C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

If you're not a tuner yourself, good to have fuel pressure regulator?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 04:56 PM
BowTieBlood
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default If you're not a tuner yourself, good to have fuel pressure regulator?

See title....was looking at fuel pumps / pressure regulators....if I get a new pump do I need to fork over the extra money for the regulator or is that just for people who know what they're doing to play with? It'll be a supercharged car eventually, but I don't plan on messing with it after easy bolt-on stuff, have a shop do the rest, so if they are tuning it or what not, do I need one even?
Old 06-17-2003, 05:26 PM
XTwinTurbo
Pro

Default Re: If you're not a tuner yourself, good to have fuel pressure regulator? (BowTieBlood)

Depends on the year of Vette!

Newer Vettes (LT1 motors but don't quote me) have an ECU that maps fuel requirements and adjust for pressure on a BLM map. So if you increase (decrease) fuel pressure the car will change the fuel flow but the ECU will eventually adjust for the change in flow, neutralizing any adjustment you made. This means that a FPR will not make a difference on a newer Vette in the long run.

Of course, for a short time (before the ECU remaps) the car will run differently. The other situation is if you add (or subtract) substantial amounts of fuel where you have exceeded the ECU ability to compensate, the car will also run differently.

Overall, a FPR is not much use on a newer Vette. I believe the older Vettes (L98) don't do this and will benifit from a FPR.

Someone correct me on the years of Vettes this function impacts?
Old 06-17-2003, 05:28 PM
XTwinTurbo
Pro

Default Re: If you're not a tuner yourself, good to have fuel pressure regulator? (BowTieBlood)

For a simple answer. Don't worry about a FPR with an aftermarket pump. Your stock one should handle the duties until you supercharge. Most supercharger kits come with a FMU (fuel management unit) but you will want to do some other upgrades to the fuel system once you get there.

Get notified of new replies

To If you're not a tuner yourself, good to have fuel pressure regulator?

Quick Reply: If you're not a tuner yourself, good to have fuel pressure regulator?