C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

what should i check? leak and steam on trip today...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 01:23 AM
BowTieBlood
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what should i check? leak and steam on trip today...

Driving back to Lubbock from Austin and I turned into a place in Abiline and saw a trail leading to my car, along with that I saw a small stream of steam rising from under my hood, just behind the engine. My car had been making no odd sounds, nor had it been acting up. I checked my tranny fluid level and oil level and they were high enough. I checked out the stuff ont he ground, and it appeared to be clear or pinkish kind of like tranny fluid, but on the ground, the trail was a dark dark black which made me think oil at first. I'm going to check the power steering fluid tomorrow, but was guessing with as much as ran out that it would have had issues other than me just seeing stuff. My father suggested over the phone that it could be something with the a/c??? :confused: I checked a few hoses and found one that was torn at the ends, but not leaking badly, the liquid around it appeared to just be water though. I drove the rest of the way to lubbock with the a/c off, and THINK that there was no steam or drippage, but it was 8:30 by the time I got here, and apartment parking-lot lighting wasn't too helpful. Any advice? My dad said something about the a/c spewting something out as a possibility but I know ZERO about a/c units and components.

Any ideas before I get a mechanic to check it out so we can lift it???? I might have a friend's lift to use in a few days.

:cheers:
Old 10-13-2003, 07:57 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Default Re: what should i check? leak and steam on trip today... (BowTieBlood)

The A/C evaporator core bleeds moisture through a vent tube under the car, so water ponding of this nature after the A/C has been running for a few moments is normal.

The steam and possible sweet smell that accompanies it, is more than likely engine coolant leaking out from somewhere. I would check the water pump weep hole, the radiator, the radiator cap, and all the hoses and clamps on your coolant system for possible leaks and rubber hose deterioration.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:21 AM
87NassauBlue
Racer

Default Re: what should i check? leak and steam on trip today... (onedef92)

:iagree: Yea, you really need to first identify what that liquid was. I'm thinking evaporator water. Get some on your fingers, feel it smell it. Does it have a viscosity like oil, does it have a color? If so what kind? You might have had a puff of smoke from a drop of water from the ac filter hitting the exhaust manifold. If you think you may have a problem, keep a watch on your fluid levels and expecially your gauges.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:01 PM
BowTieBlood
Melting Slicks

Default Re: what should i check? leak and steam on trip today... (87NassauBlue)

well, liquid wise, the liquid was dark dark black on the pavement, but when you touch it, it was more of a clear with "poopie" in it

we lifted the car the other day during oil change, and couldn't find anything that would cause it

my best guess as of right now is that there appeared to be a little oil outside my passenger side valve cover, so i'm thinking perhaps that tiny seap during the long trip mixed with some of the flying around a/c water from the metal pipes and ran off? it's all fairly close together :crazy:

no problems since though, not even a leak, i do occasionally get a funny smell though, but it could just be lubbock, tx :rolleyes:
Old 10-15-2003, 06:03 PM
BowTieBlood
Melting Slicks

another thing...... one of the mechanics we know said that it's "common" for c4s of these years to have a tiny leak in the oil pan gasket? is that true?
Old 10-16-2003, 07:42 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

another thing...... one of the mechanics we know said that it's "common" for c4s of these years to have a tiny leak in the oil pan gasket? is that true?
I don't know, but I replaced the one on my 1992 with a Fel-Pro brand as a preventive measure.

Get notified of new replies

To what should i check? leak and steam on trip today...

Quick Reply: what should i check? leak and steam on trip today...