C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

VATS car didn't start...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 01:01 PM
TheStef
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VATS car didn't start...

Hey guys,

I know a lot of you are having problems with the car not stating because of problem with the VATS.

this happened to me two days ago after work... but! it was rainning and I nodiced that the key got some water on it.

Anyways, after reading lots of stuff about it on the forrum I knew I had to wait at least 6 min before trying again... so I dryed my key with my shirt and by blowing some air on it... 6 min later my car turned on no problem.

if it woudln't of been for this place and learning this... I would or probably would of called a tow truck

:)
Old 08-12-2003, 07:55 AM
Rich B.
Melting Slicks

Default Re: VATS car didn't start... (TheStef)

... but! it was rainning and I nodiced that the key got some water on it.
...You were driving in the rain???... :eek:

...Oh...You must have a coupe... :crazy:
Old 08-13-2003, 02:53 PM
TheStef
Burning Brakes

no.. I have a convetible... and NO the top wasn't down.

It was rainning hard outside, I pulled the keys out of my pockets to unlock the door and water got on them.

Hope this makes more sence

:)
Old 08-13-2003, 08:13 PM
CENTURION
Instructor

Just wait it'll hit you again, mine's been by-passed once and it still doesn't start. Did you get a whole new ignition without that stupid "no-start" pellet key? These C-4's have got to be the worst car for this type of problem.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:06 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: VATS car didn't start... (CENTURION)

99% of cars are stolen by bashing the column and jumping the ignition switch. VATS prevents these attempts. Nothing on your car works forever!!! If you keep your car in good repair it will start very reliably. I have been driving my 87 vette everyday since 1989 and after several years it wouldn't start, had to wait 4 minutes and one day it wouldn't start at all. I immediately did some troubleshooting and determined that my ignition switch contacts that make with the pellet was worn and I had a new switch installed. It has started every time since then. Instead of playing with your car until it starts and then continuing using it without fixing the VATS problem only to get stranded somewhere again, find out what the problem is and FIX it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you want a reliable car, you have to maintain it.
Old 08-14-2003, 01:28 AM
K87ZZ4
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: VATS car didn't start... (jfb)

:withstupid:

... it wouldn't start, had to wait ... and one day it wouldn't start at all... I had a new switch installed.
I had a similar experience with my 86... had "optional"starting for a while, but never had a problem after the ignition key cylinder was replaced.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:17 AM
4GTABODT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Mississauga, Ontario Corvettes were built to be driven...not trailered
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Stef, another common problem is the computer chip in your key wears down and doesn't make sufficient contact....but keep in mind that you can't just any key shop to cut you a new one. The C4 key has one of 15 resistence settings so who ever cuts a key for you has to have the proper tool to measure that...most GM dealers have one. I bought a new key a year ago and haven't had the problem since. ANother "quick" fix is to discconect your battery for about 60 seconds...that clears the computer so it forgets you had a no start situation...good luck :cheers:
Old 08-14-2003, 10:21 AM
TheStef
Burning Brakes

Default Re: VATS car didn't start... (Quik86)

Thanks for the tip about disconneting the battery .. cool! I didn't think of that.

My key is also about 1 year old :)

Old 08-18-2003, 11:45 AM
Derf
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This forum is GREAT. I have been having the same problem. Never knew if you let it sit for 6 minutes it would start again. This has been driving me. I thought it was a flat spot on the starter or something like that. She would not start this morning, and after reading this I went out with my spare key, and she fired up. Now whether it was the time delay or the spare key, I don't know. Hopefully a new key will solve this VATS thing. If not, then what? Thanks all. :cheers:
Old 08-26-2003, 02:36 PM
Billz89
Racer

Default Re: VATS car didn't start... (jfb)

... I had a new switch installed. It has started every time since ...
I just had my vette towed to a shop to have the starter replaced, only to find out it wasn't the starter. I didn't believe the problem was VATS related as everything turned on... just no voltage to the starter unit. After speaking with a lock smith and a Chevy engineer, I ordered a new tumbler/wiring/keys unit but the garage that has the car can't install it. I had it towed, again, to the chevy dealership and the service dept. has the vette running again. Yeah! Maybe, just maybe, I can get the oil and transmission leaks fixed next. :banghead: Hopefully I'll see some of you at the Corvette Museum this weekend.

Bill

[Modified by Billz89, 2:13 PM 8/27/2003]
Old 05-08-2018, 02:11 PM
C4conv89
7th Gear

Default Bad key?

I have an issue getting stranded once and a while. Car won,t start no power my security light does not flash or stay on so is my key being read correctly? Took key to the chevy dealer they tested it stated intrtmmitant reads should this fix my issue or do you think it could still be the vats system locking my out. come back later starts.
Originally Posted by 4GTABODT
Stef, another common problem is the computer chip in your key wears down and doesn't make sufficient contact....but keep in mind that you can't just any key shop to cut you a new one. The C4 key has one of 15 resistence settings so who ever cuts a key for you has to have the proper tool to measure that...most GM dealers have one. I bought a new key a year ago and haven't had the problem since. ANother "quick" fix is to discconect your battery for about 60 seconds...that clears the computer so it forgets you had a no start situation...good luck
Old 05-08-2018, 07:58 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

If you want to test it out, here's a relatively quick way. I believe the resistor is active as soon as its put into the cylinder. There's a wire that comes out of the bottom of the column and IIRC one is orange. I'd unhook the battery and the connector that's about 12" or so from the bottom of the column. Check the contacts in the connector with an ohm meter and see if it's reading the key. Not sure if it's on insertion or when you turn the key so might have to check it both ways.

If you're having problems yet, there are dongles with a resistor that matches the one on the key. It plugs into the other side of the connector to where the wire goes under the dash. Use a dongle and you no longer need a resistor on the key as the dongle provides the value to the VATS system.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:34 PM
vettespecial
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jfb
99% of cars are stolen by bashing the column and jumping the ignition switch. VATS prevents these attempts. Nothing on your car works forever!!! If you keep your car in good repair it will start very reliably. I have been driving my 87 vette everyday since 1989 and after several years it wouldn't start, had to wait 4 minutes and one day it wouldn't start at all. I immediately did some troubleshooting and determined that my ignition switch contacts that make with the pellet was worn and I had a new switch installed. It has started every time since then. Instead of playing with your car until it starts and then continuing using it without fixing the VATS problem only to get stranded somewhere again, find out what the problem is and FIX it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you want a reliable car, you have to maintain it.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:41 AM
number3
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

where can the dongles be purchased ?
Old 03-25-2019, 09:46 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by number3
Check places like Ecklers or Corvette Central. Here's an example: https://www.ecklerscorvette.com/cata...q=vats&x=0&y=0
This is for an 86 so search on your year to insure you get the right one for your situation.

You do need to know the value of the key you have to get the right dongle. You can find the wires coming out of the bottom of the steering column (2 wires to a connector and one is orange IIRC),. there's a connector around 12" from the bottom of the column. Disconnect the connector junction and plug the dongle onto the wire going up into the dash and leave the part coming from the column unhooked and that part of the Vats bypass is complete. It does not take out all of the vats system, only the part that requires the need for the resistor on the key which is now supplied by the dongle.

Last edited by hcbph; 03-25-2019 at 09:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
number3 (03-25-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 10:16 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by number3
Do you have a problem to solve? Many have blamed VATS for everything including a rainy day but are there that many honest VATS problems compared to the imagined problems?
Old 03-26-2019, 06:07 AM
number3
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

no , i was just curious who carried those parts if needed , but thank you for asking

Get notified of new replies

To VATS car didn't start...

Quick Reply: VATS car didn't start...