C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Rear Ride Height Difference

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 02:02 PM
The Bus
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear Ride Height Difference

I just measured the rear ride height of my 92 at the center of the rear fender to the lift. I was using 335 35 17 last year autox and the drivers side rubbed the tire and cracked the fender. I was going to raise the rear 3/8 0n b0th sides but after measuring them the passanger side was 7/8 higher than the drivers side. Has anyone else measured their side to side heights? Also since the drivers side is the only side that rubbed, can I get away with jusy rasing that side. Do you think the spring would sag that much over the years? Also the car has been autoX it's whole life. Yes the tires have the same pressure.
Old 02-02-2004, 03:07 PM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07
Default Re: Rear Ride Height Difference (The Bus)

a possibility, may just be a bad spring.... :cheers:
Old 02-03-2004, 11:41 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I used the lowering bolts to even up the ride height as well as to drop the rear slightly; raising one side would be no issue either.

I suspect that having ~150-200lbs more on the driver side over the years tends to cause the springs to droop on that side. I wonder if the C4 in Australia & UK list to the starboard???
Old 02-03-2004, 01:40 PM
95VROOM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I first bought my 95 with 35K on it, the driver's side was almost 3/4 of an inch lower. After I had been driving it a month or so, I took it in for a pre-track inspection since I wanted to go to a performance driving class. My mechanic spotted a delaminating rear transverse spring. Had to have it replaced, good thing he spotted it before it went.

Even after that replacement, the drivers side was about a 1/4 inch lower.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:28 PM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

If someone has removed the spring or the bolts connecting it to the knuckle at some point in time, it could be out of adjustment. If the shims aren't spaced correctly it can cause this, and so can having one of the nuts on the bolts from the spring to the knuckle threaded up higher than the other. Even though the bolts are drilled for a cotter pin it is possible you could have a slight difference in where these nuts are adjusted to.

Try adjusting the nuts to even it up, if that doesn't work remove the bolts from the spring (after removing the preload with a jack of course) and measure each side from the carrier down to see if your spring is shimmed properly.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:00 PM
Mo_Bandy
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Re: Rear Ride Height Difference (vetracer)

I had the same problem only about a half an inch at the rear as well and lower on the drivers side. I put coilovers on back in august and was albe to drop the car about 2 inches, it still clears my 315 35 17s on 11 inch rims. My height from the ground to the center of the fenderwell is right at 27 " with a full tank of gas I'm running 250# per inch springs in the back. I have QA1 shocks with 12 adjustments I usualy am set at 3 and have a very good ride...

I agree it is ether a weight delta or a weak spring I have never weighted the car split in the rear but the rear weighed about 1560 I thinkhat was with close to a full tank of gas.

Mo

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Ride Height Difference

Quick Reply: Rear Ride Height Difference