C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Replace LT1 front crankshaft seal without removing the pan???

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 11:01 PM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Replace LT1 front crankshaft seal without removing the pan???

How many have replaced the LT1 front cover crankshaft seal without removing the pan and front cover?

Easy or hard?

Tom Piper

Old 06-16-2003, 11:38 PM
PurpleC4
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Currently Corvette-less

Default Re: Replace LT1 front crankshaft seal without removing the pan??? (Tom Piper)

Tom,
It is a piece of cake. I did it ~ and one of my friends here in AZ did it this weekend. No problem at all. I do recommend that you consider a 'Speedy Sleeve' over the hub snout ~ if it has enough wear to feel with your fingernail.
~ Purp

By the way Tom ~ buy your self a seal removal tool from NAPA...... it rolls the old seal right out. :thumbs:
Old 06-17-2003, 01:06 AM
DroptopMan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Replace LT1 front crankshaft seal without removing the pan??? (PurpleC4)

I borrowed his seal remover and it was great! :cheers:
Old 06-17-2003, 07:26 AM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

Default Re: Replace LT1 front crankshaft seal without removing the pan??? (PurpleC4)

Tom,
It is a piece of cake. I did it ~ and one of my friends here in AZ did it this weekend. No problem at all. I do recommend that you consider a 'Speedy Sleeve' over the hub snout ~ if it has enough wear to feel with your fingernail.
~ Purp

By the way Tom ~ buy your self a seal removal tool from NAPA...... it rolls the old seal right out. :thumbs:
Purp

I already have the Speedi-Sleeve -- it's made of stainless steel.

I need to look into the seal removal tool.

I pulled the hub last night with the Kent Moore SPX LT1 hub remover/installer tool -- this tool makes that simple in that confined area. You don't have to raise the engine or remove power steering rack tubing like the shop manual says.

Thanks

Tom Piper
Old 06-17-2003, 07:56 AM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

Default Re: Replace LT1 front crankshaft seal without removing the pan??? (Tom Piper)

I don't usually rant about things, but everytime I look at the LT1 "keyless" hub and the Opti-Spark I think of one thing -- what were the engineers at GM smoking when they designed these two items. These two items are the worst engineering fiascos I have ever seen.

The keyless hub would never have been appropriate.

The Opti-Spark would have been a good solution in 1980, but not in 1992. In 1992 the technology for distributorless ignition systems had been around for sometime -- and, GM had used it in some models.

I hope GM fired the engineers, and management two levels up for this.
Saving money on these items doesn't justify this.
And, when you consider that they used this from 1992 through 1996 and knew about the problem in 1992 (they had a recall on the early 1992 Opti-Spark), GM management should hang their head in shame.

Tom Piper

[Modified by Tom Piper, 7:59 AM 6/17/2003]
Old 06-17-2003, 10:05 AM
ittlfly
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Tom...I looked for Kent Moore's website...no luck....where can I find the hub remove / install and water pump seal install tools ??
Old 06-17-2003, 10:20 AM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Replace LT1 front crankshaft seal without removing the pan??? (ittlfly)

Tom...I looked for Kent Moore's website...no luck....where can I find the hub remove / install and water pump seal install tools ??
kent-moore.spx.com/

[Modified by Strick, 10:21 AM 6/17/2003]
Old 06-17-2003, 10:22 AM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

Default Re: Replace LT1 front crankshaft seal without removing the pan??? (ittlfly)

Get the toll free number from this site and call them: http://kent-moore.spx.com/

The LT1 hub remover/installer is about $194 and the water pump seal protector is about $15. The seal protector is plastic and looks like a short piece of pipe with a cone on the end.

Tom Piper

[Modified by Tom Piper, 10:24 AM 6/17/2003]
Old 06-17-2003, 12:30 PM
ittlfly
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the info guys. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Replace LT1 front crankshaft seal without removing the pan???

Quick Reply: Replace LT1 front crankshaft seal without removing the pan???