C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

85 targa bolt thread size

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 09:50 PM
prodjbm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 targa bolt thread size

I just bought my first vette and the bolts are missing for the targa top. I was wondering what the thread size was for these bolts and if something else can be used rather than the orginal bolts, they seem to sell for like 12 bucks a piece. Thanks in advance
Bill
Old 05-05-2011, 07:31 AM
Doggie Dawg
Advanced

Default 8MM x 1.25

Call Rosemont Tops.
YOu can buy them $3.00 Each but you have to buy a pack of 10.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:50 AM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by prodjbm
I just bought my first vette and the bolts are missing for the targa top. I was wondering what the thread size was for these bolts and if something else can be used rather than the orginal bolts, they seem to sell for like 12 bucks a piece. Thanks in advance
Bill
Go to the hardware store and buy a high grade 8 x 1.25
(bolt dia X thread size) allen or torx or 2 of each for theft prevention.
I use 2 different head types. Thats saved my top from being stolen at least twice. Thieves never come with a tool box...just the single tool they think they need. Allen, hex and or torx.

and keep 2 spares in the console with the appropiate tool(s). They need to be about 1-1.5" long. Taper seat if available but not essential.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:02 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by leesvet
Taper seat if available but not essential.
I disagree, the tapered shoulder on the bolt keeps everything centered even if they are a bit loose. Normal bolts will allow movement if they are loose and may even chafe the outside of the bolt hole when you tighten them down. That's JMO. Also, if you keep the appropriate tools in the console your theft deterent isn't working too well.

Last edited by Midnight 85; 05-05-2011 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:07 AM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight 85
I disagree, the tapered shoulder on the bolt keeps everything centered even if they are a bit loose. Normal bolts will allow movement if they are loose and may even chafe the outside of the bolt hole when you tighten them down. That's JMO. Also, if you keep the appropriate tools in the console your theft deterent isn't working too well.
There are many places where "common"arts can be used in a Corvette, this is not one of them. The price of these things are absolutely insane, perfect example of The Corvette Tax. If you elect to buy the 10 pack as mentioned above I'll buy two at $5.00 each shipped. Bet you could sell the other 6 in short order.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:24 PM
prodjbm
Intermediate

I was thinking the asme thing about finding some one who had pruchased the 10 pack and buying a couple from them.... anyone ????
Old 05-05-2011, 12:49 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Never seen a thief with ESP....that knew to search for a tool that he was not aware that he needed....

IN/OUT...quickly or they move on. When they get to that odd bolt, they walk away.

I did say to get the tapered seat...it is not essential IMO, since the top has its own taper fit joints that keep it snug in the chassis as long as whatever bolt you use, is tight. I have'nt had a regular allen head or torx back out yet...
Not a big deal.....
Old 05-05-2011, 04:25 PM
whitenow
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default I'd take a pair for $10...

Who wants to be the front on this?
Old 05-09-2011, 10:32 AM
Doggie Dawg
Advanced

Default UnReal !!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe what I am reading here. This Dude asked if anyone knows
were to get targa bolts for his top and all you can say is ..I wouldn't buy 10 bolts at $3.00 each.....You better buy a pack of 10 if you plan to keep your vette...because you can't get these from GM anymore....
Go to the hardware store??????......You own a Corvette....This is not a VW Beetle.....or some cheap tuner car.....

Un-believable...........
Old 05-09-2011, 11:36 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

with Midnight as well. As to thieves looking in the console, probly not but I just had my rear tires replaced and the tech just looked in the console for my locking lug nut key. I had forgotten to mention it but where else do ya stash the key? Having to change the tool tip your using to steal something tho is an extra time factor. Not a bad idea.

I do think the tapered bolts are essential. My solid top has a little warp to it and the taper and funnel at the back pulls it down right. Try a Vette recycler to get some "new" ones, they will be worth whatever you hafta pay for them.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:18 PM
jimmymack
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11,'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21,'22-'23-'24

Corvette America sells the bolts and the plastic sleeve. Individually.

Get notified of new replies

To 85 targa bolt thread size

Quick Reply: 85 targa bolt thread size