C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

94 C4 Radiator shroud & radiator removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 11:36 AM
Ricks94vette
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Default 94 C4 Radiator shroud & radiator removal

Anyone have easy step by step instructions on how to remove the shroud and radiator? I want to straighten the air cooling fins on the front of the radiator.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:10 PM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: 94 C4 Radiator shroud & radiator removal (Ricks94vette)

Just have to go at it taking off the bolts. The hardest part is doing the 6 (3 on each side) at the very front bottom. Takes some u-joints and usually someone with small hands to be able to get down in there. To straighten the fins, just have to use a small screw driver.. being careful of course.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:54 PM
LT4fun
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search in the archives for "Ron Davis radiator install" and you should find a post in the ZR1 section that has some tips in it.

I recently replaced my radiator, so I can tell you what sizes of sockets you'll need. For the bottom screws, at the very bottom of the shroud, you'll need a 7mm socket with some 1/4" drive extensions. For the very top bottom screw, you could try a 1/4" drive universal joint, but I've been able to get it off with a 7mm combination wrench.

The other size sockets you'll need are 10mm and 13mm. A deep well 10mm could come in handy on a couple of the nuts.

If you remove the fans for whatever reason, be sure to install it first before you put the upper shroud back on! I know this from experience! :)

Also, the air conditioning lines might get in the way of removing the upper shroud. If you pull up real hard on the air conditioner condensor lines after you've loosed all of the nuts and bolts, you should be able to slip the upper shroud past the air conditioning lines.

You can also try to bend the a/c lines a little as well.

For putting the lower 7mm screws back in, I used my right arm/hand on the driver's side to get the top screw started in the hole; and I used my left arm/hand on the passenger side to get the top screw started in the hole.

You'll also want to remove the air pump in the driver's side headlight bucket to make getting at the lower 7mm screws easier when you remove/install them.

Oh, and fiberglass will make you itch, so you might want to wear long sleeves or wash often.

One more thing, if you look under your bumper, you can see where those lower 7mm screws stick through the inside of the shroud. You can look to make sure everything is lining up right when you go to intalling the lower screws. You can also check the a/c condensor fitment in the rubber mounts down there also.

Anyway do a search in the archives, and you should be able to find some pictures that might help you out.

Good luck!

Randall

[Modified by LT4fun, 4:56 AM 10/18/2003]

[Modified by LT4fun, 4:58 AM 10/18/2003]
The following users liked this post:
thunder1951 (07-04-2016)
Old 10-18-2003, 01:48 AM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Tech Tips under the "Tools" section top of the page.
This is more for the older C4's but a lot of it applies.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...D=53&TopicID=2
Old 07-19-2018, 09:22 PM
bamaopoly
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More helpful than the FSM

Originally Posted by LT4fun
Do a search in the archives for "Ron Davis radiator install" and you should find a post in the ZR1 section that has some tips in it.

I recently replaced my radiator, so I can tell you what sizes of sockets you'll need. For the bottom screws, at the very bottom of the shroud, you'll need a 7mm socket with some 1/4" drive extensions. For the very top bottom screw, you could try a 1/4" drive universal joint, but I've been able to get it off with a 7mm combination wrench.

The other size sockets you'll need are 10mm and 13mm. A deep well 10mm could come in handy on a couple of the nuts.

If you remove the fans for whatever reason, be sure to install it first before you put the upper shroud back on! I know this from experience!

Also, the air conditioning lines might get in the way of removing the upper shroud. If you pull up real hard on the air conditioner condensor lines after you've loosed all of the nuts and bolts, you should be able to slip the upper shroud past the air conditioning lines.

You can also try to bend the a/c lines a little as well.

For putting the lower 7mm screws back in, I used my right arm/hand on the driver's side to get the top screw started in the hole; and I used my left arm/hand on the passenger side to get the top screw started in the hole.

You'll also want to remove the air pump in the driver's side headlight bucket to make getting at the lower 7mm screws easier when you remove/install them.

Oh, and fiberglass will make you itch, so you might want to wear long sleeves or wash often.

One more thing, if you look under your bumper, you can see where those lower 7mm screws stick through the inside of the shroud. You can look to make sure everything is lining up right when you go to intalling the lower screws. You can also check the a/c condensor fitment in the rubber mounts down there also.

Anyway do a search in the archives, and you should be able to find some pictures that might help you out.

Good luck!

Randall

[Modified by LT4fun, 4:56 AM 10/18/2003]

[Modified by LT4fun, 4:58 AM 10/18/2003]
Thank you!

Get notified of new replies

To 94 C4 Radiator shroud & radiator removal

Quick Reply: 94 C4 Radiator shroud & radiator removal