine that it is the clutch bearing, you can pick one up for about $20. The book will tell you how to replace it. My local auto parts store had one on the shelf. Don't worry about the clutch faces being scoured. The only thing that's important is that you don't bend or warp anything when you take it apart and that you set the gap.

Chances are the compressor locked up. Mine did. I got one from a Camaro at the Pick a part $15, used my clutch with a new bearing and changed over to R134. Pretty much followed the info in tech tips and its been in continuous use since Sept

[Modified by RichardJ, 10:11 PM 6/16/2003]
Old 06-17-2003, 12:20 AM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

If the shaft turns freely, it's probably ok. Your '88 uses a Nippendenso Compressor, and you won't find a used one on a Camaro (try Lexus, Porsche or Infiniti instead - though you'll probably have to swap out the cover and even then it might not work). Your clutch maybe bad, but a bearing will usually make noise. Was it noisy? If not, coil could have shorted. Or the surface wear was such the the air gap between the plate & the pulley had gotten way out of specs. GM new ain't cheap. Discount auto parts stores generally carry the Factory Air & Murray brands which are about 50 bucks less, but their reputation isn't the best and the face plate is different than GM. Trust you checked pressures before you pulled the clutch. Should have been above 50psi with engine off. If so, there would have been at least enough gas for the compressor to start.
Old 06-17-2003, 11:50 AM
HG
Melting Slicks

Default Re: HELP, question on A/C repair. (SunCr)

It's the original compressor and the bearing is not the problem. It's the clutch which may have gone due to the compressor. So, given it's age, I'm going to replace the compressor,dryer, and convert to 134. Thanks for the responce. HG

Get notified of new replies

To HELP, question on A/C repair.

Quick Reply: HELP, question on A/C repair.