C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Flywheel Balancing revisited, but with a twist.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 10:24 AM
IBEAM700
Safety Car

Location: Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffin glue Orlando
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flywheel Balancing revisited, but with a twist.

Iv checked the archives and it seems when people replace their flywheels they have to move the flywheel weights from the old flywheel to the new flywheel and in the same position as the old flywheel.

My question is, what if you don’t have a flywheel to start with?
When I perform the auto to 6-speed conversion Im going to need a flywheel, but what about the weights? Can I just take my new flywheel to the machine shop and have them neutral balance it?

Don’t tell me the whole engine has to come out to have the entire rotating mass balanced.

Iv read about people in the archives performing this conversion but never found much info about what they did with the flywheel situation.

:cheers:
Old 12-12-2003, 10:52 AM
SPD DMN
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Flywheel Balancing revisited, but with a twist. (IBEAM700)

If it is a stock and unmodified engine, you can simply put in a stock one with the weight in the stock location. I think the weight is in the same place on all of them. Unless your engine is neutral balanced internally, you can not simply neutral balance the flywheel.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:46 PM
No Go
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are speaking of the small fine tuning weights then I don't think they do much unless the engine was significantly out of whack.

The single large weight that acts as a 'counterbalance' should indeed be in the same position on all flywheels/flexplates.

I left all the fine tuning weights off my flywheel when I switched over from the LT1 Camaro flywheel as the holes were not similar to the ZF flywheel I was replacing. I've had the clutch on the car for ~14,000 miles with no ill effects.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:50 PM
SharkB4C4
Safety Car

I'd take both the original flexplate and the new flywheel to a good machine shop to have them "match balance" them.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:45 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

If your car is going to be babied (kept under 4000rpms) then you'll probably be semi okay. Ever notice how identically prepared engines don't produce the same results? Keyword here is BALANCE. If you're lucky, okay, but I have to be good cause I'm sure not lucky as Murphy's Law always bites my AZZ. So, I'd take the rotating mass to a good engine balancer and go with an internal balancing arrangement. That way you can neutral balance your flywheel. But that's me.
Old 12-13-2003, 09:29 AM
FullShred
Advanced

Default Re: Flywheel Balancing revisited, but with a twist. (SharkInShark)

I'd take both the original flexplate and the new flywheel to a good machine shop to have them "match balance" them.
:iagree:

Old 12-22-2003, 03:14 PM
IBEAM700
Safety Car

Location: Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffin glue Orlando
Default Re: Flywheel Balancing revisited, but with a twist. (Vette92)

Thanx for the help, a lot of good info here. :yesnod: :cheers:
Old 12-23-2003, 02:28 PM
NavyVet
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Flywheel Balancing revisited, but with a twist. (Strick)

:iagree: with Strick. Factory balance is "close or ballpark" average for all rotating assemblies. It needs the extra weight on flywheel or flexplate. The weight on both is in the same location. If "close" or "average" is OK with you, you will be fien with a factory weighted flywheel. OTOH, I went to full i9nternal balance & a neutral balance flywheel. Good luck. :flag

Get notified of new replies

To Flywheel Balancing revisited, but with a twist.

Quick Reply: Flywheel Balancing revisited, but with a twist.