C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

A/C blower works MUCH better now...after cleaning out evaporator.

Old 06-16-2003, 06:48 PM
Greg's '88
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C blower works MUCH better now...after cleaning out evaporator.

This is a follow up to my original post a few weeks ago about the weak A/C blower in my '88 coupe (176,000 miles).
My father and I finished the job this Saturday. (We took our time opening it up during the previous weekend plus we had to deal with the welded nut snapping off.) The evaporator was 95% covered with a thin layer of crud. My wife carefully and patiently removed most of it using tweezers. Then I used brake cleaner and a blast of compressed air.
Now, when the fan is set to "10" (high) on the electronic climate control, there is a MUCH higher flow of cold air coming out of the dash vents.
Again, thanks to this forum, I found the motivation to dive into this project. If you haven't done it yet, it is well worth it...especially if you live in southern California.
Take care,
Greg S. / Canyon Lake, CA
Old 06-16-2003, 10:53 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: A/C blower works MUCH better now...after cleaning out evaporator. (Greg's '88)

Cool !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We all need more cool air. It's on my list somewhere!!
Maybe this week. :cool: :cheers:
Old 06-16-2003, 10:57 PM
CoolVette86
Race Director

Location: Partying with the Cowboys cheerleaders in Mt. Olive, New Jersey
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: A/C blower works MUCH better now...after cleaning out evaporator. (Greg's '88)

Greg, how much time would it take to do this? I have a couple hours to kill on Saturday so this maybe a good project. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2003, 12:06 AM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Usually the crud is what's left of the foam filter that was glued to the intake side at the factory. The foam deteriorates - most of the time because the evaporator is leaking and a/c oil destroys it - plugging up the evaporator. Removing what's left is quite a chore. Not only do you have a gooey mess, but dust & dirt has gotten stuck to the remaining glue and nothing short of lacquer thinner will get it off. Hopefully yours just crapped out due to its age and I'm glad to hear it's working better again.

Get notified of new replies

To A/C blower works MUCH better now...after cleaning out evaporator.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A/C blower works MUCH better now...after cleaning out evaporator.