C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

They say it can't be done but going to do it. Electric Forced-Induction.

Old 11-17-2003, 04:45 AM
BIG JIM 54
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: They say it can't be done but going to do it. Electric Forced-Induction. (COMPVET)

COMVET...

What's a Deteoit?

This AirResearch .95 Turbocharger is off a Detriot Diesel, period. That is a fact. If you've read my entire post, you'd realize my device would only work at wide-open throttle. It work not work at idle by my design.

Your post is entirely non sequitur but thanks for taking the time to post.

I've posted this on the Forced-Induction/Nitrous Topic as well. Just to let you all know there's just the same amount intelligent remarks there.

I thank everyone for there time and feedback.
Old 11-17-2003, 05:51 AM
mistaben
Burning Brakes

Default Re: They say it can't be done but going to do it. Electric Forced-Induction. (red L98)

Im to lazy to grab my physics book and look up all the exact technical information, but from the SOUNDS of it someone WILL be driving a selectively controlled electrically driven postive boost L98 soon!!
:party:
now, i do THINK just from listening you may short the motor from over heating/loading it. that is a lot of juice. but aside from that and probably going to need more juice in general, it sounds like a damn sound plan man. I give you credit on the idea, you are definately no "slow" man.

the part i like is the "selective" option.... :hurray: good luck, it sounds doable to me. and about the injectors, 24lb?

*uh oh, what am i saying, i was flipping out the other night when i started to pull my motor. :skep: :leaving:
Old 11-17-2003, 07:39 AM
Bruthish
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'06-'08-'09

Default Re: They say it can't be done but going to do it. Electric Forced-Induction. (BIG JIM 54)

[QUOTE

I may be in for a rude awakening and I'm not saying that's not a possibility. But to add more background info about myself, my full name is BIG JIM Greenemeyer. If any of you out there are into racing high-end radio-controlled electric cars, you probably have heard the name. I hope this doesn't sound pretentious but I am considered by many as the #1 authority in world on the electric motors that power these cars. I make my living now as a motor consultant to the big companies like Associated Electrics, Team Orion and Trinity Products. I've been building and designing toy car motors for 39 years and have a published book on the subject, BIG JIM'S R/C Motor Black Book" sold by Trafford Publishing. Just type "BIG JIM" in any search browser and my website will come up.
[/QUOTE]

Hey Jim......I have faith in you. Not to hi-jack your thread but I used to race R/C years ago. I raced for Team Cobra...don't even know if they still exist??? I raced along side of Woods racing up in Michigan right as they were getting started on their chassis designs. Anyways...it really does appear that you have all your ducks in a row on this and I can bet you will get it done! I will follow this one also!!!!
Chris
Old 11-17-2003, 01:22 PM
xs650
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: They say it can't be done but going to do it. Electric Forced-Induction. (Bruthish)

"I may be in for a rude awakening and I'm not saying that's not a possibility. But to add more background info about myself, my full name is BIG JIM Greenemeyer."

You might contact Garrett/AirResearch and ask them how much power it will take to pump the air you want to pump at the pressure you want to pump it using the compressor section you have. They can also tell you how fast you will have to spin the compressor to get what you want. If they respond they will also tell you that your compressor diameter is hopelessly mismatched to your engine. But what do they know, they are just a bunch of pointy headed engineers. :eek:

Assuming you don't blow them off as just more naysayers, that will give you your rude awakening now instead of later :jester

What you are proposing requires getting more work out of the compressor section that you are putting into it. Mother nature says :nono: :nono: :nono:

Dick
Old 11-17-2003, 09:11 PM
grandsportfan
Navigator

Default Re: They say it can't be done but going to do it. Electric Forced-Induction. (xs650)

be interesting to see. in theory it would work. my question is how are you going to get air when the "turbo" is not being spun by the electric motor. That thing has to be plummed into the throttle body. when it is shut off there is going to be no air going through to the throttle body. Have you figured out away to get air into the engine with the "turbo" off.

Best of luck, maybe you can make it work.

[Modified by grandsportfan, 8:12 PM 11/17/2003]
Old 11-18-2003, 06:30 AM
silver84
Burning Brakes

Default Re: They say it can't be done but going to do it. Electric Forced-Induction. (BIG JIM 54)

What is the 'power-gain-ratio' of a roots-type 'compressor?
with intercooling...
By that I mean, with, say, ten HP from an electrical source, to drive
a compressor, how
much additional power appears at the wheels?
Old 11-20-2003, 03:18 PM
gramercyjam
Intermediate

I'm not sure why you would want to tray and build a compressor from an electric motor. Easier to install? Cheaper? You imply instant boost is the driver, but would it really be worth it? It may make some HP, but it won't help efficiency, and that is what is so cool about exhaust driven turbos. They remove waste heat from the exhaust and convert that into usable output.

