C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

California smog Nazis

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2003, 12:00 AM
ciscokid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: California smog ***** (LuvMyVette)

I hear you brother. It does not make much since does it? Hopefully Pennsylvania creates the automobile laws with fairness and common since.
Thanks for your reply.
Old 07-04-2003, 12:06 AM
ciscokid
Instructor

Default Re: California smog ***** (gab)

Hey Gab,
I don't think California would ever require OEM equipment be the only equipment allowed. They stand to lose too much money. Do you know how much it cost for a manufacture to obtain an E.O. number from the CARB?
It is in the thousands of dollars. The California government isn't that all concerned about emissions like they tout. Don't be fooled. This state is all about money and even more so now that Davis has mismanged the states surplus fund that we started out with when he first became governer.
Put your fears to rest.
Thanks for your reply.
Old 07-04-2003, 01:02 AM
DougSilver
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: California smog ***** (LuvMyVette)

What really pissed me off about the whole emissions testing when I lived in San Diego was the fact that I had to jump through all the hoops to pass the test only to see cars drive across the border from Mexico dumping out more pollution than 20 cars put together. :cuss :cuss :cuss
Yeah--not only dumping out more pollution but also probably dumping out more illegal aliens (oops--not politically correct).
Old 07-04-2003, 10:34 AM
Midwest Vette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: California smog ***** (ciscokid)

Cisco,
I feel you're pain ! I was born & raised in So. Cal. left in 1992 due to a job transfer. The emissions laws are a big joke. You are right, It is all about the money. The state could care less about clean air.
Good luck.....Ron :banghead:
Old 07-04-2003, 12:11 PM
Jer
Advanced

Default Re: California smog ***** (Ron 93 Vette)

Minnesota got rid of the smog inspection requirements a few years back after a study concluded it was a waste of tax payers' money.

I was concerned when I moved to California as I had never had a smog test before and my '85 had 110k on the stock converter. I always heard stories how strict it was here. I took it to the local corner gas station. The car passed by a large margin.

I purchased a '92 Mustang 5.0 out here. The previous owner had it smogged the day before I bought and the car passed by a large margin. Later I looked under the car and it had the back two cats removed! The car passed with just the pre cats.

Upon conversing with local car enthusiasts, it has become evident there are a lot of inspectors who either don't care about the visual as long as it passes smog, or will accept bribes. One person I spoke to with an extremely modified Supra paid an inspector who put the sniffer in a VW Rabbit tail pipe while he hooked the wires to the Supra! I spoke to another guy with a hybrid BWM who told me there was even a going rate! I recall reading about similar instances in Florida where smog inspection laws basically lead to payoffs, etc.

Think about how much headache and tax payers' resources would be saved if California got rid of inspections like Minnesota did. Personally, I can't see every soccer mom in the state going out and cutting out all the emissions devices off their minivans.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:12 AM
TIMSPEED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: California smog ***** (Jer)

Ciscokid,
I suggest you register your vette in a county that doesn't require smogging your car every 2 years (as many of us here on the forum have done.)

Quick Reply: California smog Nazis