C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Trickle charger question

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 10:54 AM
C-4 Cross Fire
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trickle charger question

I had a power drain that drained my battery twice in about two weeks--this was about 2 months ago. I found the power drain and removed the fuse, but the battery evidently didn't get a good enough charge since I only ran the car for only about 1/2 hour. That's when I found the battery dead a second time.

Here's my question: Since I think I'm getting a trickle charger for Christmas (!!!), can I just hook it up and assume the battery will be completely charged after a few days (or weeks?)? How long can/should you leave a trickle charger hooked onto a battery? :confused:

[Modified by C-4 Cross Fire, 9:55 AM 12/23/2003]
Old 12-23-2003, 11:11 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: Trickle charger question (C-4 Cross Fire)

I have a trickle charger I can leave on forever. Once full charge is achieved the charger quits and when it sees voltage drop it starts back up again. I think it is 1 or 2 amps and it's nice and small.

:cheers:
Old 12-23-2003, 11:33 AM
korvette4u
Drifting

Default Re: Trickle charger question (AGENT 86)

I have a trickle charger I can leave on forever. Once full charge is achieved the charger quits and when it sees voltage drop it starts back up again. I think it is 1 or 2 amps and it's nice and small.

:cheers:
or if u not driving ...disconnect battery for the winter
Old 12-23-2003, 11:45 AM
corvette-pilot
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Trickle charger question (korvette4u)

I just bought the "Battery Minder" from http://www.batterymart.com.
You can go there to check it out.

From what I was able to gather a standard charger will allow the battery to drain too much before turning itself back on. The minder somehow checks it electronically to keep it topped off all the time. Plus it uses some sort of pulse technology that is supposed to help restore an old battery ??
Old 12-23-2003, 12:27 PM
Black89
Advanced

Default Re: Trickle charger question (corvette-pilot)

I have a Battery Minder myself that I got from Restoration Battery. I have been using it for the last couple years and love it. It 'desulphates' the battery as well as recharging/trickle charging, which I believe means it keeps the plates clean inside the battery. I hook it up in December and leave it on all winter.
Old 12-23-2003, 12:31 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Re: Trickle charger question (C-4 Cross Fire)

A battery maintainer/trickle charger should easily keep a full charge on a battery. If you have had a couple of instances of a dead battery, I would have it charged with a commercial-style charger that will allow a taper charge to finish it off. Then hook up a maintainer. I have one from Habor Freight: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42292

Just make sure it has the ability to shut itself off.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:07 PM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Default Re: Trickle charger question (c4cruiser)

A battery maintainer/trickle charger should easily keep a full charge on a battery. If you have had a couple of instances of a dead battery, I would have it charged with a commercial-style charger that will allow a taper charge to finish it off. Then hook up a maintainer. I have one from Habor Freight: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42292

Just make sure it has the ability to shut itself off.
That's the same one I have. I've had mine nearly four years and it still works great! :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To Trickle charger question

Quick Reply: Trickle charger question