Also, your electrically driven compressor would compete directly with my soon-to-be-marketed-to-the-world low-budget nitro-powered 2-cycle turbo-charged leaf-blower-derived compressor-booster. Not good for my sales. :cry

Kidding aside, I think the direction for turbos is making them better and smarter. Working on ways to increase reliability, efficiency, reduce lag. I read about some technologies being instroduced that cut lag way down, if not eliminate it altogether.

[Modified by gramercyjam, 8:30 PM 11/20/2003]

[Modified by gramercyjam, 8:36 PM 11/20/2003]
Old 11-20-2003, 09:10 PM
George West
Instructor

Default Re: They say it can't be done but going to do it. Electric Forced-Induction. (gramercyjam)

An electric charger is very appealing. It does not need to be driven off a belt or exhaust, so it can be mounted with great flexibility. I went through some quick numbers for available compressors, and 3 side by side large 12v leaf blowers can supply 1000 CFM at 1-2 PSI. At 6000 RPM a 350 will demand about 600 CFM, which 3 blowers could furnish at perhaps 3 PSIG. Lag will always be a problem, unless you spool up before the run. Power required is about 80 amps - a heavy duty alternator would be required.

There is a 100 amp 12 Volt 11" $500 blower used to evacuate smoke from burning buildings. It would work nicely at a pound or two, but 11"? Pretty tight squeeze!

George
Old 11-21-2003, 08:40 AM
TreyZ28
Melting Slicks

Default Re: They say it can't be done but going to do it. Electric Forced-Induction. (George West)

This might just be the worst idea i've ever heard.

Why?

1. if you want 5 or 6 lbs of boost in a chevy 350 witha turbo, you will have ZERO lag. Lag is only found when the engine size is relatively small compared to the turbo size.

5 or 6 lbs?

thats not even 0.4 barr. You can make 1 barr, no problem with zero lag in a V8 as large as a 350 (302s and 4.6's might have a TOUCH of difficulty).

As far as your single turbo thing-
why would it take longer to spool a single than a twin all things being equal?
half the engine spooling a smaller turbo or the whole engine spooling a bigger trubo. ::shrug::

single turbos are much better when possible. Ever wonder why RX7s and Supras are so quick to ditch twins for single?

8 exhaust pulses propperly timed are closer to a constant flow (which is what turbos like) than 4 puses in the same amount of time/rpm.

This is going to be the biggest distaster ever. :lurk:

(ps, A for effort. great idea and mentallity though, thumbs up for that) :cheers:
Old 11-21-2003, 08:45 AM
TreyZ28
Melting Slicks

Default Re: They say it can't be done but going to do it. Electric Forced-Induction. (CentralCoaster)

:withstupid: Especially with a 10:1 mechanical disadvantage.
ding- beat me to it.

you can overdrive the **** out of it, but the taller the gears, the more power you need :) Not to mention the increases strain on it because its fighting a 10:1 ratio. this is a problem a LOT of truck guys have with bigger tires. they need to go upto 4.56 gears just to be driveable.

Old 11-21-2003, 08:47 AM
TreyZ28
Melting Slicks

Default Re: They say it can't be done but going to do it. Electric Forced-Induction. (gramercyjam)

variable pitch fins :hurray:
Old 11-21-2003, 09:44 AM
JoBy
Drifting

Received 216 Likes on 168 Posts

Default Some calculations

I did some calculations in Excel and if my calculations are right then the power required is less than I expexted.

This is the Excel file if anyone want's to verify the calculations or play with the numbers.
http://w1.605.telia.com/~u60513000/t...calc/boost.xls
Old 11-21-2003, 11:39 AM
eschoendorff
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Go for it!!! I've wondered if this would be possible... Hope it works!
Old 11-21-2003, 02:10 PM
Darcane
Instructor

I think it's awesome that someone is doing this on their own, but I have a feeling you may be a little disappointed once you get it all built. I think you may have to do a little redesigning before you get everything all ironed out.

