C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Electric water pump supplier?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 09:57 PM
Survivor40th
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Electric water pump supplier?

I have read with great interest the posts on the Meziere pump. Who sells them and what is the cost?
Old 08-16-2003, 10:04 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Default Re: Electric water pump supplier? (Survivor40th)

thunderracing.com

[Modified by STL94LT1, 9:06 PM 8/16/2003]
Old 08-17-2003, 12:00 AM
fixit
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious about the interest in these. Their specification says the pump is good for only 2400 hours. Depending on how much you drive that could be reached within a few years. At my rate it's about 3 years. I know it is a relief knowing it won't leak onto to the Optispark, but aside from that I can't see having to change (fork out $$$) every three years when the factory should last 75,000mi. Additionally, it can't match the flow rate (at speed) of the factory mechanical pump. However, it does exceed the factory pump at idle and at low speeds.

[Modified by fixit, 6:45 AM 8/18/2003]
Old 08-17-2003, 12:31 AM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Default Re: Electric water pump supplier? (fixit)

My factory waterpump only lasted 12,000 miles.
Old 08-17-2003, 03:09 AM
Ramrod92
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

If you average 25mph that 60,000 miles and when you have to change it, you're only looking at a few minutes worth of labor. Plus it will'nt puke on your opti. :steering:
Old 08-17-2003, 04:01 AM
fixit
Instructor

Default Re: Electric water pump supplier? (Ramrod92)

Actually, I am interested, but how etablished is the manufacturer? Will they be there in 4 years when I need a rebuild? Bummer it's not a simple bolt on, you have to remove the timing cover/oil pan and plug the former water pump drive shaft hole. Maybe we should buy 2 or 3 units and hope for the best.

[Modified by fixit, 9:09 AM 8/17/2003]
Old 08-17-2003, 09:48 AM
Sharky Guam
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been running Mezeire water pumps in some of my hot rods and most of my race cars for a long time now and never have had a failure yet. One of my cars has exceeded the advertised life expectancy by double. And it still appears to have many hours of life left in it. The quality is tops and the price is very affordable for an item of this high quality.

Old 08-17-2003, 09:56 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just curious about the interest in these. They're specification says the pump is good for only 2400 hours. Depending on how much you drive that could be reached within a few years. At my rate it's about 3 years. I know it is a relief knowing it won't leak onto to the Optispark, but aside from that I can't see having to change (fork out $$$) every three years when the factory should last 75,000mi. Additionally, it can't match the flow rate (at speed) of the factory mechanical pump. However, it does exceed the factory pump at idle and at low speeds.
As somebody else mentioned do the math and that 2400 hours actually sounds pretty good. Assume you only manage to average 30 mph for that whole time you are using the pump and it's a 72000 mile pump.

The pump flow full flow at idle and sufficient flow up top, it doesn't cost horsepower and as it has been said is very easy to replace and won't puke on your opti. They also allow you to use whatever timing chain you want instead of the cheap (read overpriced) stocker.

I'm couldn't be happier with mine. I can kick on my fans and turn the pump on and cool down at the track 10 times faster than with the stocker. I can bleed my cooling system with the engine cold. I can flush my cooling system with the water pump running, etc, etc.

They aren't for everybody but they do have some very nice benefits.

BTW, I got mine from racenet.net

Oh, and I bought my Mezierre pump 2 years ago, they're still alive and kicking. The pump shows no sign of failing. Mezierre is probably the most respected name in electric water pumps, they're gonna be around.

[Modified by Nathan Plemons, 8:57 AM 8/17/2003]
Old 08-17-2003, 01:49 PM
Raheel
Advanced

How do Meziere electric water pumps compare with CSI electric water pumps? CSI pump costs a lot less and flows 37 gpm versus 35 gpm of Meziere.

