C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Anyone buy ZR1 wheel & tire combo. from O.E. Wheel Distributors/ Sarasota Fla.?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 12:06 PM
Cruz 86
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone buy ZR1 wheel & tire combo. from O.E. Wheel Distributors/ Sarasota Fla.?

They've been on e bay for a long time. Thinking of getting a set for my 86. How is the quality of the wheel? Any trouble getting them balanced right. How do you like the Falken tires that come with the wheels? Any Problems?
Old 07-31-2003, 06:27 PM
cshuman
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Anyone buy ZR1 wheel & tire combo. from O.E. Wheel Distributors/ Sarasota Fla.? (Cruz 86)

I saw them on Ebay as well. I think I am going to buy some wheels from them, but get my tires from tire rack and have them installed and balanced here. It looks like a good deal but I would like to know if anyone has a set, and how they like them.
Old 07-31-2003, 06:45 PM
ittlfly
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Anyone buy ZR1 wheel & tire combo. from O.E. Wheel Distributors/ Sarasota Fla.? (cshuman)

When I was looking for mine last year, I called these folks up. The guy on the other end of the phone acted like he couldn't care less if I bought from them or not. He said he might have a set of 17x11 "out in the warehouse". I asked if could check. He acted like it was a big impostion for him to look..so I told him to forget it and I'd buy my wheels somewhere else. And I did buy elsewhere. I thought that if I had a problem and had to warrantee the wheels I didn't want to have to deal with their attitude. :U
Old 08-01-2003, 12:38 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Anyone buy ZR1 wheel & tire combo. from O.E. Wheel Distributors/ Sarasota Fla.? (Cruz 86)

I bought from AFS Wheels in Canoga Park, CA. I was in CA on a visit, borrowed my sister's car and drove to the shop. My son and I spent a few hours looking over their stock of wheels and tires. They were running sales on different combinations, wheels and tires mounted and balanced. I wanted polished wheels with no clear coat (they just shine better, but you have to keep up with them). So, they sold me a set of 4 wheels (which I got a chance to inspect before I bought) and four Dunlop SP8000 with center caps and a set of chrome lug nuts. As far as balancing they use a Hunter GSP9700 which not only balances, but runs a bar that rotates on the tire simulating the road. If weights were required, the machine tells them to break the bead and rotate the tire on the wheel so less weights would be required. One of my wheels required breaking the bead and rotating and after, the wheel required one small weight. I was impressed. They boxed the wheels and shipped them to my home in SC. $1613. shipping included. This was in Oct of 2000 and the wheels and tires still look great and the ride is excellent. Their site http://www.AFSwheels.com I wonder if Tim and Shane still work there. :thumbs: :flag :flag :flag
Old 08-01-2003, 12:44 PM
Bluevette85
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Anyone buy ZR1 wheel & tire combo. from O.E. Wheel Distributors/ Sarasota Fla.? (Strick)

You can get the AFS wheels much cheaper on their eBay auctions. Mine are arriving next week :yesnod:
Old 08-01-2003, 12:48 PM
darkred91
Instructor

I baught a set of Zo6 Chrome wheels and Falken tires.. I have heard that the tires are bad in the rain, I cant say never been caught in the rain yet.. Wheels are very good very true good balance..
Old 08-01-2003, 12:52 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Anyone buy ZR1 wheel & tire combo. from O.E. Wheel Distributors/ Sarasota Fla.? (Bluevette85)

You can get the AFS wheels much cheaper on their eBay auctions. Mine are arriving next week :yesnod:
Do they offer wheel tire combos, balanced, lug nuts, center caps and chrome valve stems and shipped as part of their auctions? If they do, that would be the way to go.
Old 08-01-2003, 01:06 PM
88_vette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Anyone buy ZR1 wheel & tire combo. from O.E. Wheel Distributors/ Sarasota Fla.? (Strick)

I go tmy wheel s from this guy in fl. They are great and as far as i can tell they are the same make as the AFS "detroit wheels". That guy most likely spends all day doing that. He sells on ebay for a reason to limit his contact with cust.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:09 PM
Bluevette85
Drifting

Do they offer wheel tire combos, balanced, lug nuts, center caps and chrome valve stems and shipped as part of their auctions? If they do, that would be the way to go.
Sometimes AFS has tires with their auctions. They always include the center caps. When you go thru the checkout process, you can add tires with balancing and lugnuts. I got my tires from Tirerack.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:44 PM
Darkness
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Anyone buy ZR1 wheel & tire combo. from O.E. Wheel Distributors/ Sarasota Fla.? (Bluevette85)

:iagree:
Old 08-01-2003, 03:15 PM
FD2BLK
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I got the wheels without the tires for $590 and the wheels where good quality and no problems with balancing
Old 08-01-2003, 08:27 PM
C4kid94
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anyone buy ZR1 wheel & tire combo. from O.E. Wheel Distributors/ Sarasota Fla.? (ejfagala)

I just bought C5 rims from there. I live in sarasota so i went there to pick

them up, I talked to the owner and everything, They do over 1.2 million

dollars a month in business so if u tell them ur going to buy from someone

else the only person your hurting is yourself. The rims I got are exelent to

problems at all, and lug nuts, locking lugs, valve stems and chromies cost

46$ extra.
Old 08-01-2003, 10:16 PM
Bluevette85
Drifting

Default Re: Anyone buy ZR1 wheel & tire combo. from O.E. Wheel Distributors/ Sarasota Fla.? (C4kid94)

They do over 1.2 million dollars a month in business so if u tell them ur going to buy from someone else the only person your hurting is yourself.
I'm glad I hurt myself then :D

Silver 9.5 rims from O.E. = $490, AFS = $365. These are eBay prices.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone buy ZR1 wheel & tire combo. from O.E. Wheel Distributors/ Sarasota Fla.?

Quick Reply: Anyone buy ZR1 wheel & tire combo. from O.E. Wheel Distributors/ Sarasota Fla.?