You certainly aren't the first to try this though. Take a look at this article from last year: http://waw.wardsauto.com/ar/auto_visteon_eyes_electric/

Note that they have working systems that take 2kW to make 5.1-5.8 psi on a small displacement engine (I think they are referring to the 1.2L). To make the same pressure on your 5.7L engine, I'd guess you will need about 6-8kW and this kind of draw is probably going to quickly destroy those motorcycle batteries. Maybe look into a pair of deep cycle car batteries (like Optima yellow tops) and a larger/faster motor.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 11-21-2003, 03:27 PM
Darcane
Instructor

Default Re: They say it can't be done but going to do it. Electric Forced-Induction. (TreyZ28)

As far as your single turbo thing-
why would it take longer to spool a single than a twin all things being equal?
half the engine spooling a smaller turbo or the whole engine spooling a bigger trubo.
Inertia. The rate at which you can radially accelerate something depends on the moment of inertia. The moment of inertia is based on the radius squared. So, if you were to double the size of the turbine and compressor wheels, the amount of energy required to spin them up would be four times as much. Two smaller turbos will be more efficient and have less lag because of this.

single turbos are much better when possible. Ever wonder why RX7s and Supras are so quick to ditch twins for single?
Single turbos are used because most of these guys are dyno queens that don't care about driveablity or actual acceleration, just peak horsepower. A single turbo is easier to install on an inline engine like the Supra. A pair of smaller turbos would be a better system (quicker spool up time), but it's more difficult to design and won't produce higher numbers on the dyno so nobody really cares.

What's that old joke... What does a 400hp Supra have in common with a 600hp Supra and an 800hp Supra? Answer: 13 second 1/4 mile time slips.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:16 PM
El Guapo
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '03

Maybe you should take a look at this thread: Electric Supercharger
Thomas Knight Turbos is proud to unleash our awesome new ESC-400 Electric Supercharger. This is not that POS little fan you've seen on eBay that barely pushes 1 PSI. Our product works. This is for real.
Revolutionary Electric Supercharger technology shocks the competition with up to 20 PSI of boost
Yes, we said 20 PSI. In 3/10 of a second. With zero parasitic loss.
Instantly adds 75+ HP with the push of a button
Flows 405 CFM at 5.5 PSI
Compact design fits most engines up to 3.5L (215 cu. in.)
Powerful twin rotor design
CNC 60-16 T6 aluminum billet
Operates on 12V-24V lightweight racing batteries that can recharge in minutes at no additional cost
6 HP x3 electric drive system summons 15,000 watts of instant power
Designed for short 15-second bursts, like Nitrous but without the $2K-$10K in refills annually
Perfect for models with no available blower or turbo kits
Old 11-24-2003, 08:21 PM
TreyZ28
Melting Slicks

Default Re: They say it can't be done but going to do it. Electric Forced-Induction. (El Guapo)

just get a real turbo. you wont have lag with any small boost levels.

dont like lag? spray out of the hole. end of story.

Get notified of new replies

To They say it can't be done but going to do it. Electric Forced-Induction.

Old 11-25-2003, 12:21 AM
xs650
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: They say it can't be done but going to do it. Electric Forced-Induction. (El Guapo)

Does it bother anyone else that the powr and torque curves cross three times on the VW forum curves? The only way that could happen is an error in the dyno software or someone just faked the curves without understanding the relationship between torque and horsepower.

The torque is measured and the horsepower is calculated from the torque and rpm. HP = torque x rpm/5252. They are equal at 5252 rpm and 5252 rpm only.

Dick
Old 11-25-2003, 12:23 AM
TreyZ28
Melting Slicks

Default Re: They say it can't be done but going to do it. Electric Forced-Induction. (xs650)

good catch. there and Zero are the ONLY times a tq curve and HP curve can EVER EVER EVER cross-
that does look a but MS paintish to me :lol:

[Modified by TreyZ28, 12:25 AM 11/25/2003]
Old 11-25-2003, 01:35 AM
George West
Instructor

This Knight blower is interesting. It can supply almost 1/2 atmosphere boost at low airflows (2,500 RPM max), and could be expected to level off at 3-4 psig at max revs. They say that an alternator upgrade is needed, but that is not completely true. However the electric system does need to be able to support very high currents for 30 second periods.

It look likes it could fit, but when you add up the $$, it costs about as much as under-hood blower - and it cannot be run continuously.

Maybe the price will come down....

George

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: They say it can't be done but going to do it. Electric Forced-Induction.