C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Castrol Lubricant for ZF6 Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 03:30 PM
LT4BUD
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Castrol Lubricant for ZF6 Transmission

I emailed Castrol requesting their recomendation for my 1996 6-speed transmission.

Their reply was that unfortunately they did not have a suitable product for this application.

Can anyone explain this response when I see over & over that Castrol TWS 10W60 is probably the best fluid to use???
Old 06-17-2003, 03:35 PM
rocketfinger
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Castrol Lubricant for ZF6 Transmission (LT4BUD)

Can anyone explain this response when I see over & over that Castrol TWS 10W60 is probably the best fluid to use???
Where are you seeing this, in posts on this forum? Just curious, I've never heard a recommendation for that particular stuff.
Old 06-17-2003, 03:44 PM
LT4BUD
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Castrol Lubricant for ZF6 Transmission (rocketfinger)

Look at post "Fluid for the ZF 6-speed" in this Forum by LEADFOOT on 5/3/03.

OOPS, do search under topic creator LEADFOOT_

Don't forget the underscore at the end.

[Modified by LT4BUD, 2:50 PM 6/17/2003]

[Modified by LT4BUD, 2:51 PM 6/17/2003]
Old 06-17-2003, 03:51 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Castrol Lubricant for ZF6 Transmission (LT4BUD)

http://www.fzdoc.com BMW part number 07510009420 it's engine oil for the M5, and it's not cheap either. 2 bottles should cover you for a complete fill.

"(Q.) I just bought, at the local BMW dealership, 3 liters of the Castrol TWS 10W60 oil. I was surprised to see that it is motor oil. Not being a lubrication engineer myself, who did the investigation and determination that this product is compatible with and good for our ZF transmissions? Jim – Grand Sport Registry

(A.) Jim, the C4 Corvette ZF S6-40 6-speed transmission uses engine oil for lubrication. I was told by Jeff Henning, Warranty Administrator of ZF Industries North America, that Engineering of ZF Industries in Germany determined that the BMW imported Castrol (RS superceded by TWS) 10W-60 oil was the recommended alternative to the (GM P/N 1052931) factory-fill oil for use in the ZF S6-40 transmission. In effort to verify ZF Industries alternative lubricant recommendation, we ran our own test series on the BMW imported Castrol TWS 10W-60 oil. Independent testing of the transmission oil samples was sub-contracted out to CTC Analytical Services. The test series went as follows:
<1> Spectrographic analysis indicated that it is has full synthetic composition.
<2> After 2 hours of operation, approximately 100 miles, oil sample analysis tests indicated that the viscosity rating was reduced from 60 down to a 43 level. No need to worry, this is a normal occurrence for this heavier type of oil. I attribute this to microscopic-level lubricant-strand trimming through operational loading where all of the oil contents has been passed through gear pressure-loading regions at least a few times.
<3> At 200 miles, the viscosity level stabilized at a 42 level viscosity since the 100 mile oil analysis test results.
<4> At 5000 miles, the oil analysis test results indicated a 40 level viscosity.
The test-transmission was completely disassembled and checked for wear. There were no signs of carbon film like experienced with the factory-fill oil. The phosphor-bronze lined synchronizers had no glazing and experienced an average mass loss of approximately 4% based on reserve-wear-range mass equivalency between 0.062"(new) and 0.048"(spent)
gap wear/mass measurements.
<5> At 10,000 miles, the oil analysis test results indicated a 39 level viscosity.
<6> At 12,500 miles, the oil analysis test results indicated a 37 level viscosity.
<7> At 15,000 miles, the oil analysis test results indicated a 34 level viscosity.
The test-transmission was again completely disassembled and checked for wear. There were no signs of carbon film like experienced with the factory-fill 30 oil. The phosphor-bronze lined synchronizers had no glazing and experienced an average mass loss of approximately 17% based on reserve-wear-range mass equivalency between 0.062"(new) and 0.048"(spent) gap wear/mass measurements.
<8> At 15,000 miles the oil had enough phosphor-bronze particles suspended
in it that deposits began building up inside of the synchronizer sliding
sleeves from the normal centrifuge-like rotational occurrence.
In Conclusion, until someone invents a copper magnet, we recommend that the ZF S6-40 6-speed transmission oil be changed at 10,000 - 12,000 mile intervals so as to minimize the amount of deposits of the suspended spent synchronizer material from collecting in critical component contact surface areas. "

Get notified of new replies

To Castrol Lubricant for ZF6 Transmission

Quick Reply: Castrol Lubricant for ZF6 Transmission