How long does it take to replace? How easy? Are there any instructions available?
Old 08-17-2003, 01:57 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Default Re: Electric water pump supplier? (Raheel)

Get the heavy duty Meziere, it is rated at 50 gpm.
Old 08-17-2003, 06:37 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I have read with great interest the posts on the Meziere pump. Who sells them and what is the cost?
The first thing you want to ask yourself is how long do you plan on keeping your Vette? If you are like me, it's going to be a long time, and installing an electric coolant pump makes sense. After the initial installation, replacing the pump is very easy. The benefits are well worth the effort. Where? I bought mine from Thunder Racing (the heavy duty one). Cost $200 plus change. It's an easy look up, just pull up Thunder Racing on the left column. BTW, see my article on how to install the Meziere pump in the Tech Tips.

I see this is your first post, WELCOME ABOARD :hurray:
Old 08-17-2003, 09:22 PM
Survivor40th
Advanced

Default Re: Electric water pump supplier? (Strick)

You are right about keeping the Vette. I bought a optioned out 40th Ruby Red coupe because I wanted something a little special that I could afford and keep. My first Corvette. It was my 60th birthday and retirement gift to myself. :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: I live in south Florida and just don't like a car running up in the 230's. My car has 107,000 on it and I think the electric pump will help longevity. Lot's of goooood info on this forum. :D :cheers:
Old 08-18-2003, 01:59 AM
fixit
Instructor

Yep, after the initial installation the pump replacement is breeze. That initial installation is the killer for a lot of us; no small undertaking to pull the timing cover and pan. While at it, might as well update the timing cover, chain and gears. A simple water pump change could cost over $1200!
They've got to come up with a new pump body that ignores the drive shaft, making unnecessary to overhaul the timing gear.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:24 AM
Ramrod92
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

If you go to the trouble of updating the front cover you can use a Cloyes double roller chain ($80), the later model vented opti (about $300), and used waterpump housing (less then $10 buck for shipping (thanks to fellow forum member Gordon94)). Besides not having to worry about the pump puking on the opti, you'll also have one less place to develop an oil leak in the front cover. :thumbs:
Old 08-18-2003, 11:52 AM
Strick
Race Director

Hey Survivor, There are a couple of other things to do when installing the Meziere pump. Take control of your fans. I have two switches that manually turn on the cooling fans. This is nice when cruising topless (with A/C off). Or you can reprogram your ECM to turn on the fans at a lower temp. I like switches. Like Ramrod said, It's also a great time for upgrading your timing chain system. I'm still on my first Vette (92) and it will probably be my last one as I really like it. One more piece of advice/warning, This forum will have you spending more time and money on your Vette than you think is possible. Warn your wife! Let us know when you start the project. :thumbs:
Old 08-18-2003, 01:35 PM
Survivor40th
Advanced

Default Re: Electric water pump supplier? (Ramrod92)

Which cover do I upgrade to? How do I contact Gorden94 for housing. Looks like I going to do the full monty. :rolleyes:
Old 08-18-2003, 01:45 PM
Survivor40th
Advanced

Have been a hotrodder all my life. :flag Gto's,Impala's and a wide assortment of Mopar's. Now I have the true American Hotrod and can't wait to start wrenching :D I've read your tech note on the pump install. Good stuff :hurray: Is there one on the fan switching? Got rid of the wife before I bought the Corvette. That was a really good month. :D :D :D
Old 08-18-2003, 03:22 PM
Strick
Race Director

Survivor, I didn't do an article on the fan switches. It seems that most guys would rather reprogram the ECM to have the fans come on at lower temps. Some guys put the 160 stat in along with the reprogramming; most popular way. Did anyone talk to you about your opti-spark? :flag :flag :flag
Old 08-18-2003, 05:15 PM
Ramrod92
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

Gordon had just installed a new pump and he sent me the old pump. To install the Miezer you just press out the guts of an old pump, plug the weep hole with the supplied brass plug, then install the electric unit in the housing. I had mine powdercoated to match my intake. I would suggest using a 95 front cover so you can use a vented opti. :steering:

Get notified of new replies

To Electric water pump supplier?

Quick Reply: Electric water pump supplier?