C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Might be the best upgrade to my car YET! Well minus the motors...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 11:51 PM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Might be the best upgrade to my car YET! Well minus the motors...

Tonight I spent about 2 hours fabbing up the a ratchet shifter in my car. They do not make one that is a direct fit in for our cars, so yes you have to cut up the console. My stock one was getting to the point I wanted to replace it anyways, ratchet shifter or not. So I figured this would be a good time to ruin it or make it better.

So off to the dealership tonight I went. I had a plan I figured would work. It required some minor cuts to the original console then fitting the B&M base to the shifter.

I have some final pictures of the setup. I will take some more detailed ones later. But it turned out great, and man is that shifter about 100X nicer than the original. I think the job turned out really well. Cutting plastic is not the easiest thing to do and keep it straight. Although I think its fine the way it is. I think I am going to get some split trim rubber pieces and put it on the base, where it meets the original console. This will mask any inconsistancies I had in the cut and give it a more finished look. However I think its fine the way it is now. Here are the pictures. Let me know what you think. Can't wait to hammer the gears this spring with no worries about missing gears!!! :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :cheers:

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

[Modified by ski_dwn_it, 11:52 PM 1/27/2004]
Old 01-27-2004, 11:57 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Re: Might be the best upgrade to my car YET! Well minus the motors... (ski_dwn_it)

You should have talked to SEEYAAA (Formerly Kamarorss). He has a ratchet shifter (I think that same one) in his 85 that looks like it came from the factory. I specifically remember him saying how he didn't understand why everyone thought it was a big deal to install.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:05 AM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Default Re: Might be the best upgrade to my car YET! Well minus the motors... (ski_dwn_it)

Looks awfully good from where I'm sitting! :thumbs:
The following users liked this post:
eschoendorff (10-28-2015)
Old 01-28-2004, 12:29 AM
Q1KSLVR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great!

I wouldn't worry about it looking stock with that big azz tach and custom stereo in the dash!

I like it! :thumbs:

Is that a chrome handle or aluminum?
Old 01-28-2004, 12:59 AM
metropolis
Drifting

Default Re: Might be the best upgrade to my car YET! Well minus the motors... (Q1KSLVR)

Looks tight! I can't see the PRENDL though. Does it light up?
Old 01-28-2004, 01:06 AM
Curveit
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

:thumbs: Looks good to me too......and a whole lot safer for that nice new motor, and you!

:chevy
Old 01-28-2004, 01:40 AM
hngacurv
Race Director

Default Re: Might be the best upgrade to my car YET! Well minus the motors... (Curveit)

:cool: Did you have any other problems other than cutting the plastic?
Old 01-28-2004, 01:58 AM
86Moon
Drifting

Schweeeet :yesnod:
Old 01-28-2004, 02:28 AM
pablocruise
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks pretty damn muscle!
ok, I haven't had many automatic cars, so what is the difference between the B&M and stock? Is the B&M for drag racing? Again, I haven't drag raced automatic cars so is there actual slamming of the shifter involved?

[Modified by 89 Paul in Cal, 11:30 PM 1/27/2004]
Old 01-28-2004, 07:53 AM
fmrff
Instructor

Looks great!!!! Ihave a 4 +3, and while she was at the detailer, one of the
"pro's" snapped off the revere release ring. I'm not sure of the name of this part, all I know it was discontinued. After a year of using a screw driver (pre Forum) I found a whole shifter assembly on Ebay. the owner did not want to part the shifter, so I had to buy it whole. Still don't have the nerve to do it myself , so my hat off to you guys that do your own wrenching! :flag
Old 01-28-2004, 08:07 AM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Default Re: Might be the best upgrade to my car YET! Well minus the motors... (scorp508)

Scorp,

There is absolutely no way to get the shifter recessed enough to get it to fit under the stock console. Unless you cut way the fiberglass and remold it. Just isn't going to happen.

I needed to do it the way I did with the B&M shifter console/cover, since 40% of it still stuck up out above the stock console. Not to mention I think it looks better than it did with that gay looking skinny shifter, and totally flat console.
Guess its a matter of opinion. I am very happy with not only the look, its hard to get the full effect with the pictures. But it looks and feels when pretending to go through the gears awesome! Very natural positioning and best of all you can hit it from 1=>2=>3 as hard as you want and it only goes to the next gear. No more babying it through the gears and trying to antisipate the shift light so you can ease it to the next gear. Hammer it when the light comes on now. Our 406s went through 1st gear so fast you nearly had to start easing the stock shifter forward as soon as you left the line. I hated it.

Now things should be much better and I am very pleased with the way it turned out.

