C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

IS IT POSSIBLE FOR A CROSSFIRE TO GET 350 HP??????????

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 11:06 PM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: IS IT POSSIBLE FOR A CROSSFIRE TO GET 350 HP?????????? (vettespd20)

Hey man, you gotta know what you want,,,,

350 FWHP or 350 RWHP?
Old 08-30-2003, 11:24 PM
vettespd20
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: IS IT POSSIBLE FOR A CROSSFIRE TO GET 350 HP?????????? (ld85)

I guess at the FLY WHEEL, see the main thing is i want to be in the mid 13's to low 13's with the rebuild. I dont want a race car but I want a dailer driven car that can bust some butt if needed. So with my rebuild ABOUT (JUST A GUESS) what do u guys think i would run just a guess I dont need a direct answer thanks
Old 08-30-2003, 11:27 PM
Alcee1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look man, your dealing with a small block, and thats just what it is a small block 350. Do your mods that you listed and if you feel unsure then study up on the engine first, theres books everywhere about small blocks. Your only issue is if your going to keep the CFI or go with Carb, TPI, whatever. The bottom end is still going to be a small block. Theres a bunch of heads to choose from, Cams and even a few manifolds. If you took a pole on the mods guys with small blocks have done you would get many different solutions. press on and don't fear. STICK YOUR CHEST OUT AND MAKE A DECISION. :thumbs:

[Modified by Alcee1, 5:27 AM 8/31/2003]
Old 08-31-2003, 12:08 AM
Lionsden
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

vettespd20
Spend time at this Dyno'd engine combos link.
http://www.ryanscarpage.50megs.com/combos1.html

Use it as a guide to build what ever long block you want.
Old 08-31-2003, 05:08 AM
ben73
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: IS IT POSSIBLE FOR A CROSSFIRE TO GET 350 HP?????????? (Dominic Sorresso)

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[IMG]Seven years of L98 TPI technology advances/improvements and the engine is up to a whooping 40 hp increase. Of course anyone wanting serious HP isn't going to be running TPI either.
[/IMG]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And I think Dan Plett has convincingly demonstrated that the Xfire induction system isn't necessarily the "bottleneck" to power that everyone assumes it is.
To your point offershore, today why use LT-1 power and not LS-1/LS-6. In a few months it'll be LS-2/LS-7 technology. Several years ago, you never heard of a Xfire running in the mid 13's. Today, there are several capable of doing it. The guys over at the Crossfire Forum deserve a good bit of credit for getting the word out and providing a place where people interested in building the Crossfire coud swap ideas and tips without being told it was a waste of time. Its been a great DIY project. If you like to tinker and tweak and enjoy the satisfaction of having done it on your own, then do it with the Xfire.

Listen to Dominic, he has played with Crossfires as much as anyone. Despite what you might read, there is nothing wrong with them. My 20yo stock bottom end 84 runs 13.7's @ 100mph all day long with only minor mods and plenty more to come. I know a 12 sec pass is not that far away and I will achieve it after an engine rebuild (stroker) early next year. But it definately a setup for the DIY croud, which is what makes it all more enjoyable for me. Wheres the satisfaction in picking up an Ecklers/Summit catalog and just bolting the bits together like hundreds of others before you, thats too easy. I know mine will never be the fastest vette on the road, but at least I did it myself and its different.. thats where the real satisfaction is....
No one likes being beaten by a crossfire, but that just makes it even more fun ;-)
Ben.
Old 08-31-2003, 12:01 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Default Re: IS IT POSSIBLE FOR A CROSSFIRE TO GET 350 HP?????????? (ben73)

Ben,

Well said. :iagree:
Old 08-31-2003, 12:11 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: IS IT POSSIBLE FOR A CROSSFIRE TO GET 350 HP?????????? (ben73)

HEAR!!! HEAR!!!
And I think Dan Plett has convincingly demonstrated that the Xfire induction system isn't necessarily the "bottleneck" to power that everyone assumes it is.

Listen to Dominic, he has played with Crossfires as much as anyone. Despite what you might read, there is nothing wrong with them. My 20yo stock bottom end 84 runs 13.7's @ 100mph all day long with only minor mods and plenty more to come. I know a 12 sec pass is not that far away and I will achieve it after an engine rebuild (stroker) early next year. But it definately a setup for the DIY croud, which is what makes it all more enjoyable for me. Wheres the satisfaction in picking up an Ecklers/Summit catalog and just bolting the bits together like hundreds of others before you, thats too easy. I know mine will never be the fastest vette on the road, but at least I did it myself and its different.. thats where the real satisfaction is....
No one likes being beaten by a crossfire, but that just makes it even more fun ;-)
Ben.
If everyone could do it, everyone would have done it.

RACE ON!!!
Old 08-31-2003, 12:28 PM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: IS IT POSSIBLE FOR A CROSSFIRE TO GET 350 HP?????????? (CFI-EFI)

Hey guys I cant find the 1984 article. But I know you get get a back issue from Vette or Corvette Fever, I cant remember which one had it, but, its on the cover.

The name of the article was "Grape ***** of Fire' about a purple 1984 vette. When it was done it had, if I'm not mistaken 400HP or so and he used the stock bottonm end with new heads etc. I thikn the guy was from Minnesota, this goes back to @ 1998 or so.
Old 08-31-2003, 01:52 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Default Re: IS IT POSSIBLE FOR A CROSSFIRE TO GET 350 HP?????????? (ld85)

You may be able to find that article in the Crossfire Forum archives. I remember it well. I also understand there may be another Xfire article out soon in one of the Corvette mags too. :chevy

Quick Reply: IS IT POSSIBLE FOR A CROSSFIRE TO GET 350 HP??????????