C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

(tunercat) "vats select" and "crank air select"

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 06:37 PM
VenkmanP
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default (tunercat) "vats select" and "crank air select"

Just started playing with tunercat. I'm wondering why "vats select" and "crank air select" are unchecked on my car.

These would have both been enabled from the factory, yes?

I searched the forum and it's not clear if "vats select" disables the vats system, or maybe just a warning light about the vats system. Anybody know?

Is there any way to verify that vats is working other than having a key made without the resistor?

Why would someone disable crank_air? Air pump went bad?
Old 07-12-2003, 09:02 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Default Re: (tunercat) "vats select" and "crank air select" (steve9899)

The VATS Select is probably just a warning light.

On the later 94 models a computer calibration update enabled the air pump during the engine cranking. With you using the $eeB calibration file for your car, your Vette is probably an earlier 94, before the updated calibration.
Old 07-12-2003, 09:05 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Default Re: (tunercat) "vats select" and "crank air select" (STL94LT1)

You can check for any computer updates at this site.

calid.gm.com/vci/
Old 07-12-2003, 09:59 PM
VenkmanP
Safety Car

When I enable "vats select" the car won't run. I remembered seeing a receipt for a new lock cylinder and keys from 6 months ago, shortly before I bought it. I'm guessing vats got disabled around that time. I'm going to try reprogramming vats in case there's a key mismatch. If that doesn't work I'll take it to the dealer who changed the cylinder and ask what's up.

Enabling "crank air select" didn't cause any problems. Don't know if it did any good either...

I've looked at http://calid.gm.com/vci/html/getVCI.html a couple of times before and I don't know what to do with the information there. Is there some way to get hold of the latest calibration? Also I'm not sure how to tell which revision I have - is that 8-digit "Cal ID #" in the bin file somewhere?

Since it looked like your stock program was newer revision than mine, I changed the few settings that were different to match yours.

Would getting the latest calibration also update me to $EE instead of $EEb?

Thanks for all the help!

(Got another question but I'll start a new thread...)
Old 07-12-2003, 10:14 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

The bin file that I am using has all of the available updates, and the Vats is diabled on it.

Also, if you need a new stock file with all of the available updates with your VIN #. I have a friend that can get you one for a small fee. All you have to do is email him your VIN, and he will email you back a fresh file with your VIN on it.
Old 07-12-2003, 10:24 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Would getting the latest calibration also update me to $EE instead of $EEb?
I could be wrong, but I think the only differences between $ee and $eeb, is that $ee has provisions for changing the calibrations on the electronically controlled automatic transmission that the early 94 didn't have.
Old 07-12-2003, 11:13 PM
VenkmanP
Safety Car

$EEb has the tranny settings. The tables that are in the $EE that aren't in the $EEb are "Max knock retard vs RPM", "Max knock retard vs MAP", "IAC offset for A/C Anticipate vs. A/C pressure"

There's also a single setting in the constants table called "Knock retard enable coolant temp."

Old 07-21-2003, 07:56 AM
Atok
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My stock calibration has "VATS Select" turned off also. I'm 100% certain it came from the factory like this.

According to TunerCAT, the $EEb file is for older PCMs. Here's a cut from a recent Email I received from them:

--------------------------------
Please note that there are two versions of the $EE Definition File provided. The standard version (PCM_EE) is the one you will usually use. There is, however, an early version of the $EE calibration that GM used in early 1994 normally referred to as Rev B that is slightly different than the standard version. If you need to work with a Rev B calibration file, you'll need to use the second $EE Definition File (PCM_EEB).
Old 07-22-2003, 06:28 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: (tunercat) "vats select" and "crank air select" (Atok)

Don't select or rather I should say enable "VATS" if you do the car with start and die. The VATs system (vehicle anti-theft) is done through the CCM in our cars. The CCM is the master and the PCM is the slave computer.

Get notified of new replies

To (tunercat) "vats select" and "crank air select"

Quick Reply: (tunercat) "vats select" and "crank air select"