For those that asked. yes all that is involved is cutting the stock console plastic. You could as I said get it to fit down in under the stock console, but you would have to cut all the fiberglass out of the mounting area and then reform it. I think it would lead to a VERY tight fit on the tranny as well if you did that. I opted to do it this way. That way all I need to do is get a new console and put the stock shifter back in if need be.

When drag racing, you should manually shift the car. Start in 1st, then go through the gears like a standard, just no clutch. So with this shifter it ratchets, meaning its the same exact motion, same position for all the gears. Saw a car and driver and that is the way the lambos are also. Not that I was trying to be like one of them. I just hated shifting the stock one. The only feel to it was the clicking from the tranny that you had to feel up through the cable. This baby is about as positive as you could get.

Now if someone can help me out to finalize the install. I need the wire diagram for the shifter harness so I can wire in all the wires.

Also cork, this down now have the provision for making sure the shifter is in P to turn the key off. Should that be in the fully pulled out position or the compressed position? I will tape it up and just leave it where it always works. I know you had to do this with your car when you went to an auto. Also with Jims, or didn't your have it? Can't remember. Anyways I can probably look at the old one if you do not know and figure out where it needs to be.

If someone can shoot me that wire diagram I would be very grateful! :cheers:
Old 01-28-2004, 08:08 AM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Default Re: Might be the best upgrade to my car YET! Well minus the motors... (metropolis)

Looks tight! I can't see the PRENDL though. Does it light up?
Yeah I just did not have it wired up yet. Got too late and I still had to plow.! :cry
Old 01-28-2004, 09:28 AM
MrJay
Burning Brakes

Looks cool.....
What tranny do you have in it now?

Jay
Old 01-28-2004, 09:33 AM
GS057
Safety Car

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Default Re: Might be the best upgrade to my car YET! Well minus the motors... (MrJay)

:cool: :cheers:
Old 01-28-2004, 09:36 AM
reallycoolcorvette
Racer

We have the same cordless drill!
Old 01-28-2004, 09:38 AM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Might be the best upgrade to my car YET! Well minus the motors... (MrJay)

Lookin good :cheers: lookin strong :boxing congrats on a job well done.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:47 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

:cool:
Hows the motor comming along ??

[Modified by AGENT 86, 6:48 AM 1/28/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To Might be the best upgrade to my car YET! Well minus the motors...

Old 01-28-2004, 10:04 AM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Default Re: Might be the best upgrade to my car YET! Well minus the motors... (AGENT 86)

Thanks guys for all the comments.

That was a big old monkey off my back. I friggin hated that stock unit. Did I mention that :lol:

Anyways. Its still the same 700R4. Jeb said it would look into a conversion kit for the 350 when time allows. Dad is getting a Rossler T350 for his Chevelle. I will wait and see how that works out for him first, then go from there.

The motor is coming along nicely. Its all machined. We are waiting on the cam so we can do the final mock up, then send it back down to the machine shop to get the assembly balanced. Then its assemble time. Lots of pictures will be taken for that.

Don't think I am not doing anything though. This past weekend we took Dads motor out of the chevelle, what a heavy SOB! Got everything from the dealership to my garage, and tore the heads off it. Big old Iron suckers. GOD are they heavy. I bet they weight 70+ lbs each!

I need to get started on porting and polishing them up, as they are not all that great. They have 310cc runner, but only flow a little better than our 227cc heads for our small blocks. We thought about changing them, but with his new 555 CI motor at 13.5 compression. We are afraid it might get too crazy with good flowin heads. We are shooting for low 10s high 9s on his too. The shortblock will be capable of probably 900+ HP with a killer set of heads, but Dad doesn't want to get the car that radical. So we are sorta de-tuning it with the 310cc heads.

So we are staying awefully busy here. Not to mention work is nuts. :crazy:

I will keep you all posted on the engine status. Cam should be arriving at pittsburgh today/tomorrow at the latest.

See ya :seeya
Old 01-28-2004, 10:13 AM
Tony.96LT4
Burning Brakes

Good looking install! :cheers:
I have the B&M Mega Shifter in my '68 Firebird. Great piece and you'll be able to hammer the gears without fear of going past the gear you really want!!! :smash:
Old 01-28-2004, 01:05 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Scorp,

There is absolutely no way to get the shifter recessed enough to get it to fit under the stock console. Unless you cut way the fiberglass and remold it. Just isn't going to happen.
Well, I can't speak for exactly how. I just remember having the conversation with him. :) Hit him up if you'd like.

Quick Reply: Might be the best upgrade to my car YET! Well minus the motors...